Paint a kenne bell case?

04machwon7623

Established Member
Anybody ever paint the billet case? Looking at steps to do it or if its even a good idea. Would need some hight temp paint and etching primer. My case is anodized so that would need to be stripped. Just dont like the faded look of an older anodized kb. Thoughts or input appreciated

CV355

_
Established Member
I painted the aluminum lower intake before on a KB- turned out great. I used silver engine enamel and then followed up with several coats of clearcoat engine enamel. Held up wonderfully.

The next owner of my old 2.1 KB had the housing stripped and powdercoated red. As Trump would say, SAD!

We left the case alone, but I will give you a word of caution. If you disassemble the blower unit, make sure you use the correct torque spec during reassembly. Sounds obvious, but incorrect torque will bind up the assembly quite badly.

If it was me, I would completely disassemble the blower, mask off areas to leave bare, and send it to a trusted coating supplier for re-anodizing. Paint would work just fine too, if you're looking for a fun weekend project. You wouldn't even really need to disassemble the unit for this - just be careful with masking. The snout could stay on the blower.

Kenne Bell would probably advise against painting the housing, but from an engineering perspective it won't affect anything. Heat dissipation would be so minimally affected it wouldn't even matter. KB just wants to protect their interests in case someone goofs up and tries to blame them for a faulty blower (can't really blame them there).

04machwon7623

Established Member
I painted the aluminum lower intake before on a KB- turned out great. I used silver engine enamel and then followed up with several coats of clearcoat engine enamel. Held up wonderfully.

The next owner of my old 2.1 KB had the housing stripped and powdercoated red. As Trump would say, SAD!

We left the case alone, but I will give you a word of caution. If you disassemble the blower unit, make sure you use the correct torque spec during reassembly. Sounds obvious, but incorrect torque will bind up the assembly quite badly.

If it was me, I would completely disassemble the blower, mask off areas to leave bare, and send it to a trusted coating supplier for re-anodizing. Paint would work just fine too, if you're looking for a fun weekend project. You wouldn't even really need to disassemble the unit for this - just be careful with masking. The snout could stay on the blower.

Kenne Bell would probably advise against painting the housing, but from an engineering perspective it won't affect anything. Heat dissipation would be so minimally affected it wouldn't even matter. KB just wants to protect their interests in case someone goofs up and tries to blame them for a faulty blower (can't really blame them there).
Definitely looking to paint it but just not sure what primer to use on the aluminum with the high temperature of the case.

Users who are viewing this thread