Opinions needed for the next mod Blower/Turbo

4stang6

Established Member
Hello guys, I searched a bit and found a few opinions from the past, Now days our cars have had a bit more options so I would have to get some updated advice.
I'm looking to spend a max of around 4-5K on the new power adder, Currently sitting on a stick Eaton still, And before anyone ask, NO I don't want to port it before moving on, I want to move forward with a new Combo.
Looking at the following options, And in looking for used prices, Not new.

Procharger F1A kit.
On3 Turbo Kit
2.9 Whipple
2.3 VMP

I'm really leaning towards the On3 Kit, Maybe making some adjustments to the kit, But make sure i don't exceed over 5k while doing so.
I've seen some of those kits on these cobras make decent power, any opinions on those kits?
F1A procharger kit, Seems like alot has to be modified to run, But they too seem to make good power, and my last cobra that was a 96 had a D1 that made over 600rwhp.
2.3 VMP and 2.9 whipples appears to be a direct bolt on replacement, Is there alot of heat that is generated with this setup to potentially run into excessive heat at high boost?

Help me if y'all would with y'alls opinions. Hopefully people who have the current kits can chime with with their experiences.

Thanks guys!

UnrealSVT

Established Member
You never mentioned the most important thing...octane.

What fuel are you planning on running, and with what fuel system? Also what cooling and supporting mods do you have to battle the heat brought on by the twin screw options?

You should start with whether or not you're going to run pump gas, E85 etc. And what capability your fuel system will have.

THEN pick your ideal route of forced induction.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I second the above statements. We need more info. I have 7k+ in my tvs setup. I bought all new.

s351

Established Member
If your budget is 5k, don't even think turbo, you will hate your car because you will have nothing but issues a turbo setup done right is 10k+. F1A on a stock motor stick car will be a dog and not fun to drive on the street, if you had a higher compression motor to get you rolling it would be more of an option. Your best bet is a tvs/whipple in your price range 4/5 grand doesn't go very far once you start adding in fuel systems, upgraded clutch, injectors, mafia, stuff like that it add's up quick.

Unless your buying used, your budget is going to be super tight.

UnrealSVT

Established Member
Unless your buying used, your budget is going to be super tight.

Absolutely. I mean, used tvs with some 56-60lb injectors, boost a pump maf upgrade and 93 octane tune you may be in the "realm" of your 5k budget. But if you want more power your budget is going to nosedive with just the fuel system alone.

JKDSVT

Established Member
Your budget is low. I'd aim for Whipple/TVS/KB.

2003 Redfire Cobra - 3.4 Whipple, Return Fuel System, T56 Magnum, Built SRA, Killer Chiller, etc
700whp on 93 octane at 20psi

4stang6

Established Member
Sorry guys,
Yes I'll be on 93 Octane as nowhere near my town offers E85.Nearest E85 pump is roughly 150 miles away lol.

I do plan on used parts as well, I've seen the TVS and 2.9 Whipple for sale quite a bit for 2400 to 2700.

For Fuel system, I should be build 1 for around 900 I would think.

BUT to battle the heat from the twin screw I don't have anything, Not even a 170 Thermostat.
Is their certain parts y'all would recommend for that?

Like I said , I'm trying to stay within that budget, if I exceed it a bit, I guess I'll be better off than having to rebuild the engine.
It does have a built motor with factory compression too.

4stang6

Established Member
Also forgot to mebtion, I do all my labor as well,
Fuel system I get a local shop to make a steel braided -8an line for less than $75.
And use the current feed line as the return like the Lethal Performance kit.

bigmoose

Established Member
Also, I'm only looking to be in the 600 to 700rwhp range.
On 93 octane set your expectations to 600whp with a twin screw.

At that power you could get away with just pumps and an upgraded FPDM. You get better drivability with a return system and room to grow but it's alot more $$. I ran twin GT pumps with a BAP on my old setup making 600whp on 93 without issue.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

cj428mach

Established Member
Also forgot to mebtion, I do all my labor as well,
Fuel system I get a local shop to make a steel braided -8an line for less than $75.
And use the current feed line as the return like the Lethal Performance kit.

Its not the fuel line thats really expensive its all the AN fittings, hat/pumps, and wiring harness. I had free tunes for life from Amazon and with that I was able to add a used Whipple, SCT2400 MAF, BAP, SBTB and 60lb injectors for about $3250. A budget or Fore Level 1 return fuel system will push you close to $1300 by the time you install it, but you can subtract the BAP price ($200) so with a tune thrown in there you're very close to $5k. That would leave you with a few $100 to play with and maybe get a lower thermostat, heat exchanger, an extra pulley etc.

4stang6

Established Member
I currently do have a Afco Dual Pass Heat Exchanger as well.
As much as i can safely i guess, Its not the same beast, But with my 96 Cobra i ran 22lbs of boost with the D1SC. Never had an issue out of it, and beat the shit out of it every weekend just about.
On my car now , i do have a KB Bap too.
I would hope to run around the range of 17-18 psi.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
17-18 psi is a good range to be in on 93. You could add torco for a little safety and maybe run a tad more.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Having had both a 2.9 Whipple and TVS I'll tell you on pump gas there's no question the TVS will be better for you. On pump gas I couldn't spin the 2.9 very hard and had to pull timing to stop detonation. It made the mid range and torque curve pretty lazy. The ported / pulley'd Eaton had a much higher "fun to drive" factor than my 2.9 did at 20 lbs of boost.

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
Good call on skipping the port. It's cool for about a season then feels slow again-ported cobra owner

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
My suggestion is save to next season and do it right. So many owners try to make power with limited budgets and hate their cars after. You will need a lot more than just fuel and a blower, you'll need a clutch, at that point you should upgrade the IRS or just never ever race it, fuel, tune, blower, misc bullcrap, heat exchanger, cooling mods, injectors and MAF. Can you do it for 5k? Sure if you shop around and wait on parts cut some corners. If it were me I'd save up another grand or two and give me the ability to do stuff right.

Rambro

Established Member
With that budget I'd say try and find a used 2.3 blower (whipple will be cheapest) and upgrade throttle body, injectors, mafia, and maybe try to squeeze in a budget return system and run e85. with that budget you'll have to buy mostly used stuff but it's doable. As long as you're not launching the car on slicks you can get by on stock IRS, I'm not sure how long the 10 spline clutch will last tho. Just make sure you run drag radials at about 25 psi to prevent wheel hop.

4stang6

Established Member
TVS is it.
To achieve 650rwhp, Will it be able to do it on 93oc and dual ford gt pumps with 60lb injectors?
Or will I need to go returnless?

Users who are viewing this thread