NT05R or MT ET Street S/S or MT ET Street R

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
Has anyone compared the MT ET Street S/S, MT ET Street R and the Nitto NT05R?

If so, which is the best all around street/strip drag radial tire?

I've got NT555 285/35-18 on all 4 corners and the car is a great corner carver, but I want some good drag radials for the strip and street also.

I'd like to go with a 305/45-18 on the rear, but I need something very sticky as it will blow the tires off at 100mph.

fulanititoo8198

Established Member
For ALL around I would say the S/S since you can drive it on the street and in the rain (still requires caution). They are very temp sensitive. My 295/55/15 S/S MT's will spin in 4th on cooler days <70 deg, but once they are heated up they hook hard in 3rd. I don't think they will last very long though, maybe 5k mi. for me. I'm 6 speed though, auto I might sway more towards the NT05R, but no person experience there.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
Thanks! I asked the same question over on another forum and got 2 really useless replies. I won't be back there.

Yeah, from what I read, the ET S/S has a stiffer sidewall than the ET R, where the R is more strip oriented. The R is probably the best if I'm just driving it back and forth from the house to the strip, but the car goes to weekend shows, road course events, meet ups, etc., so I need something a little safer than the R would be on the street.

So, I guess it falls down to NT05R vs MT ET S/S.....decisions, decisions.

evolve

Established Member
I am an advocate of the softer sidewall, so the R would be my choice.

Thanks! I asked the same question over on another forum and got 2 really useless replies. I won't be back there.

Yeah, from what I read, the ET S/S has a stiffer sidewall than the ET R, where the R is more strip oriented. The R is probably the best if I'm just driving it back and forth from the house to the strip, but the car goes to weekend shows, road course events, meet ups, etc., so I need something a little safer than the R would be on the street.

So, I guess it falls down to NT05R vs MT ET S/S.....decisions, decisions.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
I had the NT-05R's and it wouldn't hook from a 2nd gear roll in my TT/GT at 640 RWHP Auto. I was very disappointed to say the least.

Switched to the MT ET/SS and they hook great! Never looked back.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
Talked to the crew at Bumbera's Performance and they recommended the MT ET Street S/S also.

Looks like the majority prefers them, so I guess my mind is made up. I'll try the MT ET Street S/S.

Thanks everyone!

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
I am thinking about this as well. I am right at 800 on the tires and street tires are flat out dangerous. I would like to stay with a 20" wheel and i think mt makes the ss in that size? Please let us know how that tire works out for you.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
Now I just have to figure out if I want the 305/35R18 or the 305/40R18 size....

The 305/35R18 will be roughly 1.5 inches taller in overall diameter than the 285/35R18 I'm currently running.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
Yeah, I ordered the 305/35. I'm not sure when I'll be back in town to get them mounted, but I'll let everyone know how well they hold up.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
Now to just get back home and have them mounted and balanced. So sick of traveling for work...
download_20170224_231013.jpg
download_20170224_231010.jpg
download_20170224_231001.jpg

351stang

Beast ZL1
Established Member
I'll jump in this thread because I just got ET Street SS's 315-35-17 to replace the same "size" Nitto 555R's. The ET SS's were mounted on a 10.5" rim vs. the stock 9" rims with the Nittos. The ET's measure almost 1.5" wider.

Overall they are much better on the street and the track. I can actually floor it in first on a good street surface. I ran a best 60' of 1.79 and have improvement to go.

I like them in the dry. No experience in the wet yet, but hope to avoid it if possible.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
Holy crap. I'll make sure the guys mounting them record how much weight each takes and will include it with my update.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
Well, didn't get the balance weight info after I asked for it. Meh.

But, at 32psi on the street, they grip way better. They still break loose but regain traction pretty quickly. They do fairly decent with a 4000rpm launch, under no boost.

I'll drop them down to 20psi and give another update.

Users who are viewing this thread