Ported Throttle Body Testing

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
I finally did a few tests on some throttle bodies on my car last night. Was pretty surprised at one of the tb's and how it did. All testing was started with coolant temps at 180*'s and the blower just barely warm to the touch. Probably about 15 minutes in between each run. We didn't log IAT's and such just because I really didn't think it would show a whole lot. So here's what was tested....

1. Ported Dragon
2. Ported Accufab
3. Ported Stocker

4. I'm looking for a nonported Stock tb/plenum locally to put it on the car because it's still strapped down on the dyno before my blower comes off and the Project Eaton goes on.

Boost
__________Peak______bled down to
Dragon-------17.5-----------15
Accufab------16.8--------------14.5
Port Stock---16.5------------14.5

Peak Numbers
_____________HP___________TQ
Dragon--------524----------------540
Accufab-------516----------------536
Port Stock-----514----------------534

Now here's where it gets interesting....

HP and TQ at 4700 rpm's

Dragon------475--------532
Accufab-----465--------520
Port Stock--463--------520

HP at 6200 rpm's

Dragon---------518
Accufab--------504
Port Stock-----503

The Ported Stocker and the Accufab pretty much had identical graphs in that they both peaked lower than the Dragon and pretty much made the exact same numbers as you can see above. Pretty hard to believe but the car was cooled the same and we made 2 pulls with all of them and they repeated. The Dragon made the best numbers, most boost seen, peaked higher in the rpm's, and carried it out better than the other two. I thought the Accufab would pretty much dyno the exact same as the Dragon. Also that's my personal Accufab and it's ported as much as possible without any welding. Same for the Dragon and the Ported Stocker as in no welding.

Last edited:

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Non Ported Stock tb/plenum

Peak was down 27hp and the torque was down 16ft. lbs compared to the Ported Dragon Peaked at about 5,800 also.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Here's the Graph comparing the Accufab and the Dragon. I would assume you guys are as surprised at the outcome of this as me. I'm kind of baffled that the Accufab was this far behind.

Dyno.jpg

RacePortPlus013.jpg

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Alright the last two graphs I have on this.

First one is just the non ported stock tb/plenum and then the second one is comparing the non ported stocker against the Ported Dragon tb/plenum to show that also.

Dyno3.jpg

Dyno2.jpg

so_r_crazy

Established Member
Brian when you note port stocker, what all is ported? Did you just polish up and TB and leave the blades alone, or did you pull the blades bore and add larger TB buterflys?

Also did you use the plenums for each TB, or just one and changed out the TB? Were the plenums ported as well? I assume so, but still wanted to check.

Any chance you going to test a BF TB and plenum?

Reason I ask I may ditch the idea of a BF TB and plenum and just go with the stock ported TB and welded/ported plenum I have.

To be honest I am not suprised how well the ported stocker worked, because another thing that few people consider in testing is velocity. Yes a SBTB will add CFM, but a ported stock TB will add some CFM, but maintain a higher velocity of air entering the engine due to the split TB openings.

Ask any professional that ports head, bigger is not always better if you not moving that air.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Ported stocker consists of the Throttle Body being massaged for more flow the but the Bore's stay the same size as stock. Plenum is ported also.

Every throttle body was ran with it's own Plenum. Accufab tb with its plenum and so on.

Testing is over now because the Ported Eaton Project is going on the car. I guess I could test a Billet Flow but I'd have to find one, port it, and get before numbers off the new blower again. So I doubt I'll be testing one anytime soon.

JamesHell

to poor to be fast
Established Member
I could send you mine for testing as the car is down for the winter. It is ported pretty good. And I wouldn't need it back for a bit.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
If I can get the car back over there I'll send you a pm and try to test it. Then for you letting me borrow it if I saw anywhere to cut I'd port it some more before it went back out to you for free.

JamesHell

to poor to be fast
Established Member
Cool.

I know when I first got the BF TB I couldn't believe that the plate wasn't the size of the opening like the Dragon is. I had the BBK twin 62mm on a stock elbow before. After I did a little math the BBK had the same surface area as the BF? In other words I the only thing I bought was a better elbow and better throttle response. The BBK was jumpy.
Though I have to admit I can't believe the accufab was that restrictive?

LMK,
James

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
^I'm baffled on the Accufab also as I'm sure a lot of other people are too.

If I can somehow figure out how to set some testing up again for the BF I'll pm you and let you know. After this week though I'm dyno'd out for a while.

birdman941

Illiterate Proofreader
Established Member
I am aware that Dragon is now making Terminator TB/ plenums
and it has the IAC underneath.
First, got any pics of one? The Dragon site does not really show it with the IAC installed.
Also, to what do you attribute the extra power over the others?
Really curious.
Thanks.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
I am aware that Dragon is now making Terminator TB/ plenums
and it has the IAC underneath.
First, got any pics of one? The Dragon site does not really show it with the IAC installed.
Also, to what do you attribute the extra power over the others?
Really curious.
Thanks.

Actually I don't have a picture with the Dragon on my car.

Larger tb and my guess would be mostly from the better flowing plenum compared to the others.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Mine hasn't been on the car long enough to settle down. How many miles are on yours? If there aren't many then just drive it and see if it settles down. It could take 200 to 250 miles for it to do so. Also where did you buy it?

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
What is the dragon who sells it? I'm intrested

Dragon tb/plenum seems to be at the time the best tb/plenum for 03/04 Cobra's. Results are in this thread. Dragon Performance makes them and quite a few suppliers sell them. I sell them for $500 port matched to any inlet of a supercharger. Or $450 non ported plus shipping on both.

Dragon Performance Parts

EVL VNM

Established Member
You have me sold on your business. Couldnt believe the accufab performed so low. Also sent you a pm sunday? Let me know if you got it.

Users who are viewing this thread