Preventing Swirls

Chino11

Established Member
I'm curious what the normal guy without all the buffers and tools does to prevent swirls. Is there a certain way to wash and dry? Certain washes and waxes or detailers?
I don't have the luxury of bringing tools as I don't have a garage to do it in. I go home a few times a year and have a garage at that point to work in. But I'm not gonna only clean my car a few times a year and let the dirt and road grime build up, of course I'm sure that's very bad too.

NastyGT500

Naples Premier Detailer!
Established Member
Proper washing and drying techniques will go a very long way in preventing any swirling/scratching and marring of your paint's surface.

There are a ton of videos on the 'correct' way to do this. Check out Adam's Polishes website and AMMO NYC to see some good videos.

I will see if I can dig some up and embed them here for you.

Hope this helps ya!

Chino11

Established Member
Proper washing and drying techniques will go a very long way in preventing any swirling/scratching and marring of your paint's surface.

There are a ton of videos on the 'correct' way to do this. Check out Adam's Polishes website and AMMO NYC to see some good videos.

I will see if I can dig some up and embed them here for you.

Hope this helps ya!
Thank you for the point in the right direction. I'll look through those. I'm just paranoid and would like to prevent anything that can be avoided.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Double Bucket wash
High Quality Micro Fiber wash mit

When washing, move wash mit up and down or side to side. Do not wash in a circular motion.

Do not wash rocker panels, rear bumper or low areas of the vehicle, and bring wash mit up to higher areas. Sand and grit from lower areas will micro mar and swirl the paint. (majority of dirt, and debris will be on the lower half of the vehicle)

Dry with a leaf blower

STXDriver98544

Bass Assassin
Established Member
I recommend subscribing to this guy his channel has a wealth of information, here is a 5 part series on how to properly wash your vehicle, I'm a beginner to proper paint care also and I learned so much from him.

Blown 89

Established Member
Three bucket method. One for the wheels which you wash first. Then wet the car as to avoid drying water which leaves minerals and wash with one bucket while rinsing the mitt in another. When you wash do so lightly from top to bottom and squeeze the soap out on to the car so the lubrication is between the paint and your mitt rather than trapped inside the mitt. Wash from top to bottom and less duty areas to dirtier. Remember that brake dust is made up of metal shavings so do those areas last.

Blot dry rather than wipe or use a blower. Use microfiber towels not old bath towels. Don't let the water dry (wash immediately after setting or soaking, not in direct sunlight, on cool paint). Wash regularly and avoid car washes.

Users who are viewing this thread