Ok to mismatch flywheel and clutch brands?

88_50

Established Member
Is it ok to mismatch flywheel and clutch brands? When I had this 4v balanced with a Spec aluminum flywheel, I wasn't thinking ahead on the clutch options. I just grabbed what I had in the shop. It had a stock flywheel and Center Force clutch when I first pulled it apart 2 years ago.

Here is my concern...While the Cobra was apart, I needed to replace the clutch in my '06 Saleen. Once it was apart, I found it had a Spec aluminum flywheel and a Center Force clutch. The clutch was fine until I took it to the track. It let go after a couple passes. I replaced the Spec flywheel insert, and installed a McLeod twin disc. The clutch again was short lived. I called McLeod about having it rebuilt, and he told me its because its not made to be used on a Spec flywheel. I must use their flywheel and clutch together. I came across a new Exedy Hyper twin disc/flywheel assembly and decided to use it instead. I cant say enough about the Exedy twin. It is amazing.

So back to my question at hand. If I were to install a Exedy Mach 500 on this Cobra with the Spec flywheel, do I run into the same issues as the Saleen. Regardless of 3 or 4 valve, 4.6 is a 4.6. So are all the clutch/flywheel manufacturers making their disc to flywheel contact a different size? Or...what am I missing? The last thing I want to do is pull the motor back out of the car, rip it apart, and rebalance it to some other flywheel brand, because I definitely do NOT want to run a Spec clutch.

Thanks in advance on explaining my options to me.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
i don't think that brand name matters so much, but i think what mcleod may have been saying is that their twin disc must be installed with a flywheel that is made for it.

for example, they built my rxt with my existing fidanza flywheel, but first they needed to machine it accordingly. they usually build their twin discs as a balanced assy with the flywheel, and i think other companies may do the same.

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
I have the 2 piece spec flywheel with a mcleod twin disk. No problems yet

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I know with the RST/RXT there's an issue with the center hub being too big for the opening on some flywheels. I haven't personally dealt with it, but I've seen it on s197. You can mix and match clutches and flywheels, just make sure there's clearance as needed.

Users who are viewing this thread