outlaws vs gt500 axle backs

Riptide

Established Member
Hard to find first hand comparisons on this and I've done some googling.

Anyone who has had both care to comment? Preferably with stock headers and offroad H + resonators. Thinking about giving the outlaws a try. Have the GT500 single tips right now.

From what I have read:
1) Outlaws have a bit of drone around 2K rpm.
2) Outlaws are less raspy than the roush.
3) Outlaws will have pop/crack on decel. GT500 not so much.

Jumpmaster2015

Established Member
FWIW I think there is more involved with popping and cracking on decel than just exhaust components. I had my popping/cracking on decel disappear from adding cams and having AED perform a remote dyno tune. I don't know what happened, but I hated how annoying it was and then poof it was gone.

I have heard the outlaws, and they experience drone early like you mentioned. They are obnoxious on a Rousch level.

RUgoinup?

We will NEVER forget!
Established Member
A rich tune will contribute greatly to deceleration popping. The outlaws had a strange sound to them that I could never quite put my finger on. Got rid of them quickly.

Riptide

Established Member
Much like with the roush it seems like the outlaws are a love it or hate it thing with not a lot in between. Done a ton of googling and youtube watching.

From the videos I've seen they seem good to me. Loud isn't a problem nor is some drone if it isn't off the hook ridiculous. I have an offroad H with aftermarket resonators in before the axles. Not a common combination with these mufflers. How big of a difference would it make who can say.

Tough decision.

Riptide

Established Member
OK so I should've listened but I had to learn the hard way. I have a set of borla S on the way and I expect that while it won't be as loud I will be happier with them. I thought about the atak but people mentioned rasp so I turned away from those.

The outlaws are loud, have a sweet sounding idle and part throttle. The drone turned out to be an issue mainly for my wife so that alone means they are out of the picture. The problem for me was the blatty raspy sound when you step on it. The H and resonators did not do enough to help. The finish on the tips was good, the finish on the muffler body was not.

So back they go to Amazon prime and I have the borla arriving on Thursday. They are so damn expensive that I'm going to clean up my GT500 and my stock mufflers then put them up for sale.

nyuk98GT

Established Member
Tidbit of what I hope is helpful information.....

Coasting fuel shut-off, CFSO, helps with engine braking and was available in my old ('98 GT) tune so it must be available for the new cars, lol. Shut off fuel when the throttle is closed and the popping disappears.

**edit:
Riptide,

You will really like the Borla S-types, trust me. They are pretty loud when you get on the throttle yet not obnoxious as you toodle around the neighborhood on the way to work in the morning. I had them but I should have got the Touring version. In fact, I got the FR GT500 Touring mufflers (not the standard GT500's) and I think that they are just perfect.

**end of edit.

HTH,

Chris

Last edited:

Riptide

Established Member
Long story short the outlaws went back. Wife couldn't stand the drone. I liked the volume, idle, and part throttle sound. Heavy throttle just was blatty and raspy to me.

Got borla s and those are going back too. Sound great to me except at heavy part throttle. Rasp.

Done with this. The GT500 are going back on the car for good.

RUgoinup?

We will NEVER forget!
Established Member
Bummer. I had GT500's & Outlaws. I now have a MF Street Series 3" Catback on my Boss with no baffles on side exits. Sounds amazing! No rasp or drone and looks amazing.

Ray Godman

Just to add for anyone looking at the outlaws. I had a 91 Fox with a B cam, off road catless H, shorty headers, and 2 chamber flowmasters. Outlaw drone (2013 GT, stock otherwise) is as bad or worse than that was. Fair to say at first it was nearly unbearable, but it does settle over 1000+ miles to very liveable.

They are a bit hard to describe but they almost sound like a brass horn or trumpet WOT in the higher rpm range. They have a great idle but a weird bubbly sound is there too. Overall I am pleased as the car is otherwise stock. If I changed anything (resonator delete, no cats, headers) I'm thinking I would swap to Kooks or GT500. I have little doubt for me outlaws would be way too much if I had anything but a stock car.

cammed 2v gt

Established Member
My car is 100% stock besides flowmaster outlaws they drone too much for me on the freeway so I'm gonna ditch them in the future for some quad tip gt500's

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

D1984

Whining
Established Member
my outlaws were awesome, but even with the stock cats/hpipe/resonators the drone was killing me on long trips. i traded them for a set of ford racing sports and couldn't be happier. no drone at all, very quiet inside the cabin except on heavy acceleration, nice deep tone. they sound a lot louder from outside the car than inside

and the mufflers/tips themselves look great, unlike the GT500s

Recon

Established Member
Drone is a common problem on Flowmaster mufflers, if that bothers you don't get them. I should know they're on 4 of my vehicles, and I sell/install them on a weekly and sometimes daily basis.
Do what makes you happy and if your choice doesn't meet your standards, find something else.

Riptide

Established Member
My GT500 single tips ended up back on the car. Even the Borla S had too much rasp for me. When into the throttle sounds like glass packs.

From what I have read - aftermarket headers help the situation. The OEM headers seem to promote rasp.

Users who are viewing this thread