Performance radiator for 2014 Mustang GT automatic

xunantunich

Established Member
Anyone know where i can pick up a decent aluminum radiator for my GT that wont force me to use a separate tranny cooler . I keep finding mishimoto's that are for manual only and havent come across anything made for automatic.. Stock radiators are really crap , i have cobra jet intake and E85 .. running the boss oil cooler but looking at replacing radiator since i see temps of 210 during the winter time .. still low , but i would rather stay between 195-215 and i can see that is not going to happen when summer comes back around..

thanks!

fuelforfire87

Established Member
You should check out AFCO radiators. I know the aftermarket radiators for our cars say they will only work for the manual trans, but any aftermarket radiator can work with some modification. You just have to figure out a way to connect the auto trans cooler lines and it will work. Maybe talk to some performance shops in your area to see if they can help you

clinton2003

Established Member
The radiator is the same part between the auto's and manuals. the radiators do not have built in trans coolers. The factory 6r80 trans cooler is stand alone. have you even looked up under there? lol

therefore you can use any aftermarket radiator without any changes...
they coyote cars like to be on the warmer side, it is not recommended to put like a 180 thermostat in unless you are having issues with getting too warm.
The factory thermostat is 195, therefore if your planning on getting it down to that temp, that will be almost impossible... if you want it cooler, you're probably going to have to drop the thermostat temp....

that being said, its not a bad idea to have the extra cooling capacity.

also we dont have a coolant temperature sensor.... so unless you add one, you will not know the actual temp of the coolant. Our coolant temp is inferred from the dry cylinder head temp sensor. So best bet is to watch the temp on that sensor.

fuelforfire87

Established Member
The radiator is the same part between the auto's and manuals. the radiators do not have built in trans coolers. The factory 6r80 trans cooler is stand alone. have you even looked up under there? lol

therefore you can use any aftermarket radiator without any changes...
they coyote cars like to be on the warmer side, it is not recommended to put like a 180 thermostat in unless you are having issues with getting too warm.
The factory thermostat is 195, therefore if your planning on getting it down to that temp, that will be almost impossible... if you want it cooler, you're probably going to have to drop the thermostat temp....

that being said, its not a bad idea to have the extra cooling capacity.

also we dont have a coolant temperature sensor.... so unless you add one, you will not know the actual temp of the coolant. Our coolant temp is inferred from the dry cylinder head temp sensor. So best bet is to watch the temp on that sensor.

The stock thermostat opens at 180 degrees. That's why all of the aftermarket T-stats are either 170 degrees or lower.

fuelforfire87

Established Member
Also did some research on the ford racing radiator being a direct bolt on and it isn't, it does require a bit of modification. Brenspeed sells the Afco radiator with the correct hardware to install on an auto stang. I didn't realize that the auto trans has its own cooler. See the link below for details

http://www.brenspeed.com/81283n.html

It gives the following warning when installing on autos:

PLEASE CHOOSE WHAT TYPE OF TRANSMISSION YOU HAVE FROM THE DROP DOWN MENU WHEN ORDERING. Automatic transmissions MUST use short bolts when mounting the transmission cooler to the radiator. *DO NOT USE FACTORY TRANSMISSION COOLER MOUNTING BOLTS ON AN AUTO.

fuelforfire87

Established Member
What mods? I haven't heard of any issues with a 13-14
You know actually i might be mistaken, i was just reading the reviews on American Muscle for that radiator and a few of them said it wasnt a direct bolt on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

clinton2003

Established Member
The stock thermostat opens at 180 degrees. That's why all of the aftermarket T-stats are either 170 degrees or lower.
IF you do some actual research you will see that the factory thermostat is between 190 and 195 (i believe its been said its 192)

That being said...

I have a UPR all Alluminum radiator (identical to mishimoto, both claiming 25% more cooling capacity) and i have had 0 cooling issues with the stock thermostat. I always run e85 (have for last 30k miles) and now with the built motor its the same thing, no cooling issues with my original thermostat... Summer it runs about 200, 205 driving around, and at the track after a full pass, same, still really good tems, thing it peaked around 210 on the high boost... enough to make roughly 1200 wheel.....

But i suppose your case is special, seeing how you read online that blah blah blah.....

take the advise or not. I just thought i would attempt to pass on information.

StalkerStang

Established Member
210 is nothing for a modern car....

I live in Phoenix, in summer at 110+ outside, a/c on and stuck in traffic, no issues.

Stock radiator is fine. Only reason is change it is if you are tracking it; road racing autoX not drag.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

jk57

Established Member
Try a ford performance gt500 Radiator fan 7 blades vs the 6 blade stock fan I put one on my 2012 gt easy install

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

clinton2003

Established Member
Why not get the upr radiator. Its 200, and i know its a direct fit.

Mishumoto just does that to cover their ass. All 6r80 cars have a stand alone cooler.

Mishimoto has a lifetime warranty for 250, would of gotten that one if i would of read upr fine print... ( Lifetime warranty on all their products except radiators....)

Users who are viewing this thread