Quick Catch Can Question

kdaly

Established Member
I only bought one, car has a Vortech V3 on it. What side of the motor do you place the catch can on?

lshin037

Established Member
I have had one for each side for about 2 years. I empty them every other month. The passenger side gets about 2 tablespoons. I don't even get drops from my drivers side one.

helloWorld

Established Member
You don't need to catch anything from the driver's side. The passenger side is the culprit for oil into the intake.

krhonn

Established Member
You're welcome, that's how I have mine set up. Most claim nothing comes out of the driver side but some claim some does. So to be safe I just did the tee off tactic. I have the MMR can and it's mounted on the firewall.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Russo

Unofficial Glass Tech
Established Member
UPR's dual side cans usually run a clean side separator on the drivers side with a line that connects to one can on the passenger side.. that way you dont have two cans to empty

basspro302

Established Member
The driver side is a fresh air vent. The passenger side pulls a vacuum and the fresh air vent let's the fumes flow. It's not needed on the driver side.

fuelforfire87

Established Member
I've been running the JPC breathers on both sides with the procharger and don't have any issues. I know procharger tells you to cap the passenger side valve cover but I don't really understand why. Even my tuner, Lund, questioned it. First I tried running a UPR catch can (the original design) on the drivers side, hardly collected anything. Switched to Bob's catch can, same result, no liquid, just a slight residue on the bottom of the can. Then I tried UPR's catch can specifically designed for prochargers. No blow by was caught with this can either. That's when I decided to say F*ck it and go breathers. Maybe its because I don't drive my car enough but I was running the UPR procharger catch can while doing 3 back to back dyno pulls and still now measurable oil was collected. The only time I noticed the cans collecting oil was when the temperature was low, like below 50 degrees. And even then it was more water than oil. Maybe my engine is just different in some way. Before I was boosted I was running a JLT catch can on the Passenger side and it collected a decent amount of blow by.

imeyers302

Established Member
I've been running the JPC breathers on both sides with the procharger and don't have any issues. I know procharger tells you to cap the passenger side valve cover but I don't really understand why. Even my tuner, Lund, questioned it. First I tried running a UPR catch can (the original design) on the drivers side, hardly collected anything. Switched to Bob's catch can, same result, no liquid, just a slight residue on the bottom of the can. Then I tried UPR's catch can specifically designed for prochargers. No blow by was caught with this can either. That's when I decided to say F*ck it and go breathers. Maybe its because I don't drive my car enough but I was running the UPR procharger catch can while doing 3 back to back dyno pulls and still now measurable oil was collected. The only time I noticed the cans collecting oil was when the temperature was low, like below 50 degrees. And even then it was more water than oil. Maybe my engine is just different in some way. Before I was boosted I was running a JLT catch can on the Passenger side and it collected a decent amount of blow by.

Isn't it a good thing that minimal oil was in the cans? That means there was barely any blow by, and isn't that the whole point? I may be wrong. When I was n/a the bobs can on the passenger side caught a decent amount. About to pull it for the first time since installing the procharger and switching it to the drivers side. Have to imagine they have a reason for capping it off but once again I am not sure why they do it either.

fuelforfire87

Established Member
Yes i suppose it is a good thing that there was hardly any blow by, either that or none of the cans I used were doing a good job filtering the oil. I guess I was just expecting to collect more blow by as a lot of people claim there is a lot on the drivers side when boosted. I'm also running a thicker oil (5w-30) so maybe that has something to do with it. I've heard that you get more blow by with thinner oil.

TheBorkinator

Established Member
Hope I'm not taking this too far off topic but it sort of relates to my question. I have a Paxton car with breathers on both sides. Passenger side I never see anything but the driver side has a good amount of oil spray out of the breather. Every few weeks I'll go and wipe oil off my valve cover. Is that a problem?

krhonn

Established Member
Hope I'm not taking this too far off topic but it sort of relates to my question. I have a Paxton car with breathers on both sides. Passenger side I never see anything but the driver side has a good amount of oil spray out of the breather. Every few weeks I'll go and wipe oil off my valve cover. Is that a problem?

Seems to be hit and miss from what I've read on the amount of oil you receive. I personally have not found any oil in my can since install(about 2500 miles). Both passenger and driver side run to a single can on my set up.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread