Pats 1998 cobra

Bright Blue Cob

Established Member
Well if finally happened, the theft light was flashing and the car wouldn't start. I waited a few minutes and it started ok, I don't want to get stranded one day so how can I turn this feature off?

ZD302GT

Zach
Established Member
If it started and ran its most likely not PATS. I had the same problem. It ended up being the aftermarket chip that was on the computer was bad. If you have one of those you might pull it off and see what happens.

Bright Blue Cob

Established Member
Does anyone know how to turn off the PITA PATS in a 1998 Cobra

I want to disable the PATS system in my 1998 Cobra.

Max97COBRAtkd

Established Member
Sounds like the same problem I had in mine... ended up being the pcm... Check your PCM and see if it has processor code AOL2 or AOL3, if it is an AOL2 you will most likely need to replace it with an AOL3. I picked one up for about $200 used and it fixed all my problems. You just have to turn off PATS in the tune after you do this because if it wasn't keeping the car from starting before, it will after switching pcm's because your PATS module won't recognize the new pcm.

BTW, if your PATS system is activated, you will NOT hear your fuel pump prime when you turn the key on. Ask me how I know, lol.

workmangc

Stay away from SHM.
Established Member
The PATS can be turned of with a handheld or chip, but ONLY if custom tuned. The pre-installed tunes do not disable this feature, nor allow you to disable it.

Bright Blue Cob

Established Member
Sounds like the same problem I had in mine... ended up being the pcm... Check your PCM and see if it has processor code AOL2 or AOL3, if it is an AOL2 you will most likely need to replace it with an AOL3. I picked one up for about $200 used and it fixed all my problems. You just have to turn off PATS in the tune after you do this because if it wasn't keeping the car from starting before, it will after switching pcm's because your PATS module won't recognize the new pcm.

BTW, if your PATS system is activated, you will NOT hear your fuel pump prime when you turn the key on. Ask me how I know, lol.

So you installed the new PCM and had the car towed to the dealer for programming?

apaulk86

Established Member

Hey guys, don't mean to hi-jack the thread, but I'm have a little PCM problem myself. I'm pretty sure my PCM is fried (long story). I have found a donor PCM for my GT, same year, same tranny. If I just plug the new PCM into my car will it run? ALSO, I have a custom tune from Justin at VMP and he also included disabling the PATS system in the tune. If the car wouldn't run by just swapping over the computer, would I be able to flash the custom tune to the donor PCM and have it all work fine? This sounds ridiculously complicated, and it's frying my brain too.

Any help or advice offered would be much appreciated.:bowdown:

Max97COBRAtkd

Established Member
So you installed the new PCM and had the car towed to the dealer for programming?

sorry for not getting back to you but here's the answer for what it's worth... NO, i did not have to take it to the dealer because I turned off the PATS system via my xcal3. Returned bad PCM to stock, plugged in new AOL3 PCM, flashed it with my tune, started car, runs perfect.

Hey guys, don't mean to hi-jack the thread, but I'm have a little PCM problem myself. I'm pretty sure my PCM is fried (long story). I have found a donor PCM for my GT, same year, same tranny. If I just plug the new PCM into my car will it run? ALSO, I have a custom tune from Justin at VMP and he also included disabling the PATS system in the tune. If the car wouldn't run by just swapping over the computer, would I be able to flash the custom tune to the donor PCM and have it all work fine? This sounds ridiculously complicated, and it's frying my brain too.

Any help or advice offered would be much appreciated.:bowdown:

First, you hopefully verified with the person you got it from that the "new" one is not fried as well. You will need to plug in the "new" PCM, flash it with your tune that has PATS turned off in it, then you will be all good. Calm down, have a beer, and enjoy your car again, lol. :beer:

Oh, and take that pesky bulb out of the dash for the "THEFT" light. It will get really annoying really quick if you leave it in as it will blink for a while after each start once PATS is turned off.

apaulk86

Established Member
sorry for not getting back to you but here's the answer for what it's worth... NO, i did not have to take it to the dealer because I turned off the PATS system via my xcal3. Returned bad PCM to stock, plugged in new AOL3 PCM, flashed it with my tune, started car, runs perfect.

First, you hopefully verified with the person you got it from that the "new" one is not fried as well. You will need to plug in the "new" PCM, flash it with your tune that has PATS turned off in it, then you will be all good. Calm down, have a beer, and enjoy your car again, lol. :beer:

Oh, and take that pesky bulb out of the dash for the "THEFT" light. It will get really annoying really quick if you leave it in as it will blink for a while after each start once PATS is turned off.

You guys are the best. I knew I did something right by swapping in a 4v lol. I actually can't wait to crack open a beer once I get off work!

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member

Or leave the bulb in and rewire it to be a shift light. :burnout:

Users who are viewing this thread