Not happy with H&R Sport spring, going with cut down stocks

FIREBALL

Established Member
Im not happy with my H&R Sport Spring especially the rears. After the rears settled (sagged) there are 5 1/2 dead coils and 2 1/2 working coils, giving me a short choppy ride mostly in the rear. Also after they settled the rear is 2+" lower and they were only supposed to drop rear about 1 5/8--------------Im going back to stock springs with one coil cut off in the rear, which is what a few here said I should have done to begin with. According to other threads and post that I have read the 1 coil cut stock spring will actually ride better than the H&Rs. To me there is just something wrong with having more than a couple dead coils, guess thats the nature of progressive springs, so Im going back to the stock linear springs that I know most of the coils are working.

FIREBALL

Established Member
Any thoughts, opinions and/or experience on this would be much appreciated. Thanks

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Have you contacted H&R? It sounds like a quality issue. I've never ran the Sports. My 04 had the Race when I bought it and it rode fine to me. I only upgraded to coil overs because I went with a MM k member and I wanted the adjustment at all four corners.

On my 01 I ran terminator springs with half a coil cut all the way around. No isolators up front and just the bottoms in the rear. Those along with take off Bilsteins made for a pretty decent ride.

FIREBALL

Established Member
I contacted H&R when first installed before they settled they had 4 1/2 dead coils, they told me that was normal. I guess it depends on who considers what is normal. Other than some post where people say never cut a spring I read many post that say the one cut coil lowers 1 1/2" and work great, so I think Im going to give it a try. I have done this on one other car with fair results. I do know not to cut with a torch.
With all the dead coils and 2 1/2 working coils I dont think that the springs work progressively and it doesnt ride like it.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I agree with never cut a progressive spring. But as long as you don't go crazy cutting a linear spring isn't bad IMO. I wouldn't go more than a coil personally. One of the reasons I went with the 03/04 springs is they're stiffer than the 99/01 spring and sit a little lower at stock height. I want to say with the set up I had my 01 was about 1.75" lower than stock.

98_Undertaker

Established Member
I ran H&R super sports on the front of mine for a while and it was a rough ride, now have cut springs up front with a coil and a half cut and no iso's.

pic for reference.

SVT_Colin_01

Established Member
I have the Sports on mine and did notice that the drop was a lot more than advertised but was actually what I was looking for. I am happy with mine overall. For a few months I was rolling around on stock shocks and struts and it rode alright. I now have Koni Adjustable shocks and struts and it rides a lot better! It's all a matter of opinion really and what you are looking for.

FIREBALL

Established Member
Here is the verdict----- I removed the rear H&Rs and installed my cut down stocks (1 coil) and the difference is remarkable. The ride is so much smoother and the rear drop is 1 1/2" instead of 2" with the H&Rs. I still have the front H&Rs but they dont have as many dead coils as the rears did and have a good ride. So what about handling? The handling is good or better and I mean this car handles really well---I have the eibach rear sway bar. 5 1/2 dead coils with the H&R rear springs never made any sense to me. Next up I will be installing Tokico spec D shocks front and rear.

Users who are viewing this thread