PLEASE HELP! clutch not going into gear!!

svt_cobra01

Established Member
i just installed a oem ford clutch cable, steeda quadrant & firewall adjuster because my cable snapped at the plastic quadrant. the plastic piece looked to be the cause of the snapped cable, but not 100% on that im not a mechanic. after the install my clutch will not go into any gear after pushing the clutch peddle to the floor. the adjuster is screwed all the way in because any looser and it feels like the cable is going to break. what can cause me to not be able to go into gear after installing these pieces??? TOB or fork maybe? i really need help or opinions on this from someone who knows their stuff.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
You need to tighten the cable. If you have too much slack then the clutch won't disengage enough to get the trans into gear.

svt_cobra01

Established Member
You need to tighten the cable. If you have too much slack then the clutch won't disengage enough to get the trans into gear.
if i tighten the cable any more the clutch is very stiff and it doesnt go all the way to the floor without feeling like its going to snap from the tension. its a exact replacment cable idenical to the one i took off the car. i cant afford to snap this new cable. is a stiff peddle normal with a firewall and quadrant? have no experience with this

svt_cobra01

Established Member
nevermind man i tightened it about 5-6 clicks and it slid straight into gear. bro you are a serious life saver thank you so much. i wouldnt have tried to tighten it anymore, it seemed to engage better for some reason. THE COBRA LIVES :)

slonech

Dark Side
Established Member
also double check that you routed the cable exactly like the one you pulled out and it is not binding somehow around the k member area. other than that, sounds like you are good to go!

Users who are viewing this thread