NY state comptroller pressures credit card issuers to reject gun related purchases

MFE

Established Member
And now NY's State Comptroller is pressuring credit card issuers to deny purchases of guns, ammunition, and firearm accessories, citing financial risk to institutional investors, such as the State of NY.

https://www.cutimes.com/2018/04/16/cus-mainly-muted-response-to-nys-gun-push-on-card

Some organizations distancing themselves from allowing certain types of gun purchases.
New York’s Office of the State Comptroller has asked Mastercard, Visa, JPMorgan Chase, Bank of America, Wells Fargo and other card issuers and processors to consider rejecting purchases of guns, ammunition and firearm accessories, calling attention to risks that card issuers may face for doing so.

CU Times reached out to a number of credit union organizations and, for now, they had little to say about the apparent growing trend of card issuers distancing themselves from gun-related purchases.

In the March 29 letter to Mastercard, for example, Comptroller Thomas P. DiNapoli noted that the state’s pension fund, of which he is a trustee, is a shareholder in Mastercard. DiNapoli said credit card companies were not immune from reputational risk and that the idea of financial institutions refusing to do business with retailers that sell assault weapons was gaining traction.

“Based on the Fund’s experience as a long-term investor, I believe that sustainable business practices — including responsible social practices — and the ability to mitigate reputational risk are hallmarks of a company with a sound, sustainable, and profitable long-term strategy,” the letter said. “If Mastercard continues to allow its services to be used for purchasing firearms and accessories — particularly if gun violence continues unabated in society — public outcry and calls for action may grow and create significant financial risk for the company.”

“As a long-term institutional investor in your company, I request that Mastercard assess the risks associated with its services being used in the purchase of firearms, ammunition and accessories, and explore the operational and financial cost of implementing a system that could reject the purchases of these items in order to ameliorate such risks,” it added.

Some card issuers have recently taken steps to distance themselves from the gun industry.

In an interview with Bloomberg Television on April 10, for example, Bank of America co-vice chairman Anne Finucane said the financial institution will stop lending to manufacturers of military-style weapons for civilian use.

Last month, Citigroup rolled out a new policy forbidding retailer clients from selling bump stocks or high-capacity magazines, selling guns to people under 21 years old or selling guns to people who haven’t passed background checks.

“We know our clients also care about these issues and we have begun to engage with them in the hope that they will adopt these best practices over the coming months. If they opt not to, we will respect their decision and work with them to transition their business away from Citi,” the company said.

In the days after news of the comptroller’s letters broke, CU Times asked several credit union leagues whether they’d heard of any credit union card issuers receiving similar requests to restrict gun-related purchases, whether they felt credit unions faced similar pressure to restrict gun-related purchases, and whether it was feasible or acceptable for credit union card issuers to implement gun-related card restrictions.

“We are aware of the comptroller’s letters that were sent to the heads of some of the nation’s largest banks, credit card companies and payments processors,” the New York Credit Union Association spokesperson said in a statement to CU Times.

“The letters were sent from his perspective as overseer of the state pension fund, which owns shares in these companies. To the best of our knowledge, no New York credit unions have been asked by any government official or agency to restrict transactions related to the legal sale of firearms or gun components. As an association, we have not taken a formal position on this, and it wouldn’t be appropriate for us to comment further,” the spokesperson added.

“We have not had this issue come up in Pennsylvania,” Pennsylvania Credit Union Association Senior Vice President Michael Wishnow said. “Neither has it come up from any regulators. If it would come up, we here in Pennsylvania would run it by our regulatory review committee made up of credit union professionals before taking a position on any such request.”

The League of Southeastern Credit Unions & Affiliates, the Mountain West Credit Union Association, the Illinois Credit Union Association and NAFCU had no comment.

tistan

Established Member
I really don't understand why more conservative companies aren't popping up to give us the opportunity to exclude having to use liberal companies that try to govern our lives. I would think there is much money to be made by catering to people on the right.

Blown 89

Established Member
The stupidity never ends. The left has gone so far off the rails I worry about the impact it will have on this country's future.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I already saw where Citi Card was saying they weren't going to process with firearm merchants anymore, I'll be cancelling that card before the renewal fee hits (need to use my points they owe me first)

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
Leftist were trying to strongarm Wells Fargo to do the same. The other day WF came out saying they will continue to do business with the firearm industry. They aren't my favorite bank, but nice to know the accounts I keep with them for convenience, won't need to be closed.

MFE

Established Member
Leftist were trying to strongarm Wells Fargo to do the same. The other day WF came out saying they will continue to do business with the firearm industry. They aren't my favorite bank, but nice to know the accounts I keep with them for convenience, won't need to be closed.

Yes. It's too bad I hate them for the way they've ****ed over customers in the past, but this is a refreshing position as laid out in a response to a "thank you for standing firm" email they got from a customer I know:

thank you for your email regarding the recent news coverage
citing Wells Fargo as a financial institution that provides loans and
other services to the firearms industry.

Like you, all of us at Wells Fargo, we have been deeply saddened and
troubled by the increasing number of senseless firearms-related
tragedies in our homes, communities, and schools. We understand the
anger being expressed as well as the call for some type of action to be
taken.

Our company believes the best way to make progress on these issues is
through the political and legislative process, in which all citizens
have the opportunity to participate.
We understand the national debate
about gun control and safety has been a highly emotional and divisive
one. It is our hope that our team members, customers, and third parties
can work together respectfully through that process to determine what
additional steps our society can take to enhance public safety.

Wells Fargo provides banking services to a wide variety of customers,
including thousands of nonprofit organizations, special interest groups,
and advocacy organizations. Firearms manufacturers are also among the
hundreds of different industries that Wells Fargo banks. It is generally
not our practice to comment specifically on the nature or terms of
customer or client relationships - whether a consumer, company, or
organization.

Our role as a bank is to lend responsibly and offer related services to
customers, companies, and projects that meet all necessary legal
requirements and policies. With respect to gun manufacturers, we have a
strict due diligence process to ensure that each adheres to all state
and federal laws before accepting them as customers. In addition, we are
reaching out to our consumer firearms industry manufacturers,
distributors and retailers to engage in a dialogue and ensure that they
hear input we've received from our customers, team members, investors
and members of the community. Our role as a bank is to lend responsibly
and offer related services to customers, companies, and projects that
meet all necessary legal requirements and policies.

When dealing with issues of this magnitude there are no easy or quick
solutions. And, as our CEO has publicly stated, he does not believe that
the American public wants banks to decide which legal products consumers
can and cannot buy.
What we can pledge is that Wells Fargo will be a
thoughtful participant in the dialogue - especially with our customers -
and listen carefully to all voices and all points of view in this
debate, and take each of them seriously.

Ensuring that you have the best possible banking experience is of the
utmost importance to us, as you truly are a valued customer.

On behalf of Wells Fargo, thank you for your business. I appreciate the
opportunity to address your concerns and hope that you find the
information I provided helpful.

Sincerely,

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
Yes. It's too bad I hate them for the way they've ****ed over customers in the past, but this is a refreshing position as laid out in a response to a "thank you for standing firm" email they got from a customer I know:
Agreed, they have a lot of negatives, but when it comes to supporting our rights, they've stood firm. Aside from WF, NavyFed is the only other I have that doesn't give me shit about being a dealer.

TheShadow

Hey, you're a funny guy.
Established Member
Scary times, but I can't see this standing. If we have to sell wedding cakes to same sex couples, that sets a precedent that we can't choose our customers, nor deny service. If I was an attorney' I'd be salivating right now.

@SID297, thoughts?

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Scary times, but I can't see this standing. If we have to sell wedding cakes to same sex couples, that sets a precedent that we can't choose our customers, nor deny service. If I was an attorney' I'd be salivating right now.

@SID297, thoughts?

Eh, don't feel like burning the braincells on this one right now. I'm just glad I live in SC, where reason prevails.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I saw this, felt this, coming months ago. Very upsetting times we are living in. IMO, the perception is that the left/liberals/activists are rolling, and are the majority. They're shouting the loudest. These financial institutions and corporations are cowering to them. The blue states are feeling it first. It's going to get worse until the true majority, the right, takes a real stand. JMO.

mustangvsix

4 point 6
Established Member
Seems like an open business opportunity for someone with a spine to snatch up the corporate business. At the end of the day we can always pull cash out and do business in good ol green dollar bills.

Users who are viewing this thread