Power Steering Issue

SlipperySnake

Established Member
So being very anxious to get my car together I put it together with the power steering pump but didn't hook up any of the lines. So long story short the pump froze and I sheered the shaft right off lol. I got a new pump and hook up the lines and all. Fill it and worked great for about 5m with fluid churning up in the reservoir and everything. Then I get back in the car and realized the power assist was gone. So I inspected and found that the rack seals were bad. I got a new steering rack and installed it with no more leaks, but can't get power steering at idle. If I rev it up in the 3000rpm range I begin to feel some assist. I put the front end in the air and turned the wheel about 30+ times. Even while doing this I can't even see any bubbles coming up to the top of the fluid level in the reservoir. At idle there isn't even any fluid being stirred up inside the reservoir. This is a modded system with -AN SS lines and PTFE SS braided hoses. Everything is routed correctly as well. Do I need to drain the fluid and refill or is there a way someone who has more experience with this can recommend a procedure for getting air out in a more professional fashion? Do you think the brand new pump is bad? Thank you all in advanced for any help.

3xBlackCobra

Established Member
Per ford you're supposed to lift the front in the air and purge the lines before your first startup. You should do this by cranking the starter motor (without actually cranking engine) for about 15sec while you turn the wheel to full left and right lock (no more than 3sec in either direction). Do this for about 30-45 turns while someone continues to fill the reservoir, since it will likely lower when air is purged.

I've also heard of some synthetic fluids giving people issues. Maybe try draining the lines and starting over with a ford recommended fluid?

3xBlackCobra

Established Member
let the starter motor rest before you crank it another 15sec. I would of course try to minimize the amount of times you have to crank it in total

Also, I'm assuming by your symptoms that your belt is tight but it never hurts to check. Good kuch

hotcobra03

Established Member
brake system is also in line..hydrobooster..you may need to pump brake pedal..

I have had bad pumps straight out of box..
took 3 on my buddy' truck before a good 1..

1st howled
2nd no pressure
3rd was fine..

did the same.jack up and turn stop to stop a few times

keith89

Established Member
Any chance you still have your old rack laying around? I'm looking for a used rack to depower for manual steering.

SlipperySnake

Established Member
Per ford you're supposed to lift the front in the air and purge the lines before your first startup. You should do this by cranking the starter motor (without actually cranking engine) for about 15sec while you turn the wheel to full left and right lock (no more than 3sec in either direction). Do this for about 30-45 turns while someone continues to fill the reservoir, since it will likely lower when air is purged.

I've also heard of some synthetic fluids giving people issues. Maybe try draining the lines and starting over with a ford recommended fluid?

I'm using the ATF DEX MERC lll like suggested. I'll probably try draining the fluid and doing this Ford procedure before going and returning this pump for a new one. I also pumped the brakes like another member suggested. I'm thinking the pump could be bad or maybe the relief valve for over pressuring is stuck open in the pump. Either way I'll figure it out. I appreciate all of you.

SlipperySnake

Established Member
brake system is also in line..hydrobooster..you may need to pump brake pedal..

I have had bad pumps straight out of box..
took 3 on my buddy' truck before a good 1..

1st howled
2nd no pressure
3rd was fine..

did the same.jack up and turn stop to stop a few times
No shit? That makes me feel better. I guess that would make sense especially since it's from O'reilly lol.

Users who are viewing this thread