no intercooler?

old01cobra

Established Member
Don't drive the thing much so I don't care about spending money on gas. Was curious in running a vortech and c14 without any intercooler? Flat tops so 10:1 ish compression looking for 15ish psi for now. Was going to get a ysi but stepped down to the v1 ti trim vortech is making it now. Is this feasible or will the iat's kill me? Was looking at FMIC and Air to water but if I can just run some expensive gas and street it by all means ill do that, save some weight and upfront funding...

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
I would run C85 or Ignite 114. Will still take some careful tuning to make sure you are not knocking. I would think you would need to pay attention to outside air temperature more carefully.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
In a drag application at that boost you'd do fine non-intercooled with the right fuel.
Hot days and a heat soaked car would have me datalogging and reading plugs for safety, but should still be doable.
-J

old01cobra

Established Member
You guys ever ditch the intercooler and just do methanol injection? Trying to get around the whole weight and fabbing of a air to air or air to water? Plus all the plumbing to pressurize. Figured you could spray in the blower and at the tb, help cool the impeller temp and then the charge temp?

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
yes and my buddy right now it doing just that with his Grand national. u will have to completely upgrade ur fuel system and get some meth comparable injectors. it gets about 50% less gas mileage lol but who cares if its a track car.

if ur running a Turbo then u will need a very good boost controller cause with METH that shit comes on fast and hard. way more combustion.

u don't see an intercooler on Big Chiefs car from Street Outlaws? nope.

You guys ever ditch the intercooler and just do methanol injection? Trying to get around the whole weight and fabbing of a air to air or air to water? Plus all the plumbing to pressurize. Figured you could spray in the blower and at the tb, help cool the impeller temp and then the charge temp?

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Me personally no but no some guys running multiple meth nozzles over a cooler with good results.
Good octane fuel plus meth/water injection would be a great non intercooled alternative
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
yes and my buddy right now it doing just that with his Grand national. u will have to completely upgrade ur fuel system and get some meth comparable injectors. it gets about 50% less gas mileage lol but who cares if its a track car.

if ur running a Turbo then u will need a very good boost controller cause with METH that shit comes on fast and hard. way more combustion.

u don't see an intercooler on Big Chiefs car from Street Outlaws? nope.
He means meth Injection not going straight M1 for fuel
-J

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
yea I jus re-read that lol well that would be a poor idea cause the intake temps would still be too high. Methanol and intercooler temperature reductions are cumulative.

The intercooler stays at ambient temps and the blower heats up the air. like 10 degrees per pound of boost approx.

methanol just isn't used much with blowers. I guess more with cent vs roots it mite be. and meth will obviously affect ur air/fuel ratio where as an intercooler will not.

He means meth Injection not going straight M1 for fuel
-J

Brutal Metal

Established Member
By your screen name I'm guessing 01 cobra? There is a way to offset the weight of that FMIC, just remove the bumper support and replace it with a chromoly Donathen Racing piece. My intercooler, piping and Donathen weighed the same poundwise as the oem steel bumper support, ZERO lbs added by the intercooler. I'm currently in the 14lbs of boost range.
Here's a couple photos.

10.jpg
svtcobra394.jpg

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Oh yeah to answer the question Meth is effective for making power and adding a safety measure to pump gas. I don't see you having a detonation advantage with it over that race fuel your running though.

old01cobra

Established Member
Oh yeah to answer the question Meth is effective for making power and adding a safety measure to pump gas. I don't see you having a detonation advantage with it over that race fuel your running though.
what intercooler is that? How well is it keeping the charge air down?

thanks for the idea....

KEVINS

Established Member
Leave it as is. If you want it to be faster by removing the IC then leave it as-is and make more power to compensate for the additional weight. The IC is there for a good reason.

ks

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Leave it as is. If you want it to be faster by removing the IC then leave it as-is and make more power to compensate for the additional weight. The IC is there for a good reason.

ks
The OP doesn't have an intercooler yet, those pics were of my car.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
what intercooler is that? How well is it keeping the charge air down?

thanks for the idea....
GodSpeed Spec V. I'm in bigtime heat in west central Florida, my car sits in the garage for 7 months of the year, my season for driving it is Nov through March. I'm making 14 lbs with a 3.1/ATI damper (oem size) so not much loss if any and my IAT's are very good in 60-75 degree weather, no timing getting pulled in logs.
As far as 95 degree summers don't have info on that..

nxhappy

Established Member
FMIC wouldn't be too hard to fab up, I did it on my 00 GT

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
I ran my Pushrod car non-intercooled because I had to. With tons of Meth.. PITA.. Still saw high IAT's.. There's NO REPLACEMENT for an intercooler.. I've never seen more than 10 degrees above ambient with my TR1245....

Users who are viewing this thread