Parts Installed - IRS brace, fuel system, polished exhaust

sonicmach1

Established Member
I had a week of bachelor-hood recently. I got to spend the nights playing in the garage. :thumbsup:

Here are a few pics of the project. I will try to write up some info and tips in the How-To section shortly. In the meantime, if you have any questions, please let me know. Next up is the KB 2.2...

Thanks.

IRS BRACE
Billetflow_IRS_Brace_Install3_11072009_smaller.jpg

Billetflow_IRS_Brace_Install17_11072009_smaller.jpg

POLISHED EXHAUST
Cobra_Polished_notank1.jpg

IMG_4528.jpg

BEFORE AND AFTER
Exhaust_polish_old and new.jpg

PRE-POLISH
Unpolished_Exhaust2_11052009_smaller.jpg

UPGRADED WIRING, DUAL FPDMs, FORE HAT, GT PUMPS - knocked about 25% off of the peak fuel pump duty cycle
Fuel Hat Completed1_11112009_smaller.jpg

Fuel Tank Hose Done3_11122009_smaller.jpg

Last edited:

KILRSVT

Established Member
Dang that is some neat work. Did you fabricate that
brace yourself? That is one of the cleanist underbody
I have seen yet.keep up the goodwork

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
Looks great. been considering polishing my exhaust. was thinking about trying to do it with it on the car, not sure how well that would work.

how'd the irs brace install go?

RAPTOR5V

Firing on all 8
Established Member
nice clean car man good job. I would have been sleeping in my garage too :beer:

sonicmach1

Established Member
Looks great. been considering polishing my exhaust. was thinking about trying to do it with it on the car, not sure how well that would work.

Thanks. The exhaust work came out well. You can really see it walking up to the side (shines behind the wheel) and obviously from the rear. Car lights behind it at night really call it out too.

You really have to take it off the car to do it. For me that was only 2 clamps and popping it out of the hangers. It does help to have lift though. I spent about 5-6 hours doing them from 60 --> 100 grit dry then 220 --> 2000 grit wet and then polishing. Not fun, but worth it.

The billet flow brace went OK. I had to waiver from their instructions to get it to work for me. My carrier wouldn't move much. I'll post more details in the how-to area.

Last edited:

jtm

now more boost included
Established Member

take the exhaust off, should be easy, unless its welded.

sonicmach1

Established Member
For now, I used the -8an adapter to the stock fuel filter line. Even with the KB 2.2 pushing 600 RWHP, the lines and pump DC are OK. I prefer to leave as much of the OEM hardline intact - for crash worthiness, leaks, etc. I need to research all the flexible hose types first to ensure that that would not permeate fuel.

I wish someone sourced a stainless steel hardline in a bigger diameter! That would be perfect!

MBoyle1

redfire
Established Member
yea, the brace says billetflow right on it. they are a pain in the A to install with diff in the car(and like to leak after).Polishing looks great!

SRT_2_SVT

Established Member
What catback is that? Magnaflow?

Who else makes an IRS brace? I thought mine was billetflow but its black and looks to be alot thicker than that one. Mine is heavy like solid steel! lol

Powershift03

Clapped out race car
Established Member
For now, I used the -8an adapter to the stock fuel filter line. Even with the KB 2.2 pushing 600 RWHP, the lines and pump DC are OK. I prefer to leave as much of the OEM hardline intact - for crash worthiness, leaks, etc. I need to research all the flexible hose types first to ensure that that would not permeate fuel.

I wish someone sourced a stainless steel hardline in a bigger diameter! That would be perfect!

+1

I don't really dig the idea of having that flex line either. If there was a larger harline available I would have done it already. I'm running twin GT pumps, a modified FPDM, and 60lb injectors with my Whipple.. and am at 594 rwhp on Calif's crapy 91 octane pump gas. I'd just like to get the DC a bit lower.

Last edited:

sonicmach1

Established Member
What catback is that? Magnaflow?

Who else makes an IRS brace? I thought mine was billetflow but its black and looks to be alot thicker than that one. Mine is heavy like solid steel! lol

The catback is Boral/Steeda.

Here is a little better view of it. (pre-polished)
Unpolished_Exhaust4_11052009_2.jpg

If I get really bored this winter, I may work on polishing the mid-pipe too. :-D

sonicmach1

Established Member
You get the kudos for your excellent write-up! I wouldn't have thought to do it. :thumbsup:

Mine came out about 90% as shiny as yours. I probably could have swirled it some more with the mid grades, but it did the job. Maybe next year I will retouch it!

BTW, what catback do you have - with the rolled tips?

Last edited:

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
You get the kudos for your excellent write-up! I wouldn't have thought to do it. :thumbsup:

Mine came out about 90% as shiny as yours. I probably could have swirled it some more with the mid grades, but it did the job. Maybe next year I will retouch it!

BTW, what catback do you have - with the rolled tips?
I have a Borla 14858 Cat-Back. It came with the rolled tips. It's the same mufflers as the Steeda, but different tips.

I'm glad my write-up helped you. :beer:

sonicmach1

Established Member
I wish I saw that prior to my polishing work on this thin walled tip exhaust. There was probably no way to just buy the muffler back section anyway...If there were I would have to polish again! I really don;t want to buy a clamp-on tip either.

I bought some MRT rolled chrome tips, but they are too long to work. Something like this is desired, but these are pretty short and do not have a hanger: Boral Tip

Thanks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread