Powder-coat Paint on Rims

CWO AMMO-TECH

Established Member
Heyes folks. Anyone do their SVT basic battleship grey as I call it Rims in a powder coat application. My friends son has a sideline doing powder coat. His oven is huge and and he does nice work. Had him do some parts on my Inertia Build Magnum before I Sold it and another Mopar to by the Shelby. He has a Dark Cherry Colour that I think would Closely match my Ruby Red, Very Deep. Not too concerned about this change as FAR AS NOT KEEPING THE CAR ORIGINAL per say. I saved about 3-11k and some travel distance by choosing the Shelby over the few available at the time with the track pack stuff. I trust the young fellow to do a nice job and it will be 75 CAD per rim. I am currently on a waiting list for Nitto G2s and figured when I park the car on 1 Oct approx then I can have the tires and sensors removed and bring them to him and then don the front 19s. I like the quality of the OEM finish especially on the inside portion where the stick on weights go so it will be done both sides. Colour is maybe a bit Darker than the Brembos I did, can't find any pics of the deep cherry sorry. Edit, yeah that Brembos pic is no where close but the Deep cherry looks like the attached pic of the car in the Dark even in Daylight so would pop nice at dark.Thoughts. Danny

Attachments

• 20170813_204757.jpg
    20170813_204757.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 141
  • garage_vehicle-4644-14599696321_thumb.jpg
    garage_vehicle-4644-14599696321_thumb.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 127

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
Are you planning to powdercoat the entire wheel red? If so that might be too much, red is a strong color and best as an accent on something like rims.

Snoopy49

Established Member
Make sure the paint is UV tolerant. A lot of the powder coatings do not play well with the sun.
A gloss black wheel with Ruby Red pin striping would look nice.

CWO AMMO-TECH

Established Member
Sorry Black Beauty thought i hit post on reply yesterday but.......Thats what I was Thinking Painting Both Inner and Outer as the Red would Likely not match the Inside Grey Paint. I think with the Black calipers and Rotors it would look good unless I do the Inside White or Black will have to ask my Freinds Son.

CWO AMMO-TECH

Established Member
Ok snoopy I will run that past him even though when car is not driven it's in the Car She'd. I was contemplating Gloss Black and will look into best method to stripe maybe before the clear as he does that however the baking might affect that and could ruin everything. Danny

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
I agree w/ Snoopy on the gloss black w/ red pinstripe. I had my Alcoas done this way and it really made the wheels pop especially since I had them on a Black Shelby.

CWO AMMO-TECH

Established Member
Getting the third party hosting msg on your pic, so does that mean I am hostage for viewing people's pics thought it was just me that could no longer upload since they held me hostage but that's another subject. I took another look at my Rims and there is no full outer surface to entertain full stripe since the spokes blend in right to the edge as they come to a point. Will upload a pic when I get a chance. I will put my thinking cap on. Danny

CWO AMMO-TECH

Established Member
Took a while but got Rims Done, two step powder coating, was labour intensive job completed by a young fellow that does it as a hobby. He has a nice oven set up. I am still waiting on last Rim as it had to be redone. Cherry Illusion with Clear coat that has flake in it. Close match to the car with effects from Dark Cherry to bright red depending on light conditions. Once car is off stands I'll roll it down the Ramp for a Picture, so updated my thread.
20181109_182945.jpg
20181109_174154.jpg
20181109_173541.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread