Performance cams and new California smog test?

FIREBALL

Established Member
Now that California doesnt have a sniff test on OBD2 systems, (they now only check computer through OBD2 port) will changing cams and their timing effect the test negatively causing it to fail? Any Calif. people out there with knowledge and experience with this. Im mostly talking about a mild performance cam upgrade like one of the more mild Comp Cams.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Unless the cams have a CARB number they're not legal. And unless they're pretty mild I can't imagine a smog tech not noticing them. I don't know how the more mild cams idle. So really it'll come down to the tech ignoring the lope.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

FIREBALL

Established Member
They only go by what their computer reads off the obd2 and then it gives them a print out of pass or fail. The only other thing they go by is visual inspection---they cant see the cams and they dont have an option of failing the car for how it sounds. I just need to know if it will effect the computer and/or throw the check engine light on.

RX1Cobra

Established Member
You'd need a tune obviously but the check engine light shouldn't be on. I'm in IL and we only have the OBD2 test too. My car passes with an 03 Eaton and no cats (rear 02s still on but resister in line to keep the light off).

FIREBALL

Established Member
You'd need a tune obviously but the check engine light shouldn't be on. I'm in IL and we only have the OBD2 test too. My car passes with an 03 Eaton and no cats (rear 02s still on but resister in line to keep the light off).

Thanks, the comp cams im considering calls for no tune and I will still be running cats because we have the visual check here in Calif. I think I need to look up some hot rod shops in southern ca. and see what they say, Im sure there are plenty of people who have done cam upgrades here that still pass smog, but I need to be sure before I pull trigger on $1300 worth of cams.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
They only go by what their computer reads off the obd2 and then it gives them a print out of pass or fail. The only other thing they go by is visual inspection---they cant see the cams and they dont have an option of failing the car for how it sounds. I just need to know if it will effect the computer and/or throw the check engine light on.
They can't see them, but they can hear them. Good luck in your quest.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

FIREBALL

Established Member
Well like i said in my quote that you posted, -- they cant fail the car for how it sounds--------they only go by the computer and visual, besides it will be mild cams and the lope or sound is not going to be that much noticeable. I would like to hear from any Calif. guys that have been denied smog because of sound only. And would like to hear from any who have passed or failed because of changing cams only.

Last edited:

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Well like i said in my quote that you posted, -- they cant fail the car for how it sounds--------they only go by the computer and visual.

Actually they can. Or they can tell you they won't smog it. Which creates it's own issues. A car without a stock type idle obviously has things changed internally. It's part of the "visual". It's why I went with GT cams in my last set up. I have friends that have smog shops. So I might have a small idea of what I'm talking about.

As I said, good luck with your endeavor. You might want to save up a spare $300 for your future smog checks.

Users who are viewing this thread