Psa

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
  • You don't have a right so see the RADAR/LIDAR instrument
  • Going with the flow of traffic doesn't make it legal
  • Cops don't need your permission to search you or your vehicle if PC is present
  • Cops don't need a warrant if PC is present
  • If a cop stops you for violating the law, you are NOT being harassed
  • If the aftermarket equipment you just installed has the words "For Off-road Use Only", don't complain if you get stopped/cited for it
  • A friend's brother's cousin usually doesn't know what he/she is talking about
  • Most of us didn't get beat up in high school
  • Many of us have college degrees
  • Politeness & honesty go a long ways when dealing with cops
  • The side of the road is not a place to debate the merits of a traffic stop

I'm sure there are many more LE Roadside Proverbs out there. Feel free to add to the list.

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member
Okay so what you're confirming here is that the LEO has to be stopped and cannot use radar while moving in their vehicle? I knew it!

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
- Being in the left lane passing everybody else does not constitute "going with the flow of traffic".
- Do not pat your pockets down and say you left your license at home when you know your license is suspended.
- Two pitchers of beer at the bar does not mean you only had "two beers".
- Don't ask "why did you stop me?". I will tell you when you need to know.
- Watching COPS on TV does not make you an expert on criminal laws.
- No I will not cut my spotlight off so it doesn't blind you at night.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
-The people who NEED to read this will not. Even if it was a sticky. :shrug:

LT. :beer:

txyaloo

Established Member
It is my understanding two beers is the correct legal answer since only the first and the last beer are the only ones that count.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
  • You don't have a right so see the RADAR/LIDAR instrument
  • Going with the flow of traffic doesn't make it legal
  • Cops don't need your permission to search you or your vehicle if PC is present
  • Cops don't need a warrant if PC is present
  • If a cop stops you for violating the law, you are NOT being harassed
  • If the aftermarket equipment you just installed has the words "For Off-road Use Only", don't complain if you get stopped/cited for it
  • A friend's brother's cousin usually doesn't know what he/she is talking about
  • Most of us didn't get beat up in high school
  • Many of us have college degrees
  • Politeness & honesty go a long ways when dealing with cops
  • The side of the road is not a place to debate the merits of a traffic stop

I'm sure there are many more LE Roadside Proverbs out there. Feel free to add to the list.

This is a perfect PSA. Now it is a forum sticky.

silver03svt

Established Member
  • You're not being cited to satisfy the officer's "quota". You're being cited because of your conduct.

Yes, we don't have quotas. They let me write as many tickets and make as many arrests as I want to now.

Last edited:

VenomRogue

Focus > Mustang
Established Member
Not considered impeding if your staying at the posted limit. :read:

Right. Tell that to my buddy that got an impeding ticket for going 60 mph in a 55mph construction zone when everyone else was going 70+.

It probably didn't help that he smarted off to the cop the entire time he was pulled over, though

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Not considered impeding if your staying at the posted limit. :read:
actually this kinda depends. I actually had a long chat with a Virginia LEO while waiting for court in Fairfax county.

I just had an argument with my brother about his driving. His attitude was "if I am going the speed limit in the left lane of a four lane highway I am not impeding traffic and those stacked up behind me can just wait" I also hate it when people don't drive at least the speed limit and don't understand why more of those idiots don't get tickets.

The officer agreed that my brother could be cited for impeding traffic even going the speed limit, and those that don't keep to the speed limit could be cited. he then said "I would love to write those tickets, but if I did I would be laughed out of court"

California had a law (don't know if it is still in effect or not) that if you had more than 5 cars stacked up behind you, you could be cited for impeding traffic regardless of the speed you are going.

silver03svt

Established Member
actually this kinda depends. I actually had a long chat with a Virginia LEO while waiting for court in Fairfax county.

I just had an argument with my brother about his driving. His attitude was "if I am going the speed limit in the left lane of a four lane highway I am not impeding traffic and those stacked up behind me can just wait" I also hate it when people don't drive at least the speed limit and don't understand why more of those idiots don't get tickets.

The officer agreed that my brother could be cited for impeding traffic even going the speed limit, and those that don't keep to the speed limit could be cited. he then said "I would love to write those tickets, but if I did I would be laughed out of court"

California had a law (don't know if it is still in effect or not) that if you had more than 5 cars stacked up behind you, you could be cited for impeding traffic regardless of the speed you are going.

I've written more than a handful of impeding tickets on I-95 for people going under the speed limit, but by VA law, impeding can't be charged for doing the speed limit. As for those going slow in the hammer lane, I can charge for failing to drive as far to the right of the roadway under 46.2-804, Code of VA, or fail to obey a highway sign (slower traffic keep right) under 46.2-830. Writing impeding for doing the speed limit would get us laughed out of court.

Users who are viewing this thread