possible bent axle from factory in my 2013 5.0??

hdmlnium1

Established Member
Ok I've been looking through the posts and didn't find any mention of this problem.
I have a 2013 5.0 m-82 6-speed car with the optional 3:73 rear gears..
I've had a rotational squeak since I bought the car and it has seemed to get worse over a little time.. I also noticed about three days after I bought the car on went on the highway for the first time and I have a rear end Howell..
At my first oil change at 1000 miles I asked my mechanic what he thought the squeak was. He thought I had a warped driversside rear rotor. So I blew it off for a while. Anyway I ordered Four new rotors and I just changed them last night. It still makes the same noise and my mechanic now thinks my axle may be bent. Maybe also why the rear end howells..
Before I bring it in to the dealership I thought I would check on the forum if anyone else had this problem or heard about anyone having this issue..
Thanks, Bill...

Coyote'13

"He gone"
Established Member
As far as the rear end noise mine has always been there to some extent. I think the shorter gears you have, the more rear end noise.

As far as that squeak goes, I had a squeak like you described that I first noticed at a round about. It sounded like brakes but did not disappear when I applied the regular brakes or parking brake. I noticed it was load dependent. Meaning it would disappear when I was accelerating. If I maintained a low speed or coasted it would come back. Sounded like it came from the drivers side rear as well. I did the research and found the same thing, possible bent axle.

How many miles you have on your car? I was hearing the noise around 12k miles.

Mine noise vanished by itself though. I was gonna have it looked at when they fixed my projectors. I would say I had it for at least a couple weeks.

BMR Tech

It's not impossible. I'd let them dig into it and fix whatever they feel the need to, while it is under warranty.

I deal with many 2011+ Mustang owners who have bent axles, and twisted axle tubes - with hardly any modifications to the car, on stock suspension and tires. It happens, unfortunately. Wheel-hop is typically the culprit.

hdmlnium1

Established Member
Factory fill change at 1k miles? Is your motor ticking?

No no ticking.. changed the engine oil at 1000 miles like I've always done in the past used Mobil 1 on that change and then at 4000 miles changed motor oil, trans fluid, and rear end fluid all over to Amsoil.
On the noise I hear it louder when cornering, and going slow.
If I hit my breaks lightly the noise gets louder. If I put more pressure on the break pettel the noise goes away. That's why my mechanic originally thought the rotor was warped..
Oh and I now have 5500 miles on the car..
Bill

9secWS6

Established Member
My drivers side axle is bent, been making that noise since new. I put it on the lift to check it and sure enough it was. I'll order some axles at some point, my warranty isnt much good anymore!

99mstng

Established Member
Its a bent axle flange ... a number of us have had it. Sounds like a chirping sound from the rear goes away when engaging the brakes or pulling the e brake partially. Dealer replaced pads first to no avail then measured axle clearance upon my request and replaced the axle under warranty.

Last edited:

86merc

Established Member
The howl is normal. Every 3.73 11+ mustang ive driven or worked on has had it. Its just the gears ford used.

That is not the case. It is not the gear itself. It is the specs they use to set it up. I had a gear replaced under warranty and set per factory specs. It made noise. It was replaced again under warranty but this time with specs I asked the mechanic to use. Almost no noise at all. If I had the factory control arms with the rubber bushings I doubt I would hear it at all. Several other people have swapped gears and tightened up the pinion preload and had much reduced noise. I am sure ford sets them up so they last the longest under different conditions. But that noise can be load and annoying for sure.

hdmlnium1

Established Member
Ok, I called the dealership where I bought my car. I'm dropping it off Next Monday night after I get out of work to try to figure out what they will do for me. I'll keep you so updated after they diagnose the problem and decide what to do..
Thanks for all the replies..
Bill

D.T.R

Established Member
This is exactly what my 2012 did.
They said it was something brake related. The noise went away for about a week... at that time, i already had my mind set on trading it for a 2014 A6.... so right before i traded it, the noise came back. Same symptoms as most of you described... sounds like it's on the driver side rear, squicky noise, gets worse at low speeds and even worse when the brakes are slightly applied. if you brake hard or accelerate it goes away. it probably is a bent axle...

poof100

Established Member
This is exactly what my 2012 did.
They said it was something brake related. The noise went away for about a week... at that time, i already had my mind set on trading it for a 2014 A6.... so right before i traded it, the noise came back. Same symptoms as most of you described... sounds like it's on the driver side rear, squicky noise, gets worse at low speeds and even worse when the brakes are slightly applied. if you brake hard or accelerate it goes away. it probably is a bent axle...

I have the exact same noise too. When I slightly tap the brakes, it squeaks like all hell. If I hit the brakes hard, it doesn't do it. Driving is fine and only makes the squeak noise when I tap the brakes coming to a stop. I was originally thinking it was Rear Brake related, as the Donkey running the Dyno at the American Muscle show forgot to turn off Advance Trac and glazed my rear brakes trying to make 800+hp, they got Nascar Red hot lol.

BLK93GT

Established Member
My 2011 GT500 has a roaring kind of sound on decel. You can hear/feel it. It seems to be when engine is underload on decel. Definitely rear end. I'm changing gear oil tonight. I was thinking warped rotors or something.

D.T.R

Established Member
has anyone had this noise, and had the dealership fix it properly? meaning and it never came back? lol
in that case, what was it? axle? brake? gear?

stangn

Established Member
I have talk with tech at Brandon Ford and they have had a lot of gear/rear end troubles. I changed to 3:55 at like 1500 miles and the bearing races were burnt and pitted badly. Replaced all the bearings and races but still made some noise. On fox body 8.8 we did a 4:10 install and the NEW Ford racing gear wouldn't set up right and the weirdest pattern. Pull an old used 4:10 out of and axle laying around and found Ford is using a different gear manufacturer, can visibly see the differences. IMO the new gears are junk and the bearings ford sold me were junk as well. Do your own google search on ford racing gears and see how many problems there are these days.

NickSezz

Established Member
I have talk with tech at Brandon Ford and they have had a lot of gear/rear end troubles. I changed to 3:55 at like 1500 miles and the bearing races were burnt and pitted badly. Replaced all the bearings and races but still made some noise. On fox body 8.8 we did a 4:10 install and the NEW Ford racing gear wouldn't set up right and the weirdest pattern. Pull an old used 4:10 out of and axle laying around and found Ford is using a different gear manufacturer, can visibly see the differences. IMO the new gears are junk and the bearings ford sold me were junk as well. Do your own google search on ford racing gears and see how many problems there are these days.

I have seen this as well. We used to try and stay away from gears like Motive since they made more noise. We always utilized Ford OEM or Ford Racing gears. I could be wrong, but I believe Motive makes all of the gears now...

JOK3R

Established Member
I've had it since I bought my '14 new. (8/13/13)

Been to the dealer 5 times and never fixed. They are convinced it is the ring and pinion. Since Ford sent an engineer out, who looked at my car and drove it, he said it was "acceptable noise" and they will not authorize any repairs under warranty.

Shitty situation that makes me positive I will never buy a Ford again. Dealing with them and the dealer has been a complete nightmare.

EDIT: Car is a GT base with 3.31's and the MT-82 6-speed. Due to my relentless complaining and bitching, I may end up in a new '14 next week. Working out the details with the GM of the dealer now. I should know for sure by tomorrow. (although I'm expecting nothing since my dealership sucks ass)

Last edited:

D.T.R

Established Member
I wonder if most of the people with this noise/issue are manual or automatic transmissions? or both?

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
My car sounds like a Sherman tank, and always has. I am sure I have a bent driver's side axle flange. No f*cks are given.

Mike

99mstng

Established Member
has anyone had this noise, and had the dealership fix it properly? meaning and it never came back? lol
in that case, what was it? axle? brake? gear?

Yes - bent axle flange replaced the second time I went in (first try was rear pads). Its been about 8k miles since then no rear end chirping anymore.

I think this was caused by horrible wheel hop with the stock brembo suspension/tires. That was a violent combo - new tires and I've got no hop anymore.

No f*cks are given.

Mike

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread