Question on 8.8 traction lock differential and lubrication

FIREBALL

Established Member
Is the Cobra factory 8.8 traction lock the same old traction lock that were in alot of other Ford suvs and trucks or is it an upgraded version for better performance? When using all synthetic gear oil (like Royal Purple) should you use friction modifier.?----from what i read some say yes and some say no because it causes too much slip.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
If you are running a ford limited slip diff, use ford friction modifier with any of the gear oil you choose.
If you have over 50k miles on the LSD and you notice it not grabbing like it use to its a good idea to replace the lsd plates.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Check the gear oil. I know Royal Purple already has friction modifier in it already. No need to add more at that point.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

FIREBALL

Established Member
I know RP says it has friction modifier in it and I have read that any all synthetic gear oil (like mobile 1) doesnt need friction modifier, but just need to know what is the correct way to go with this. My traction lock only has 9k miles on it but Im going to change the gears and need to know if it needs friction modifier with all synthetic gear oil and if the friction modifier will cause too much slippage in a low miles traction lock.? Also are our traction locks different than the ones that came in other fords like the suvs and trucks?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
As I said, if the oil has modifier in it you don't need to add more. I've ran RP in the past without extra modifier. All the modifier does is make things slip a little more to keep it quiet.

I'm sure there's small difference between the diffs as far as the amount of clutches and amount of pressure, but the basics of operation are the same.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

FIREBALL

Established Member
From what I been reading on other sites the traction lock differential on SVT Cobras came with a heavey duty spring and carbon fiber clutch pack that the regular traction locks didnt come with. I guess I will try running without the friction modifier and if there is too much noise or chatter then I will add the modifier.

omj

Established Member
03/04 had the carbon fiber clutches. I always ran friction modifier and had no problems.

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
I ran mobile 1 on my old ranger and the diff made noise, added friction modifier and it went away. I have a cobra lsd in my different ranger now and am using friction modifier and no issues but only have a couple hundred miles on it. its a pissed off little 302 powering the ranger

Users who are viewing this thread