Pats anti-theft system fault. Car won't start

50stangpower

Established Member
Very frusterated. Just pulled the car out of storage and put the battery back in. She started up fine but I later disconnected the battery again to do some work. When I connected it back up the fuel pump kicks on but it won't crank. The anti-theft system is flashing radpidly. I've tried my spare key and still nothing. Anyway to fix this without a dealer?

Teddy O

Established Member
I thought the anti-theft disabled the fuel pump? I could be wrong here. I would:

Be certain the battery is good.

Check all the fuses.

Lock and unlock the car w/ the key.

Disconnect/reconnect the battery again.

50stangpower

Established Member
I thought the anti-theft disabled the fuel pump? I could be wrong here. I would:

Be certain the battery is good. 12.52 no dead cells either

Check all the fuses. Will recheck

Lock and unlock the car w/ the key. Did that

Disconnect/reconnect the battery again.
did that twice. Its been disconnected for 14 hours now.

I am pretty sure its the PATS system. I was hoping there is a way to bypass it or reset it WITHOUT the dealer.

Teddy O

Established Member
I searched quite a bit on various Ford forums last night for an answer, but just came up with a buncha crap like "try whacking the steering column".

I also read through the anti-theft section of the owners manual, but it just concludes a no-start condition with "see your authorized Ford dealer". Not helpful.

Sorry man. Hopefully someone here will have the answer...

50stangpower

Established Member
I searched quite a bit on various Ford forums last night for an answer, but just came up with a buncha crap like "try whacking the steering column".

I also read through the anti-theft section of the owners manual, but it just concludes a no-start condition with "see your authorized Ford dealer". Not helpful.

Sorry man. Hopefully someone here will have the answer...

no problem. I called the dealer and they said " sometimes a power surge will make this happen when you hook up a battery. Tow it in and bring $175.00"

This is also not covered on the extended warranty's either.

50stangpower

Established Member
Uodare***
Had. Locksmith to reprogram the keys. The obdll port has power but it says there is 0 volts active. My sct powers up as well but will not display Amy gauges or let me get into trying to return it to stock. I also got the pats code as 1-6.

Craziest thing is somehow one time it started when the locksmith was out. No idea how, why and can't get it to happen again. I can't find a single blown fuse and the pcm relay is working. Any other ideas?

50stangpower

Established Member
Figured it out. I had my seats out of the car and was messing with the pins. Apparently 2 pins were touching and making a fault. Live and learn.

Teddy O

Established Member
My next vote was going to be for whatever module reads the key.

Good job sticking with it, and not giving up and bringing it to the dealer.

Users who are viewing this thread