Question on OKLAHOMA ticket issue.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
So yesterday I get a collection notice in the mail from a company in OK. Says they are collecting on behalf of KAY county to the tune of 245 and some change. I had no idea what they were talking about so I got up this morning and put in a call to the county clerk. Turns out it was from 2002. I kind of remember the ticket and I am certain I paid it since at the time I was going through OK fairly often so I would not have wanted it on my record. Called the credit union to see if I could get a copy of my bank statement and of course they have nothing from back that far according to them.

so the question is, do I have any recourse the complies with OK state law? I really don't want to pay this damn thing twice but my bet is that is what I am going to have to do, Since hiring a lawyer is probably going to cost twice what the ticket is.

Hlistr_07RR

Angel's Daddy
Established Member
Why the hell would they wait until now to turn it into collections. Doesn't make sense. I've heard of scams before that are like this. If you made the call to the actual place you got the ticket though and they're saying they never received the payment then it's probably legit.

debit_free_2010

Established Member
It's not a scam, Oklahoma has started collecting on old court costs, same as a lot of other states have. It's a simple revenue generator for them.

The internet makes it much easier for the man to find you, 4/5 years ago one of the guys I work with got a similar letter from a county Tennessee, for a nearly 20 year old ticket. They told him the only thing that would happen if he didn't pay it was a bench warrant would be issued and if he got stopped driving in Tennessee he would be arrested.

He paid it just to get them off his back.

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
I believe the statute of limitations on that has run out . If it violates the constitutional muster , screw them.
These states have gotten them selves so far in debt, they look for any way to generate revenue .
Stupid Oregon, Truly the worst state , has a 62 billion dollar debit to the public employees , and another 1.6 billion budget shortfall, they are scrambling to find money .
Probably the same there .
Make your credit union find the payment record, or just pay (so etching I would NOT DO ) , take your pick .

Users who are viewing this thread