Project Venomous

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Well, as you all know I picked up another Mustang.

I already have an 02 GT Vert that is in pieces in the garage for a build that has snowballed. I have been keeping my eye out for a running car that I could slowly build. I was looking out for a 63-65 Falcon 2 door, Fox Notch, or a 96-98 Cobra. I did not want to pay a whole lot and wanted a clean title car. I missed on a few Falcons and ended up bringing this home on Halloween.

IMG_6072_zps1ef2b2af.jpg

The car needs love. It was backed into by a truck in a parking lot. As far as I have been able to see, there is no damage to the radiator core support or the frame. It needs a new hood, bumper and passenger fender.

IMG_6069_zps7181ca52.jpg
IMG_6070_zpsbb631a00.jpg

At one point the car was repainted from the factory Crystal White to a Hyper White and the stripes were added. Once I get the hood, bumper, and fender it will be sent to my body and paint guy and resprayed in the Crystal White.

IMG_6073_zps2c7fbcf0.jpg
IMG_6074_zps7036e819.jpg

Deceptive

Established Member
Premium Member
The interior needs just as much love as the outside.

IMG_6079_zps6497cfdf.jpg
IMG_6081_zpsb36c2a76.jpg
IMG_6082_zps60a5cb2d.jpg

The car is, for the most part, bone stock. It only has a drop in K&N and welded in Flowmasters.

IMG_6083_zps7545fc03.jpg

This snake really has no bite right now. That is all going to change. I got a good deal on it. I paid about what people were asking for Cobras with no motors, blown motors, or salvage titles.

I plan to restore this snake to its former glory and give it one hell of a bite.

I was going to C Swap my GT and had a good deal of parts to do that. Well, all that stuff will end up on the Cobra and the GT will stay 2V. Since I picked this up, my plan is to go wild with this and tone down the GT build.

Prototype007

Established Member
I love the look of a crystal white SN95 when done white. The black interior is a major plus in my eyes.

GRUSE

Established Member
Congratulations,nice score.Plenty of potential there. Are you going to stay NA with the C head swap?

Deceptive

Established Member
Premium Member
I love the look of a crystal white SN95 when done white. The black interior is a major plus in my eyes.

I am going to disappoint you then; I am swapping in the Dark Charcoal Interior from a 99+. My plan is to do the Double Din Dash setup, I am not painting the interior. I am swapping it all. I am even going to do Cobra correct airbags. I am ditching the rear seat for a KDesigns delete; fronts will probably be Corbeau CR1s. I plan on doing Dark Charcoal Leather and Black Suede.

Congratulations,nice score.Plenty of potential there. Are you going to stay NA with the C head swap?

It will be boosted.

Last edited:

Prototype007

Established Member
I am going to disappoint you then; I am swapping in the Dark Charcoal Interior from a 99+. My plan is to do the Double Din Dash setup, I am not painting the interior. I am swapping it all. I am even going to do Cobra correct airbags. I am ditching the rear seat for a KDesigns delete; fronts will probably be Corbeau CR1s. I plan on doing Dark Charcoal Leather and Black Suede.

Not at all. Any form of a darkish color interior would still look good.

I just hate brown/tan interior or blunt two tone stuff.

Deceptive

Established Member
Premium Member
I thought I would like black interior, I even thought of switching to black in my convertible. After looking at it, I immediately changed my mind. I also like the slight differences in the interior from my 02 GT Vert over what is in the Cobra.

My first new vehicle was a 96 Ranger. When I was at the lot waiting for them to finish the delivery prep, I checked out a Cobra they had on the lot. At that time, I was not much of a Mustang fan. It is not that I did not like them, I just was in love with trucks and SUVs. My first vehicle I wanted was a 78 Bronco with a lift kit, 33s, and a 351 modified. Thing got 8mpg and could roll over almost anything. Fast forward to picking up the Ranger and checking out the Cobra, I fell in love. Then I saw the Super Stallion and new one day I wanted a SN95 4V.

Maybe I do not dream big enough, maybe I am a realistic person, but I have a car I have dreamed of and it is an odd feeling. I had all these bucket list cars and they really do not matter now that I have the GT and Cobra in my possession.

I am certain that I will annoy you guys with questions as I go forward. Essentially, when I am done I will have just paid for a Cobra VIN and a clear title.

Deceptive

Established Member
Premium Member
Took advantage of some Black Friday Sales from LMR and AM. I ordered a few things for the car. Hopefully, the weather will be nice next weekedn and I can get my fuel pump and filter changed; which will hopefully allow the car to run.

Deceptive

Established Member
Premium Member
[video]http://vid1009.photobucket.com/albums/af212/jlittle523/Mobile%20Uploads/trim.2C981743-E968-4549-9785-179E098CA6EF_zpsduemtaff.mp4[/video]

It's alive! Installed a HFP 320lph Fuel Pump and Motorcraft Filter. The Cobra is once again running. Seemed alot smoother and now check engine light yet for a misfire code or stuck IRMCs. I doubt the pump or filter would have caused that. But, I have seen funnier things. The engine is the untouched, original factory engine with over 204,000 miles. The odometer stopped working and the previous owner is unsure of the correct mileage.

Next project for this is to do a clutch and flywheel change. There is a newer Zoom clutch in the car but the person that changed it put a factory cable in there. I have a new Spec Stage 1 Clutch and going to order a new Spec Aluminum Flywheel and either a MM or Steeda Cable/Adjuster setup. I am going to take it to McVey Performance to have them do the change for me just incase the Pilot Bearing decides to be a prick like it was in my GT. While it is there, I am going to have them do my COP Conversion, install a new Radiator (probably Fluidyne or SVE) unit and change the transmission and rear end fluid. I will also have a compression test done to see where the engine is at.

