• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

positive I was going to get a ticket......but didn't

Discussion in 'Donut Shop' started by TaraFirma, Oct 28, 2017.

1. TaraFirma

TaraFirma Well-Known Member Established Member

So this morning I was on my way home from church on a nice back road, when I was pulled over by the local police. This is the first time since late 06 that I've been pulled over for speeding, and the first time ever in the GT350. This wasn't my first time getting pulled over and I thought for sure I was getting a ticket based on what I knew my speed was when I recognized the SUV to be a patrol vehicle. I didn't however, and was very surprised based solely on the speed I was told I was clocked. I'd like some input from the SVTP LEO's on what they think about my interaction. I'd like to believe it was my actions and attitude that got me a warning instead of a hefty fine.
    I pulled over immediately when it was safe to do so, shut my car and radio off, rolled down the windows, and placed both hands on the steering wheel. The female officer was very polite and professional. Greeted me, I greeted her back, then told me why I was pulled over. (67 in a 45)
    She mentioned the fast car and that it was "beautiful", and that she too has a fast challenger and likes to drive it, then asked for the licence and insurance. Right then I mentioned that I had a licence to carry and that my pistol was in my center console. She thanked me for informing her, then I grabbed my wallet in the cup holder and pulled out my DL, licence to carry, and military ID. I then told her my insurance was in the glove box. She said go ahead and get that, so I did. She goes back to her vehicle and after a few minutes comes back and tells me to slow it down and to take it out onto the TOLL road to go fast (TX 130 ha 85 MPH speed limit) hands me back my stuff and tells me to be safe and have a good day.
    I can't think of a better way this could have gone other than me not speeding in the first place, but at 22 MPH over the posted limit I thought for sure I was getting a citation.
    My question to the LEO's here is; did I just get really lucky today in having a car enthusiast pull me over or did my actions and attitude play more of a role in me getting just a warning?

Thanks in advance for any input
    Also, I've got a lot of respect for what police and first responders do day in and day out for little pay and even less recognition.

Zemedici likes this.
  2. 13COBRA

13COBRA Banned Premium Member

Well.

How would anyone in here know? lol

2KBlackGT likes this.
  3. CobraBob

CobraBob Authorized Vendor Premium Member

Oh, we've got a few LEOs on board. ;)

Ken, I'd say it was probably a combination of a number of things.
    1. You were polite and quick to work with the officer.
    2. She shared your interest in performance cars (ie. an enthusiast).
    3. She was returning your politeness with a break for you.

4. spectreman

spectreman Active Member Established Member

Here's the bottom line w/LEO's and I speak as a retired one.

You never know who's gonna pull you over. I knew guys who would write their own mom; matter of fact, I just met a motorman who did just that fairly recently- wrote his mom a ticket for not wearing her seatbelt, no shiite.

Other times, officers are 'encouraged' to work traffic to show they're doing something, or they're targeting an area for accidents or citizen complaints of speeders, or they're working proactive patrols, looking for drugs. Who knows?

Generally tho, I think it's fair to say that if you're polite & respectful, it decreases your chances- not guarantees- your chance of a ticket. Cops are people too and want to be treated that way, even the guys who'd write their moms. Courtesy goes a long way.
    Lee

Mojo88 likes this.
  5. 13COBRA

13COBRA Banned Premium Member

Oh I knew that.

I guess I was just pointing out that maybe the LEO:

1.) Was having an exceptionally good day.
    2.) Had another call that was more important.
    3.) She was headed to lunch.
    4.) She had a thing for the OP.
    5.) She didn't have any more tickets in her book.
    6.) She wasn't a traffic officer and just pulled him over when she saw him exceeding the speed limit to slow him down.
    7.) Etc etc etc

6. tistan

tistan Well-Known Member Established Member

Any time I get pulled over, first thing I do is hand the officer my ccw, inform them that I am armed, and ask if he would like for me to remove my gun. Usually they ask where it is, and if it isn't in reach they tell me to keep it where it is. I have not received a ticket anytime I have shown my ccw. I also havn't been pulled over for anything crazy since I've had my ccw. I think the worst was 17 over the limit.

7. TK1299

TK1299 Well-Known Member Established Member

A lot of cops don't like to write tickets. I am thinking because you were polite, had all your stuff(current and valid T.D.L., insurance, etc..) and Military ID(which is a big help), and came across as a good person then the officer probably felt no need to issue a citation. Plus she liked your car, and quite possibly your haircut lol, and seems a car enthusiast herself so she could relate.
    The stars were aligned. But in a normally busy area where the cops see a lot of action, 67/45 is really NBD anyway.

8. Mojo88

Mojo88 "Hammer" Time Established Member

One of my best buds is retired LEO, and his policy was if you are military or cop or firefighter, then you ain't getting a ticket unless it's REALLY deserved. I believe the proper term is "professional courtesy". However, as a civilian it doesn't really seem fair that certain folks get to break the law while others don't. But this is the way of the world.

9. choate

choate Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand Established Member

Bold LOL. I think he just got lucky and she liked the car. You never know about getting tickets. About 2 weeks ago I was cruising in the left lane b/c I needed to exit in about 2 miles from the left lane and cars were on the right. I was doing about 75-80mph in a 65 running radar. Car lights coming up behind me hard like 100mph but I didn't get over b/c I didn't know if I'd be able to get back in time to exit. As the car gets close to me like 5 car lengths bright lights me so I floored it. As soon as I did that I got the cherries and berries. I let off but passed the rest of the cars and got right and officer turns off the blue and reds and goes on about his way. I thought I was in trouble for SURE and didn't even get pulled over

10. black92

black92 Hot rod Lincoln Established Member

I'd say you got lucky, like I did. My truck wouldn't start one morning and I needed to get to school, so my dad let me take a 1996 Eagle Talon Turbo that was sitting there. Got to school and a friend wanted to go for a ride, so we went for a quick spin. I got pulled over for doing 87 in a 55. The car had no tags, no insurance, I was in front of the high school and 16 years old... He gave me a warning. Whew!

11. massmustang02

massmustang02 I hate Wrist Pins Established Member

My guess is courtesy, honesty, military ID, type of car since she liked it, and perhaps if you have a good driving record. I'll also echo from my personal experience when I conduct a traffic stop, the driver's behavior and honesty tend to determine the outcome of what they receive. The idea behind traffic citations is to deter and educate. I also have a lot of discretion because of management and Mass not allowing quotas.

12. OETKB

OETKB I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken. Established Member

I haven't had a ticket since 1989.
    I clearly drive too slow.