Power Loss (electrical short?) after fuel injector change.

Stang_456

Established Member
I changed my fuel injectors , turned the accessories on... everything seemed to be working fine.
So I attempt to start the car.. twisted the key, heard a click, the lights turn off.. No more power. Fuel pump won't prime and the starter wont even click.

Could a relay have gone bad? a Fuse?
Car started prior to the injector change.

Kline12

Bagged and Terminated.
Established Member
Sounds like your battery ground terminal is loose. Turn the key to the on position, wiggle the black terminal and see if you hear any of the accessories come on.

Stang_456

Established Member
When i'm in the car sometimes, it acts like it gets full connection and powers on until i try to turn over the car again.
I will test for loose and dirty grounds.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
Look around real careful to see what you may have accidentally disturbed. Many's the time I work on a car and inadvertently knock off a connector or vacuum line.

Stang_456

Established Member
The battery is charged at 12.6v measured at the terminals and at the wires. Even freshened up some grounds while i was at it. Still no power. No accessories, no starter solenoid click when turning the key .
Fusible link ? Does it just short out randomly due to age ?

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Check your ground wires. Starter should have a ground cable to the engine block, and the block will have a ground cable to the chassis. It definitely sounds like something is loose.

You can always check your fuse box, too.

Stang_456

Established Member
Strange what a battery cable that isnt completely seated will do.
The negative connector was touching but needed to be bent back into shape to make 100% contact. Apparently 70% contact doesn't cut it.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
The starter draws a ton of current. It really needs a solid contact to work. Glad it was an easy fix.

Users who are viewing this thread