Pedal Stuck Under Carpet...PLEASE READ!!!

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
If finally happened to me last Sunday while merging on the freeway. No accident, but it was close. This is one very serious problem that is going to get someone hurt. I finally decided to do something about it and I urge EVERYONE who has ever had this happen to them to do the same. Please go to the NHTSA website and log your complaint. Please check "yes" to the disclaimer that allows them to report this to the manufacturer. Let's see if they can't get something done about this before someone is killed. IT SHOULD NOT BE OUR RESPONSIBILITY TO CUT UP OUR CARPETING TO FIX THIS!

Please go to this website and fill out the form. I urge everyone to take a few minutes and do this.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

dougwg

Established Member
great idea!

BUT in the mean time... for your safety as well as others... fix the carpet on your own car NOW.

How stupid would you feel if something bad happened and you could have prevented it

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
dougwg said:
great idea!

BUT in the mean time... for your safety as well as others... fix the carpet on your own car NOW.

How stupid would you feel if something bad happened and you could have prevented it
Ditto. File the complaint but be sure to fix your carpet so that it doesn't happen in the future with worse consequences. Be safe! ;-)

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
fix it fast, i've had it happen and it scared the shit out of me....needless to say, the carpet around my pedal is GONE!

compcobra

Established Member
I was at the track last night for the first time and my pedal stuck on me twice. I had to shut it down on the rev limiter both times. I am going to cut the carpet and use double sided carpet tape to make sure it NEVER happens again. This is total b.s. that a cobra or any car for that matter is released to the public like this. :fm:

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
I'm going out to fix mine this morning. My son took his father-in-law out in it last night and it did it again. Thank God he knew what to do....but it bounced off the rev limiter again. This is ridiculous and someone is going to get killed.

dougwg

Established Member
shocker 420 said:
wait... so what do you do if it does happen?!

Just try to pull it off, somehow...

turn the key to the off possition.... BUT DON"T LOCK THE STEERING WHEEL

Rice Eatr

Established Member
Is it the floor mat or the carpet, sorry but this has not happened to me yet.

dougwg - Did you get my PM on the shocks?

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
Right. Carpet. The hinge pin gets stuck. I cut mine out and it won't happen again. But everyone needs to file the complaint. We may save someone's life.

jeffsvt

Established Member
I got a call today from the NHTSA asking some questions about my complaint . And they said they have talked to several other people with the same problems and hopefully they can get something done about it .

Emil

Established Member
I got a call today from the NHTSA asking some questions about my complaint . And they said they have talked to several other people with the same problems and hopefully they can get something done about it .
They called me today also. I sure hope they can get a simple recall to prevent someone from being seriously hurt!

NY04snake

track rat
Established Member
don't wait for a recall, cut a notch or at least cut a slit. Once the carpet can't touch the low hinge on the backside of the pedal, it can't get stuck. I knew about this and was lazy and almost got bit. cut the carpet.

attachment.php

attachment.php

- 04_snake

WhiteSnake74

Established Member
NY04snake said:
don't wait for a recall, cut a notch or at least cut a slit. Once the carpet can't touch the low hinge on the backside of the pedal, it can't get stuck. I knew about this and was lazy and almost got bit. cut the carpet.
- 04_snake

Thanks for sharing those pics, I'm sure they will be very helpful for ALL 03/04 Cobra owners, especially 04's, since this is a VERY common problem among them.

It happened to me last month and as soon as I noticed that it was caused by the carpet, I fixed it immediately. First, cut your carpet and then file the complaint.

If this has happened already, be sure to check you FRPS (Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor) because bouncing off the rev limiter like that, can blow it. And you don't want fuel mixed with your oil. I replaced it just for a peace of mind. It costs around $45.

tscripa

This will get added to my project list for this Saturday. Thanks for the heads-up all. It hasn't happened to me yet but I am not going to wait until it does.

Users who are viewing this thread