Pedal Stuck Under Carpet...PLEASE READ!!!

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
I think there could be a liability issue if someone ignored the recall notices and then got in an accident because of stuck throttle (or if the insurance company even *thinks* it was a case of unintended acceleration)

GET IT FIXED, EVERYONE!

Last edited:

BBCOBRA

Established Member
JB said:
I think there could be a liability issue if someone ignored the recall notices and then got in an accident because of stuck throttle (or if the insurance company even *thinks* it was a case of unintended acceleration)

GET IT FIXED, EVERYONE!

I finally took mine in last week for that very reason. I kept hesitating due to the upper pulley on mine. Funny thing is, the service writer asked about my CAI and asked if I had considered the possibility of water getting sucked into the filter. I told him that I hadn't had any problems and hadn't heard of any so far with the JLT CAI. He never mentioned the pulley. :rollseyes

icemanzx7

icemanzx7
Established Member
There's a Tech bulletin out on this subject. I refused to take mine in and have some non-mechanic work on my car, much less, let him drive it. With 600hp on tap, people tend to try it out on the test drive. I've always done all my own work. I have the fix for this problem. All I did was use two sheet metal screws with two washers and fastened the carpet to the bellhousing tunnel. I know we shouldn't have to fix it ourselves, but if like someone else working on your ride, take her on in.....:shrug:

RoadZOmbie

Established Member
I haven't had the carpet get in the way of my pedal......but I had the BLACK HEATER VENT TUBE right about the freaking Brake & Gas Pedal get in the way! I was coming off the fwy and had to slam on my brakes (well I tried) because some guy decided to get off at the last minute & really cut me off...needless to say my foot went for the brake pedal but got all HEATER VENT TUBE instead.....in a spilt second I had to swirve onto the right just missing him by about one inch and missing the retainer wall by about 3 inches. THANK GOD FOR THE E-BRAKE! So I took that damn TUBE OFF!

chrish900

TT Crazy
Established Member
Recall Notice

Ford did put out a recall notice for the carpet/pedal issue. You should have been contacted by the dealer either late 2006 or early 2007. I believe they put a plate in to hold it.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
If you don't want the service department to touch your car, go to the parts counter and ask for part # 3R3Z130B59A. It is $15 and you can bolt it on yourself.

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
4 times already,last time I cut the carpet ,almost blow the motor :(

Ford Mustang Cobra Recall

April 11, 2006
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has issued a recall notice for 19,140 of the 2003 and 2004 Ford Mustangs because the carpeting may cause the accelerator pedal to fail to return to the idle position.

NHTSA says the carpeting could interfere with the pedal's ability to return to the idle position causing unexpected, continued throttle application and increased stopping distances that could result in a crash.

"On certain Mustang Cobra passenger vehicles," NHTSA warns, "the rear surface of the accelerator pedal may come into contact with the floor carpeting during heavy application. The unique surface profile of the accelerator pedal may catch the cutout on the floor carpeting behind the pedal."

Ford dealers will install a shield over the cutout in the carpet behind the accelerator pedal.

The recall will begin on April 26. Mustang Cobra owners may contact ford at 1-800-392-3673 or NHTSA at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153).

Some folks did the fix themselves.
Think there is a how-to here, do a search.
NM, I see you fixed it... :sleeping:
Jeff

Last edited:

mmustangsrus

boost makes daddy happy
Established Member
i just seen this thread now if would have know about this in 05 when i totaled my 03-cobra coupe but didnt find out about it untill late 06 when a bought my cobra in my sig & YES IT HAS THE THE RECALL FIX :beer:

i believe this may have contributed to my total loss wreck.went to pass a car going about 30 mph and floored it for a sec and the car never seemed to stop.it was an 03 cobra.
x2 :( :cryying: & i broke my arm in the wreck too

1hot281

Established Member
Wow... i had NO IDEA this was a regular problem experienced by other Mustang owners... i cut up my carpet and used double-sided tape to try and hold it out of the way...

cobrakidz

High mileage R
Established Member
I will go into the local Ford dealer this coming week and let you know what they say. I would think if it's a safety issue they would have to cover it.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
They'll do it for free, regardless of mileage.

Federal safety recalls have no expiration.

ten min job if they have the part in stock.

:read: Owner Notification Letter

Although cutting carpet might eliminate the safety risk, it may not do anything to to mitigate your liability if an accident occurs.

JPIStang

Stay Classy San Diego!
Established Member
On a related subject, 4 people died in Santee yesterday after the gas pedal got stuck on their Lexus. They were headed northbound on the 125, went through the intersection on Mission Gorge, crashing through another vehicle, and then went airborne over the embankment, finally catching on fire after it came to a rest.

Obviously they could have done some common sense stuff to avoid dying, like taking it out of gear or shutting off the ignition, but that doesn't make it any less serious of an issue. If you haven't had the recall done, it would be a good thing to get done.

cobrakidz

High mileage R
Established Member
They'll do it for free, regardless of mileage.

Federal safety recalls have no expiration.

ten min job if they have the part in stock.

:read: Owner Notification Letter

Although cutting carpet might eliminate the safety risk, it may not do anything to to mitigate your liability if an accident occurs.

I went to the local Ford dealer today and he ran my vin through the TSB program, said there was no issue with the carpet/pedal. I printed this letter and will go back and let him know it's a safety recall and not a TSB.

s/cjackazz

Established Member
I knew the recall was out there but didn't take it in until I knew about a retainer sleeve TSB. When I took my car in for the TSB fix, the dealer ran a TSB and recall list on the car... so they fixed it. Two years later with no problems.

Users who are viewing this thread