Paul's 2011 Coyote Build Thread

Paul.

Established Member
The blower install has begun, but it's not complete. I bought some billet oil pump gears and timing chain sprocket to install while the blower was going on. This necessitates the removal of the timing cover, valve covers, entire front dress, and the oil pump of course. It's a bit... involved. My buddy Joe and I worked on it Friday afternoon and most of the day on Saturday. I think we still have another 8-10 hours to go at this point. Were it not for having to remove the timing cover, everything is pretty straightforward thus far.

Just starting...
Just%20Starting_zps2hkx2ghc.jpg

Trunk full of parts and a blower.
Parts%20in%20Trunk_zps183ffyud.jpg

Pull the front cover off.
Nose%20Clip%20Off_zpsstvdt5gj.jpg

The the intake, which is pretty straightforward.
Intake%20Removed_zpsafisikmd.jpg

Intake%20Removed%202_zpsv0bvom5y.jpg

At this point, I snapped a picture of the bench for posterity.
Blower%20on%20Bench_zpswywfbtn0.jpg

Then comes the water pump, thermostat housing, and a bunch of hoses. This is WAY more complicated than a fox.
Water%20Pump%20Removed_zpsfsbekehp.jpg

Then it starts to get scary. You have to pull the battery tray out just to try to get the passenger side valve cover off. There is a lot of shit under there. The timing cover has also been removed.
Valve%20and%20Timing%20Covers%20Removed_zpscxzs0bgz.jpg

Oil pump was removed to facilitate replacement of the factory powdered metal oil pump gears with billet steel ones from MMR. The bolts for the pickup tube are a mother****er.
Oil%20Pump%20Removed_zpsvtf8sulp.jpg

Oil%20Pump%20Removed%202_zpsja5mbiem.jpg

Early GTs had some ribbing and casting bosses on the timing cover that must be removed in order for the blower tensioner bracket to fit. I spent some quality time in Joe's backyard with a grinder.
Timing%20Cover%20Ground%20Down_zpsssyv0hqq.jpg

Then cleaned everything up and replaced all the gaskets and seals. (just in case)
Timing%20Cover%20Cleaned%20Up_zpsdge41x50.jpg

Reassembly then began. This is where we stopped Saturday evening. It'll be a few more days before everything is back together since we're only gonna work on it a few hours a night.
Reassembly%20Begins_zps5qqwhco2.jpg

Paul.

top_notch

Established Member
Car looks sick. Love the F14s. Keep up the great work. It may be a pain to replace the opgs but at you'll know it was done right.

Paul.

Established Member
Thanks. Yeah, I knew the OPGs and crank sprocket would suck to do, but I'll feel better knowing they're in there. I don't plan to build the motor right away, so I'd like to get a little longevity out of it. That blower can make way more power than this motor can handle.

I want a really nice streetcar that is built right, and built tastefully.

Paul.

Paul.

Established Member
A few updates. Joe and I worked on the car for a few hours last night.

Lower intake installed, and fuel rails, plus some heater hoses and coolant stuff.
Lower%20Intake%20Installed_zpsl2mm3iyr.jpg

Bolted the compressor on. Fuel lines are attached. It's a very nice, complete kit with excellent fit and finish.
Compressor%20Installed_zps3m5twvk1.jpg

Started getting the belt drive and all the front dress on.
Belt%20Drive%20Installed_zps8b4z8yve.jpg

We're getting there.

Paul.

hirting

Established Member
Nice work! The OPG's are a PITA but well worth the peace of mind. You did a great job grinding the front cover. It looks like you are really close! Light at the end of the tunnel! I bet you can hardly wait to fire it up and see how it feels!

Paul.

Established Member
I am very excited to get this done and drive the car again. It's my daily driver, so it sucks to not have it right now. I'm driving my buddy's old Toyota pickup. :) Not quite as much fun.

Paul.

Paul.

Established Member
Thanks! Yes, at first I'll be using Whipple's tune. Once I recover from the ten grand this cost me, I'll start the next round of mods. That will likely include 3.31s instead of my 3.73s, a driveshaft, perhaps an off road pipe, and a tune. I'll probably go with Lund or Shaun from AED.

Paul.

Paul.

Established Member
A bit more progress last night. The belt drive is all finished up and everything is torqued down. The belt routing is quite involved and there are a LOT of idler pulleys.

Belt%20Drive%20Finished_zpsgprylvbt.gif

Paul.

Paul.

Established Member
A little more progress. Going to work on it some more this afternoon.

Intercooler is bolted into place. Still need to bolts the auxiliary fans into place. Should help keep IAT down a bit in teh summertime.
Intercooler_zps6wx2hfy6.jpg

Here's the intercooler reservoir. This kit is nice because it puts this under the bumper cover, instead of in the engine bay.
Intercooler%20Reservoir%20Tank_zps4wkjnjwz.jpg

Hoses like crazy running everywhere.
Hoses_zpssv6iykjq.jpg

Hoses%202_zpscwgifuyp.jpg

PCV stuff attached. I probably needs to get a breather setup to keep the oil out of the blower.
PCV%20Attached_zps0y2v4zy0.jpg

Paul.

Paul.

Established Member
Installation is complete! Joe and I finished up yesterday morning, although initial fire up was on Friday night.

Here's the intercooler tank, high volume pump, and optional heat exchanger dual fan setup all installed.
Intercooler%20and%20Fans%201_zpsu00xpnkv.jpg

Intercooler%20Tank%20Installed_zps0ukrrevw.jpg

Intercooler%20and%20Fans%202_zps0ewvlv3b.jpg

Here's a side-by-side of the stock throttle body vs the one the Whipple includes in their Stage 3 kit. It's massive.
Throttle%20Body%20Comparison_zpsjs3b1khx.jpg

Then goes the airbox.
Airbox%20Installed_zpsxmlbokjx.jpg

You have to butcher the back of the front bumper cover to fit over all of the intercooler stuff.
Bumper%20Cover%20Trim_zpswq3v2zol.jpg

Then all done!
Install%20Complete%201_zpsgeubw3mt.jpg

Install%20Complete%202_zps9rousyhi.jpg

Install%20Complete%203_zpsit6aghmu.jpg

Install%20Complete%204_zpsapxkaedx.jpg

Jackscrew%20Cover_zpssphm4klc.jpg

Overall, the kit is incredibly complete and very high quality. It has virtually everything you need for a very professional-looking install. There's only two adds I'd make:
- a big washer to help secure the airbox to the engine bay with the factory bolt
- a 20 amp fuse to replace the OEM 15 amp fuel pump relay fuse, which we discovered was inadequate when using a boost-a-pump. The first time I got more than about 70% throttle, it popped that 15 amp fuse and left me on the side of the road. After some quick research on the internet, I discovered that a 20 amp fuse (or more, depending on the boost-a-pump) is necessary because of the increased draw for the fuel pump. After installing the 20 amp fuse, everything works perfectly.

The car fired right up immediately with the tune provided by Whipple. Manners are perfect. It drives like stock, but with lots more power. I had a very slight surge at first at idle, but it learned its way out of that within 30 minutes and now it's perfect.

The car feels so strong. The low-end power is amazing. The car is very quiet when just burbling around. The intercooler fans actually make more noise than the blower. :p You hear a slight whistling from the blower, and of course the signature whine when you're on the throttle hard. Overall, I'm incredibly pleased with my decision to do the Whipple Stage 3. I'll post some video and such once I get to the dyno, and I'll be headed to both the 1/4 mile dragstrip and the 1/2 mile airstrip runs in the next two months. I'm excited to see what it will do.

Paul.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Awesome build Paul. Enjoy.
Great thread to read.

fishpick

Established Member
Paul - work of art... and that same kit is in boxes in my garage waiting for an early spring install (I'm in NY so the car is asleep now). Well - except for the carbon fiber - gonna have to get that CF intake tube - that looks bad @$$!

2 questions if you don't mind -

1) why did you opt for the high flow pump over the standard one?
2) would you mind doodling on that picture of the front bumper cover to show where your trimming happens - that would be helpful (mainly for me - but maybe for others)

Last edited:

csvt98

Road Course Ringer
Established Member
Awesome thread and a good read, I love the front feed Whipple. I cannot wait to see your setup in action sitting on those Welds. Those are my favorite style and I may grab some one day!

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Paul,...I'm going to guess you are going to make about 675rwhp and 590rwtq. Obviously, I hope it's higher! :coolman:
Good luck and keep us posted.

Jdm351

Established Member
You should take advantage of the import faceoff test and tune. I've been using this event for the last year or so to get unlimited runs in during the daylight hours. And when you buy online the tickets are cheaper than Friday night drags. I'm actually gonna head out on Sunday 10/30. Though it'll be 90 degrees out still.

Users who are viewing this thread