Orbital Polisher Recommended Pads, Compounds, & Polishes?

greyhd

Established Member
I am trying to get back into detailing and have not kept up with the advancements in the products being offered now. My question is what do all of you recommend or use for Pads, Compounds, & Polishes for a 2002 HD or any other car. I am noticing some spider web swirls on my DD(Lexus) and the HD is in decent shape. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you. I should also note that I have an orbital polisher.

blue 07

Established Member
don't know what you have for a polisher but I use a Flex 3401 but do have 2 porter cable polishers as well. I use Adams Premium Car Care, check out there site and amazing products. Not the cheapest, but you get what you pay for in the detailing world. Just because its convenient at the box store doesn't make it a good product, just convenient to get. Check out a couple posts on this site for more pics
IMG_4233.JPG post-10998-0-31068900-1449750095.jpg post-10998-0-28178200-1397526052.jpg post-10998-0-89280800-1397526064.jpg IMG_4260.JPG Daves GTO.jpg IMG_2921.JPG post-10998-0-98658000-1460291481.jpg post-10998-0-48797800-1493034585.jpg

Imatk

Established Member
For me pads are the most finicky. I use M105 and M205 but pads vary depending on the paint.

I've had more luck with foam pads than anything else, Lake Country. Occasionally I can go with a microfiber... just depends on the paint.

A lot of times the microfiber just gums up too quickly and skips like crazy... although I sometimes can finish easier with a microfiber... just depends.

I use a Metabo rotary btw

KEVINS

Established Member
Having a black car that I occasionally show I studied the crap out of how to polish it and was 100% successful and the best resource I found for this info is from Autopia.org.

For me I used a rotary and did the finishing step with a 8" 3M Blue foam pad with Megs 205.

I did a complete write up in great detail in this thread:
https://www.svtperformance.com/foru...rks-in-a-black-vehicle.1142125/#post-15637203

ks

greyhd

Established Member
I am using the Porter Cable Orbital Polisher 7424. When all of you mention "depending on the paint", do you mean the condition or color?

Merlinii

Worlds Shiniest HD F-150!
Established Member
I have
I am using the Porter Cable Orbital Polisher 7424.
When all of you mention "depending on the paint", do you mean the condition or color?

My first suggestion for the PC is a 5" Backing Plate...
The Meguiars DBP5 5" Backing plate or the Griots Garage 5" Vented Orbital Backing plate.
I feel the PC has less "power" than many DA machines. It performs and handles better with a 5" BP.
I like either of these 5" backing plates on a DA. This also means that all your pads should be 5" pads.
IMHO - A 6" backing plate and 6" pads bog down on a PC.

Second thought..."depending on the paint"
After years of doing this if there is one thing I have learned every car and every paint is different.
It could be the same year/make/model/color produced a week apart and they can be very different.
Someone asked me once what is you favorite pad/polish?
I said...The one that works on the car I'm working on.

That being said...If you are wanting to remove light swirls...for your PC setup I would suggest...
Megs 5" microfiber cutting pads Part # DMC5 and Meguiar's D300. Medium cut. It's a nice combo.
This combo was "designed" by Meguiar's to work together. The most $$$ they ever spent on R&D.
This a go-to pad/polish for me with different machines from a PC DA to the Rupes 21 and 15 DA's

There are many types of wool, foam and microfiber pads. They go from aggressive to final polish.

PADS:

- Foam -
I like the Meguiars DA ultra-thin foam Foam pads
Meguiars 5 Inch DA Foam Cutting Disc - DFC5
Meguiars 5 Inch DA Foam Polishing Disc - DFP5
Meguiars 5 Inch DA Foam Finishing Disc - DFF5

I like the Lake Country 5 1/2 inch Flat Foam Pads

- Microfiber -
Megs 5" microfiber cutting pads Part # DMC5

Again, these suggestions are for use with a PC

Compounds and Polishes...
Compounds are for "leveling" the paint surface to remove, swirls and fine scratches etc.
Polishes and the second step to enhance the gloss and create a brilliant clear shine

COMPOUNDS:
IMHO M105 is very aggressive and behaves best with a rotary polisher.
* A rotary takes skill to use. It can be dangerous in the wrong hands and takes years to learn.
I would suggest Meguiar's D30016 DA Compound easy to use and it removes easily.

POLISHES:
CarPro Essence Xtreme Gloss Enhancer or Meguiars M205

BTW - I have had great results using Lake Country Thin Foamed Wool Pads and M205 on a PC.

Short Version:
1) Meguiars DBP5 5" Backing plate
Compound -
1) Megs 5" microfiber cutting pads Part DMC5
1) Meguiar's D30016 DA Compound
Polishing -
1) CarPro Gloss Pad 5"
1) CarPro Essence: EXTREME Gloss Primer

Additional -
1) CarPro Eraser for cleaning panels between polishing

My Favorite!
Microfiber Towels - Yes, quality microfiber towels are VERY important!
My fave to cleaning off compounds/polishes and removing waxes, sealants and coatings.
CarPro 2 Face (No Lint) 16" x 16"

The Megs mf discs/compound has been out 6 years.
This is a tried a true combo this is still a strong go-to today.

crazycarlo

Established Member
My advice would be to search the Internet and YouTube. There are tons of reviews out there. I use a Griots Garage polisher and for product I use Meguiars line. But I'm also going to try HD Brand products and maybe some Menzerna. Just look for independent reviews.

Merlinii

Established Member
^ Agreed. Someone asked me what are my favorite pads and polishes. I said “What works on the paint I’m working on.”
Recently CarPro came out with ClearCut compound. I like it.

terminatethis

Established Member
I currently have a bunch of products I’m looking to sell. All brand new. Included is jescar powerlock, menzerna super finish 3500, menzerna heavy cut compound 400, carpro essence and essence plus and also carpro reload.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

hoamskilet

Established Member
I usually keep it simple with flat pads from Lake Country or Buff n Shine. Although I do have some microfiber bads from Rupes that I really really like.

As for compounds and polishes, I'm pretty much stuck on the products from HD CarCare. They are just so easy to use and work well

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Those Flex look great. I'd be willing to bet the market will be flooded with cordless options very shortly.

Merlinii

Established Member
Those Flex look great. I'd be willing to bet the market will be flooded with cordless options very shortly.

It depends. Flex is the first to come to market with one the has enough "power".
That's been the delay. Cordless run on DC. There's not the same "power" on DC.
I'd like to think that Rupes will be right behind Flex in making "cordless" machines.

Users who are viewing this thread