Passing star smog or parting out.

bzoli

Established Member
I have two options and looking for some advice/knowledge.

I have a 99 cobra, bought in Indiana, has intake and shorty header, and now i need to take it to a star certified smog test. After the smog test I need to sell the car.I can hope for around 4.5k. I was trying to sell it for more for month but could not.

Option #1 I have to change the shorty header to a stock (I have one) and source a stock intake. If passing I can sell the car.

Option #2 is to part out the car. Could someone give me a clue how much money I can get from parting out a fully working 99 cobra?

Thanks
Zoltan

Last edited:

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Headers are a PITA, but it might be less of a pain than parting out the car.

wckdvnm

Established Member
I was originally going to say you were okay but it's a 99 if it had been post 99 you would have been all good. Best idea is try to find a shop that's a little more laxed, I used to know a shop up by me in the IE but I think they may have closed.

bzoli

Established Member
frankly ... if I have a chance to get around 4k for parting it out I would go down that route.
Otherwise I have to change the shorty header, hoping to pass emission, than sell the car.
Work no matter which way ... but if I part it out I dont have to spend a dime on it anymore.

NastyNate420

Established Member
there was a thread a few months ago with some "friendly" smog guys in cali that were willing to help out. Id search for that thread!

bzoli

Established Member
if anyone has experience parting out a car, please me know.
Is there a demand for stock parts? Can I reasonably get around 4k selling all parts? if yes than i get it started ...

DropSVT

Established Member
Ive gone through 3 smogs with short tube headers. Say theyre stock it should fly if they even look which most dont. I wouldnt worry. As long as there is cats and no longtubes your fine.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

bzoli

Established Member
I guess I will give it a try ... I looked up, the JLT intake has as carb eo number per arb web page, and the shorty header will be called stock.... see if that flies.

wckdvnm

Established Member
I guess I will give it a try ... I looked up, the JLT intake has as carb eo number per arb web page, and the shorty header will be called stock.... see if that flies.

More than likely they are JBA's and those are Cali legal and should have a carb number somewhere

rz5.0

Established Member
I'd buy it for 4k as is but I'm in Texas.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

rz5.0

Established Member
Can't with my work schedule and work place.. But it's very tempting..

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

bzoli

Established Member
Checking back with an update:
- I contacted w/ JLT - I sent them a photo of my intake, to verify that it was their latest one which is CARB legal. They sent me a sticker.
- I went to smog it, it passed w/ flying colors. No mention of the shorty headers :eek:)
So the car is up for sale - can be found in san diego craiglist.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread