Power steering cut out at WOT

Builtsn95

Established Member
OK, another issue, the power steering cutout (for maybe 30 secs), then fine after that...happened twice. Then drove 100 miles highway with no issues. Scary as hell. This car is driving me nuts.

Builtsn95

Established Member
No whining, squealing noises, nothing. Fluid checks out. I assume pump is fine. Maybe replace just in case ?

CzchMex

Established Member
How do you know it went out at WOT? Not often do I find myself turning a lot and needing my power steering when at WOT. (Maybe on a circuit track - but even then your speed should allow for no need of power steering)

There could have been air somewhere in there, that caused a temporary loss of power steering. Or the belt slipped and you couldn't tell that happened.

Did it only happen once?

Builtsn95

Established Member
I think I know what it is.....I must've been braking right after WOT. I think it's the hydro-boost, pulling from the power steering. Happened twice right at about the same moment. Lost it for a only a few secs.

CzchMex

Established Member
The power steering isn't powered by vacuum. It's belt driven. So I don't see how that could be it either. Have you checked your tensioner to see if the belt is being given enough tension? If the belt slipped then you would feel that loss. Oil on the belt can do that too.

Users who are viewing this thread