O.J. Simpson is up for parole this Thursday

VegasMichael

Established Member
It's my understanding(although I may be incorrect) that although he cannot profit from the murders he is still able to make money in other ways: appearances, autographs, etc. What I am unsure about is if he still owes money from the huge civil judgment levied against him by Ron Goldman's father.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
OJ was not found innocent by the jury. He was found not guilty, which is different. Not guilty means that the prosecution has failed to meet its burden of proof. There were several things that sunk that trial, one of them was the fact the courts did not understand DNA evidence in 1995, it was still a fairly new thing then. There was actually considerable DNA evidence that tied him to the crime, but the whole glove thing and no murder weapon really torpedoed the trial. They weren't going to convict on DNA alone.

Well considering we are all "innocent until proven guilty" and there is no "innocent" judgement, he was found to be innocent.

Regardless of how you feel about OJ, and i'm by no means saying his is innocent, no one has been able to prove anything beyond a reasonable doubt to a jury of peers. He can't/shouldn't be held accountable for something he wasn't found guilty of.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
Regardless of how you feel about OJ, and i'm by no means saying his is innocent, no one has been able to prove anything beyond a reasonable doubt to a jury of peers. He can't/shouldn't be held accountable for something he wasn't found guilty of.

No he shouldn't be held accountable for anything but this case although he was found liable in a civil court for two murders.

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
4338999.jpg

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
Don't get me wrong, I can see where someone (even I do to a degree) would feel this way.

It's just a really, really bad sign of the way things are in our justice system. Like it or not, the rules are setup to favor not convicting a innocent person. Unfortunately this sometimes means letting someone who may be guilty go.

Take away that system and replace it for one of revenge and you set a dangerous precedent. I would rather see 10 guilty men go free than one innocent one be convicted.

Personally, from looking at the evidence the public was presented back in the day, I'd say he was guilty. But I wasn't there in the courtroom. He was judged by a jury to be innocent and according to our laws that means it cannot be used against him for future punishment or crimes.
yeah man I kinda agree with your point.

Last edited:

2000gt4.6

Established Member
OJ was not found innocent by the jury. He was found not guilty, which is different. Not guilty means that the prosecution has failed to meet its burden of proof. There were several things that sunk that trial, one of them was the fact the courts did not understand DNA evidence in 1995, it was still a fairly new thing then. There was actually considerable DNA evidence that tied him to the crime, but the whole glove thing and no murder weapon really torpedoed the trial. They weren't going to convict on DNA alone.

Regardless, what I say stands. He was not convicted, you can't be tried twice for the same crime regardless of technology advancement.

Holding him in prison now due to crimes he was previously not convicted on is wrong.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Regardless, what I say stands. He was not convicted, you can't be tried twice for the same crime regardless of technology advancement.

Holding him in prison now due to crimes he was previously not convicted on is wrong.

No shit...I didn't mention anything regarding being tried for the same crime again.

Coiled03

Established Member
I think he was guilty as hell. But, he's served the sentence the court gave him. If he's eligible for parole, I see no reason not to grant it to him.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
I think he will be released. From what I've heard he will be getting a big payday when he is released from his NFL pension. I don't know how much he will actually get to keep. I think all of it because even though he has a civil judgment I don't think they can touch that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
He hasn't paid $1 of the civil settlement against him, it's ridiculous.
I think he will be released. From what I've heard he will be getting a big payday when he is released from his NFL pension. I don't know how much he will actually get to keep. I think all of it because even though he has a civil judgment I don't think they can touch that.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
He hasn't paid $1 of the civil settlement against him, it's ridiculous.

I'm sure he hasn't but didn't they get a lot of his assets for money like his heisman? I'm not defending the guy just stating what I've heard.

VegasMichael

Established Member
^Many of his assets were seized which is why he did the robbery. He mistakenly thought they were still his. But they were taken to pay what he owed. His pension from the NFL is a pittance. Not enough to live on.

coposrv

Established Member
Don't get me wrong, I can see where someone (even I do to a degree) would feel this way.

It's just a really, really bad sign of the way things are in our justice system. Like it or not, the rules are setup to favor not convicting a innocent person. Unfortunately this sometimes means letting someone who may be guilty go.

Take away that system and replace it for one of revenge and you set a dangerous precedent. I would rather see 10 guilty men go free than one innocent one be convicted.

Personally, from looking at the evidence the public was presented back in the day, I'd say he was guilty. But I wasn't there in the courtroom. He was judged by a jury to be innocent and according to our laws that means it cannot be used against him for future punishment or crimes.

Very well said and I agree 100%. His acquittal on the murder charges should have no bearing on his current incarceration and odds of parole.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
I hope he's paroled.

Yes, 90% of OJs book proceeds went to the families with the other 10% going to a trust to pay his creditors. The criminal and civil cases wiped him out and in way it was a fate worse than a life sentence. Going from celebrity to reviled villain, unable to find work, blacklisted, broke, but that bitch Karma was done yet. That 9-33 year sentence for robbery, kidnapping and assault was icing on the cake.

OJ is rich broke, which isn't a bad thing.

Users who are viewing this thread