I know this may sound or seem stupid but, I am going to have them dyno the car before the changes and after.

After that I plan on bringing it home and ordering my K Member, doing the install on it, my suspension components, and I have MAC Ceramic LTs, BBK Catted X (emissions), MAC Pro Chamber (to use regularly), and Borla XR1s for the exhaust upgrade. The LTs are for the C Heads that I will eventually swap on but will put them on the B Heads.

I will again, take it back to have dyno'd and tuned this time. Depending on the resluts of the Compression test, I may have them install my Vortech V1 Si and run low boost until my engine is built.

arayray

Established Member
[video]http://vid1009.photobucket.com/albums/af212/jlittle523/Mobile%20Uploads/trim.2C981743-E968-4549-9785-179E098CA6EF_zpsduemtaff.mp4[/video]

It's alive! Installed a HFP 320lph Fuel Pump and Motorcraft Filter. The Cobra is once again running. Seemed alot smoother and now check engine light yet for a misfire code or stuck IRMCs. I doubt the pump or filter would have caused that. But, I have seen funnier things. The engine is the untouched, original factory engine with over 204,000 miles. The odometer stopped working and the previous owner is unsure of the correct mileage.

Next project for this is to do a clutch and flywheel change. There is a newer Zoom clutch in the car but the person that changed it put a factory cable in there. I have a new Spec Stage 1 Clutch and going to order a new Spec Aluminum Flywheel and either a MM or Steeda Cable/Adjuster setup. I am going to take it to McVey Performance to have them do the change for me just incase the Pilot Bearing decides to be a prick like it was in my GT. While it is there, I am going to have them do my COP Conversion, install a new Radiator (probably Fluidyne or SVE) unit and change the transmission and rear end fluid. I will also have a compression test done to see where the engine is at.

I know this may sound or seem stupid but, I am going to have them dyno the car before the changes and after.

After that I plan on bringing it home and ordering my K Member, doing the install on it, my suspension components, and I have MAC Ceramic LTs, BBK Catted X (emissions), MAC Pro Chamber (to use regularly), and Borla XR1s for the exhaust upgrade. The LTs are for the C Heads that I will eventually swap on but will put them on the B Heads.

I will again, take it back to have dyno'd and tuned this time. Depending on the resluts of the Compression test, I may have them install my Vortech V1 Si and run low boost until my engine is built.

Nice video, I installed the same pump as well. I wanted to point one thing out, the pro chamber unless it is specifically for 96-98 cobra won't fit. I went to install one on my car and it would not fit so I had to get a BBK X pipe.

Deceptive

Established Member
Premium Member
Nice video, I installed the same pump as well. I wanted to point one thing out, the pro chamber unless it is specifically for 96-98 cobra won't fit. I went to install one on my car and it would not fit so I had to get a BBK X pipe.

Why did the Prochamber not fit?

The engine is really smooth and quiet. I hope the compression test goes well.

arayray

Established Member
Why did the Prochamber not fit?

The engine is really smooth and quiet. I hope the compression test goes well.

The trans mount was in the way. I'm not sure if they make one specifically for the 96-98 but the one I got (i believe it was for a 99-04 gt/cobra) did not fit.

Deceptive

Established Member
Premium Member
The trans mount was in the way. I'm not sure if they make one specifically for the 96-98 but the one I got (i believe it was for a 99-04 gt/cobra) did not fit.

Well damn! Maybe it will work once the T56 Magnum is in place. If not, I don't have to buy a second one. My GT will be MAC LTs, Prochamber, and Stingers.

Deceptive

Established Member
Premium Member
Well, found an issue today. I have an oil leak and I think it may be from my timing cover. I may just amass parts and look at having at the very least the bottom end built. I may get my bottom end built and find some C Heads from a Continental until I get my 03 Cobra Heads P&P and blower cam setup finished. Kind of all depends on money.

Prototype007

Established Member
Don't blame you on wanting to do two Dyno sessions. Just shows where you've come from and where you stand.

Deceptive

Established Member
Premium Member
The Christmas Sales have been good to the Cobra. So, what did I pick up? Well, let us take a look.

SE Drift Wheels in staggered 18" form, this will be the street setup. I do plan on a Drag Setup down the road. My wife picked these out for the car.
IMG_6144_zps5f4845d2.jpg

This will help stiffen the car up and work with the PA Racing K Member. It is the Stiffler's K Brace for tubular K Members.
View attachment 32450

Last edited:

Boomer8404

SVTP & SVTOA Member
Established Member
Man you wife is awesome, helping you pick out some good stuff for your Cobra. I'm looking forward to more posts on your project!

Deceptive

Established Member
Premium Member
With its age and mileage, the factory suspension is quite tired. It needs to handle well as I love back roads. How about H&R Springs, Koni Yellow Shocks & Struts, J&M Upper and Lower Control Arms, and J&M CC Plates.
IMG_6153_zps4f31c8b9.jpg

Got C Heads? Yep, Heads off a Cobra Crate Engine. Never been ran and they are 03+ heads.
IMG_6166_zpsa0346635.jpg

Last edited:

Deceptive

Established Member
Premium Member
Some miscellaneous stuff, NGK Plugs, COP Conversion, COP Covers, and Bullitt Pedals. The COP Covers, along with many other things under the hood, will be powder coated.
IMG_6156_zps1b89f0f9.jpg

And you have to have a badass shift knob to grab when you are banging gears. I am going to do a T56 Magnum setup in the car with this gem to grab onto.
IMG_6159_zpsc4b979b3.jpg

More to come as I am collecting parts for my Dark Charcoal Interior swap.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread