PATS Issue - Car Won't Stay Cranked

98SVTContour98

Established Member
So I changed my spark plugs last night and the car drove great.

Disconnected the battery to clear the current CEL codes before I did anymore work on it.

Now, i turn the key to the on position, fuel pump primes, car cranks until that primed fuel runs out then the car dies.

No Anti-Theft Light signaling like there's a problem, and no codes are registering.

Is this a PATS issue or something else?

jgt58

Established Member
Same thing as inertia switch. It's in the trunk under the back trim next to the driver's side taillight. If that's ok do as 98svt said. Check pressure with the Schrader valve on the fuel rail

Sent from my LG-H900 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
PATS doesnt allow the fuel pump to run at all. If its priming every time then stopping I dont think thats the issue. Same with the inertia switch, Ive never had a car that would start and then die. It kills the pumps completely

98SVTContour98

Established Member
is it possible, through a tuner, to bypass PATS? someone on facebook said even if theft light isn't flashing it could still be PATS and he tuned it out of his car....not sure what car he has tho

jgt58

Established Member
PATS doesnt allow the fuel pump to run at all. If its priming every time then stopping I dont think thats the issue. Same with the inertia switch, Ive never had a car that would start and then die. It kills the pumps completely
From what he said it sounds like it could be a bunch of things. Now the things that come to mind is misrouted plug wires or fuel pressure regulator , junk on the maf , iac dirty. Could be a bunch of things. First I would check to see if your wires are routed correctly. Did you check the gap on all the plugs?

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Is the theft light flashing a code? I don't see it flashing at all. If it were PATS it would Bink a certain code via the theft light.

Did you mess with the PCM or battery when working on the car? I had a 97 GT about 15 years ago. Put a Superchip in the PCM and it fried the PCM. Had to take it to Ford for them to diagnose. But anyway, the car was acting the same way. It would run for 2-5 seconds then cut out.

Last edited:

98SVTContour98

Established Member
Put in new spark plugs and the car ran the best it has all year...unplugged the positive cable to the battery...reconnected it and the issue started and hasn't stopped.

Checked gap, wires, connections, etc.

Gonna head back over to the car tomorrow w a buddy who works for Ford and has some diagnostic tool from the dealership that could help us diagnose it.

Keep the suggestions coming bc I'm compiling a list of things to check tomorrow.

Thanks everyone.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Not sure how you check it, but def have him check the PCM if he can.
It's probably an AOL3.

As I said, all the PATS issues I have seen will throw a code via the theft light flashing in a certain sequence.

jgt58

Established Member
is it possible, through a tuner, to bypass PATS? someone on facebook said even if theft light isn't flashing it could still be PATS and he tuned it out of his car....not sure what car he has tho
Ok I have a therory. You may be right and wrong at the same time. Let's diagnose easy stuff first. You may have a blown fuse for the pats system. If I can remember I think the pats fuse is in the fuse box under the hood. I think it's a 10amp yellow fuse. Maybe third one down from the top. But if it isn't I would check all your fuses.

The reason I say it might be a fuse is you were hooking up your battery right then it started all this mess? When you hook up a battery it sends voltage through the system. Let's face it our cars aren't spring chickens anymore and fuses get old. I would check all your fuses and see if you have a blown fuse to the pats system before you go any further

Users who are viewing this thread