Ordering a Glenn's Cell for the 95R

SLOWBRA

Established Member
After a few weeks of debating I'm going to move forward and order a Glenn's tank for my 95R. My cell and bladder are on great shape, but it's extremely hard to find ethanol free 93+ gas in my area as well as the race track where I occasionally do an HPDE. I guess another plus is I can store my original tank and bladder before anything happens to them :)

I've read through the great posts on here talking about Glenn's and know I'm in good shape.

A couple of questions for those of you who have this:

1. How long does it typically take for delivery?
2. Did you opt to powder coat it or paint it?
3. Will I need to purchase other items other than the tank or will my oem fuel assembly bolt right in? I have the original oem assembly in a box and a replacement oem in the tank now that I plan to use.
4. Do I need to remove anything else from the oem tank/cell for the Glenn's unit?
5. What is the best method to clean/store my oem cell and bladder?
6. Anything else I need to know :)

Hoping to get the tank ordered, painted/coated and installed this month!

Shawn

Last edited:

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
I did powder coat.

I have no recollection of the lead time.

You have to remove the pump, gauge sender, and filler neck, and their inner attachment rings (these are inside the bladder, and create the "sandwich" that creates the seal). I was able to reuse the gaskets, and if I recall also used a fuel stable sealer, on the rings (likely overkill)

When you get to the last piece, in my case the pump, as it was the largest hole, a piece of threaded rod, or a cut off bolt is needed to hold the inner ring in place, while you start the 1st bolt. If you don't understand what I'm explaining, you will when you get it apart.

I stored mine in the box the new tank came in.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Keep us updated on the progress. I'm really close to pulling the trigger on this also. I will keep it and install at a later time, but want to get it while he is making them.

Tom

SLOWBRA

Established Member
I did powder coat.

I have no recollection of the lead time.

You have to remove the pump, gauge sender, and filler neck, and their inner attachment rings (these are inside the bladder, and create the "sandwich" that creates the seal). I was able to reuse the gaskets, and if I recall also used a fuel stable sealer, on the rings (likely overkill)

When you get to the last piece, in my case the pump, as it was the largest hole, a piece of threaded rod, or a cut off bolt is needed to hold the inner ring in place, while you start the 1st bolt. If you don't understand what I'm explaining, you will when you get it apart.

I stored mine in the box the new tank came in.

Thanks for the feedback and information.

Did you do anything specific to store the bladder?

Keep us updated on the progress. I'm really close to pulling the trigger on this also. I will keep it and install at a later time, but want to get it while he is making them.

Tom

I ordered mine yesterday. Will keep everyone updated.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
I left it out for quite a while, like at least a week to be be sure it was dry. I didn't do anything as mine is junk. The bladders are dated, and are only supposed to be good for about 10 years, in use or not. I would not get too worked up over how you store it.

Did you do anything specific to store the bladder?

SLOWBRA

Established Member
Now if they would only make a tank for the 00R...

I'm sure you know there is a separate thread on that :). Glenn is trying hard to make that happen. I told him to help if he can since I'll likely have a 00R someday myself. Just give him a call to provide your support.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
Using the 95 as a reference, as to how long it took to spring a leak, my guess, is I have 3 more years before I'll need it for the 2000. Hopefully Glenn's has it done by then. The day they have it done, I'll buy it and have it on the shelf ready to go. As with ALL fuel cells, never a question of IF, it's a question of when will it start to leak.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
I would remove the bladder as soon as you get the cell out of the car. The bladder gets harder and more brittle as time goes by. They are a bitch to get out when new. As they get older, it is harder and harder to remove.

Tom

SLOWBRA

Established Member
I left it out for quite a while, like at least a week to be be sure it was dry. I didn't do anything as mine is junk. The bladders are dated, and are only supposed to be good for about 10 years, in use or not. I would not get too worked up over how you store it.

Are you saying that once I remove the bladder it's unlikely that I'll ever be able to reuse it again? I may just keep running it until there is a problem if there's no value in keeping it.

I would remove the bladder as soon as you get the cell out of the car. The bladder gets harder and more brittle as time goes by. They are a bitch to get out when new. As they get older, it is harder and harder to remove.

Tom

Same question for you that I posted above. Is there any value in me keeping the bladder?

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
The bladder is debatable. I would for sure keep the steel shell as another bladder could be installed.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
I've been through two of them. They are super pliable when new and nearly impossible to bend when old and failed. From what you described, you are going to pull it and store it for future use. It will keep deteriorating on the shelf so you might as well remove it from the can when it is more pliable. When you remove the cell, remove the bladder.

Tom

Mwynn

Established Member
Called Glenn's fuel cell inquiring about a possible direct replacement cell for the 00r ..... not going to happen! He explained the top of the tank consistent of many complex bends that would be a pain to fabricate. Basically not worth it. But the do offer a terminator style tank with a twin pump set up that would work with some fuel line adaptors.

For the time being, I think I will find me a 00 gt tank and swap it out for the fuel cell.

How hard is it to just to replace the old bladder in the fuel cell? Does anyone make a bladder for this cell?

nmp1

Established Member
thats a big price jump from last year. maybe they are anticipating the 00R's needing bladders soon.

Mwynn

Established Member
Wow... thats alot for a replacement fuel cell. Wonder what the life expectancy is...10-15 years?

Established Member
I sent my cell to them for the change last time. Didn't figure it was worth the risk of me hurting it. They were quick with it, and it seems like someone with the board had a discount . Been a while tho.

Users who are viewing this thread