Orbital Polisher Recommended Pads, Compounds, & Polishes?

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
It depends. Flex is the first to come to market with one the has enough "power".
That's been the delay. Cordless run on DC. There's not the same "power" on DC.
I'd like to think that Rupes will be right behind Flex in making "cordless" machines.

What about companies like DeWalt or Milwaukee. I figured they would already have their hands in this.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
I order from Chemical Guys. they have the best products I've ever used. been using them for years.

CV355

_
Established Member
I have a Flex 3401. It is awesome. Only downsides are that the cast aluminum gear housing gets hot, and it's a noisy little unit. Sounds like an angle grinder.

I'm between polishes right now- probably going with M205. I have Chemical Guys V-series polishes, but geez they throw a lot of debris. Looked like the sandman **** all over my hood even when I barely used 4 pea-sized dots.

manny231988

Established Member
^^^^It's a good machine. I beta tested it for him prior to it being released. Works well.
Hey Nasty any recommendations for my first correction on my race red with matte stripes I bought the Adam’s kit so I’m gonna use his products. Do you tape around the stripes ?

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Hey Nasty any recommendations for my first correction on my race red with matte stripes I bought the Adam’s kit so I’m gonna use his products. Do you tape around the stripes ?
I defer to Scott for the expert assessment but, in my experience, it's neither possible nor necessary to tape the stripes. It's not possible because I couldn't get the tape to stick to the stripes. It's not necessary if you dress them well with VRT and are careful to avoid them with the polisher.

If you do decide to (try) tape, avoid any with chemical edge additives (e.g., 3m Edge-Lock, FrogTape, etc). See http://www.adamsforums.com/topic/20630-faq-what-kind-of-tape-should-i-use-to-mask-off-trim/ for details and pictures of why.

blue 07

Established Member
I defer to Scott for the expert assessment but, in my experience, it's neither possible nor necessary to tape the stripes. It's not possible because I couldn't get the tape to stick to the stripes. It's not necessary if you dress them well with VRT and are careful to avoid them with the polisher.

If you do decide to (try) tape, avoid any with chemical edge additives (e.g., 3m Edge-Lock, FrogTape, etc). See http://www.adamsforums.com/topic/20630-faq-what-kind-of-tape-should-i-use-to-mask-off-trim/ for details and pictures of why.
If you want to tape off the stripes, I use K-UTG Gold tape, its a high end detailing tape that sticks to everything including plastic trim as well, and leaves no chemical edging if hit by machine or when taking compounds off with a microfiber towel.
All though not as good but will also work, Rust-oleum makes a gold professional grade automotive tape as well at most box or wal m stores in the automotive dept. In the middle of wet sanding and polishing my Shelby now so taping off areas is a must !

Attachments

• IMG_4393.JPG
    IMG_4393.JPG
    290.4 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_4410.JPG
    IMG_4410.JPG
    170.2 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_4426.JPG
    IMG_4426.JPG
    225.7 KB · Views: 107

Imatk

Established Member
I would definitely tape the edges of any kind of decal, stripes, etc.

If you hit the edge of one it has a very good chance of lifting and damaging it. The stripe itself can be polished if it's not matte, but I wouldn't recommend it unless it's absolutely necessary.

NastyGT500

Naples Premier Detailer!
Established Member
I usually don't tape off the stripes. I'm just careful around them and yes, you can 'dress' them as Norton stated.

It can take some practice to watch your edges though. If in doubt tape them off!

Manny, you will be good to go with his setup/products, Just do your research, take your time and you will have a finish you can be proud of.

Let us know how you make out!

greyhd

Established Member
Thank you everyone. I have used Adams before in the past and familiar with their products(I am sure they have changed). My paint isn't too bad, just spider web scratches in my DD(Grey color) and my HD has some scratches on the bed cover and are bad in some places(not into the paint). I will check out Adams and Chemical guys along with you tube videos.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
I am a Meguire's fan. I think all the time growing up using it at the body shop hooked me.

One of my favorite compounds is Meguire's Ultimate Compound. I normally follow up with a very fine polish using an orbital buffer. Then I grab my lights and check for any swirls that may need to be removed by hand. The final step is carnuba was.

I am eager to try out F11 top coat. That stuff is ridiculously priced though.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread