Polyurethane Offset Steering Rack Bushings or MM Aluminum Bushings?

AnthonyRosas

Established Member
question is exactly what it reads

trying to decide between these 2?

right now everything is factory and i'm about to do some suspension mods (on order)

Steering rack mod on my list - but unsure of which is better?
right now the steering feels kinda sloppy so i wanna tighten it up espcially when entering a corner

my car is a street car - about to get:
H&R race springs
shocks (BS HD)
sway-bars f+r
MM XL subframe connectors
X2 balljoints
bumpsteer kit
CC plates

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I've ran the aluminum bushings in the past with good luck. No noise or anything. It seemed to help the response. When I did those it was all I did. After replacing the inner and outer tie rods it's really responsive.

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
Have a look at your steering shaft as well. If the rag joint is sloppy, upgrade to the Maximum Motorsports steering shaft. Expensive, but worth it!

mr. b_98GT

Established Member
I'm running almost the same set-up as you, only difference is I'm using stock balljoints instead of X2's, and I don't have a bumpsteer kit on yet. I didn't go with the X2's because the H&R Race Springs are not that drastic of a drop. Pretty sure you can use either balljoint (I have X2's on my 98 with Ford C Springs). I have the MM aluminum bushings, and you will notice a difference once they are in. Only drawback is making sure they are installed properly, and the fact that once you install them, you can't really go back to stock or poly bushings unless you get new bolt tubes (or whatever they are called). I had to re-install the aluminum bushings after I put them in to flatten the area around the hole where they bolt up to keep them from hitting the k-member. Read the instructions, it tells you about this. If you install them, and get a popping feeling when you turn, they are hitting the k-member.

You didn't list if you are using isolator's or not. You'll get lots of opinions on this. If it's a daily, or you don't want it slammed, get some MM Isolators or re-use the stock ones, and install the spring spacer that comes with the X2's. You can also do variations of one iso in front, no iso's in rear, or other combo's to get whatever desired look you want. I prefer a stock like rake and just lowered slightly but not so much that I have to worry about scraping the exhaust or k-member. I also feel like when the car is really low, it doesn't give the suspension enough room to work to it's full potential, and I didn't want to spend all this money on suspension parts and not allow them to work as intended. The suspension set-up that was on my car when I first got it was pretty low, and it rode like crap.

Like 2DXTRM said above, put in a MM steering shaft while you are at it. From what I've read, that really helps. I plan on eventually getting one and installing it along with a MM bumpsteer kit.

Last edited:

AnthonyRosas

Established Member
yeah good point. im gonna look into the steering shaft from MM.

as far as ISO's go...im planning on keeping the stock ones in to help keep the car somewhat lower.

i read that the H&R race are not as low as the Sports - but the sports are too low.
so my hope is to leave factory ISO's in - ive read that the MM ISO's are a little thicker than factory.
i also may not use the spacer provided with the X2's

i dont daily the car..its a toy. so im good with it being a little lower

Users who are viewing this thread