Racing schools for fun?

2000gt4.6

Established Member
Has anyone ever gone to one of the week or so long racing schools? I'd like to take my father to one of these. Not looking for anything super serious, more for fun but also to learn a thing or two. Anyone have any experience?

josephcostello

Established Member
I went to a 3 day thing and it was super fun, autocross and then went on a track. Learned a lot about my car and its limits. Def feel like a better driver on the street

MFE

Established Member
I've been to Bondurant, Skip Barber, Jim Russell, and Derek Daly, but never on my own dime :D

Truth be told, 97% of the participants in those kind of racing schools are there doing exactly what you're talking about. It's a good time in somebody else's race cars and if you pay attention, you come away learning a lot more than you knew going in. If you can swing the dough, there's worse things to do with it. Stick with something called a "school" and not an "experience" if you really want to come away with actual skill.

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
Consider starting with a HPDE that offers instructors to ride along with you. Often you will get 5-7 twenty minute track sessions where you can gradually improve your skills and get used to how YOUR car truly feels and performs at speed in a controlled environment. HPDE days can be as affordable as $160. The 2-3 day and longer schools are great I'm sure but cost significantly more. I would love to attend one someday, but right now I'm more concerned with getting my car track ready - and once it is ready I want to run it rather than someone else's car.

Blown 89

Established Member
If you can find a school that puts you in some karts for a day I highly recommend it. It will be the most exhilarating machines they can possibly put you in.

2000gt4.6

Established Member
I went to a 3 day thing and it was super fun, autocross and then went on a track. Learned a lot about my car and its limits. Def feel like a better driver on the street

Which one did you go to?

I've been to Bondurant, Skip Barber, Jim Russell, and Derek Daly, but never on my own dime :D

Truth be told, 97% of the participants in those kind of racing schools are there doing exactly what you're talking about. It's a good time in somebody else's race cars and if you pay attention, you come away learning a lot more than you knew going in. If you can swing the dough, there's worse things to do with it. Stick with something called a "school" and not an "experience" if you really want to come away with actual skill.

Did you have a favorite?

Coiled03

Established Member
Went to Jim Russell at Laguna Seca back when it was still there. Good times. Would go again.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I had my first track experience last week. I took the new Startling Line class put on by the SCCA. It was a great class and I felt very confident afterward. After the class I took part in the Track Night in America at Heartland Park; it was a blast. I've since signed up for another Track Night plus a NASA weekend event. Can't wait.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I had my first track experience last week. I took the new Startling Line class put on by the SCCA. It was a great class and I felt very confident afterward. After the class I took part in the Track Night in America at Heartland Park; it was a blast. I've since signed up for another Track Night plus a NASA weekend event. Can't wait.
This is a mild concern for the OP, it's one of the most addicting things you can do.

My first time on track was at the ST octane academy 2 years ago, and I've done 12-14 track days since then and spent a lot of money in the process lol. I'm actually hopping on a plane tonight to go to the RS adrenaline academy.

The "free" Ford schools are only a day, but the ST school I went to was still one of the best days I've ever had. I imagine a full week or a 3 day would be even better.

MFE

Established Member
Which one did you go to?

Did you have a favorite?

I liked Bondurant the best, for one simple reason: They're the only one I've been to that uses a Skid Car, which has an extra set of wheels on hydraulic-actuated outriggers. By taking weight off the front end, they can simulate understeer. Take it off the back end, they can simulate oversteer. Take it off both ends, it's like driving on ice. You navigate a figure-8 pattern in a big lot while they put you through different scenarios.

And here's the magic: The car responds exactly as it would as if the condition were occurring at higher speeds. Understeering? Let off the gas to shift weight forward, take steering out of it to get traction back on the front wheels. Boom, it tucks in. Oversteering? Steer into it, give it a little gas to get weight to the back, boom, it behaves. You learn the proper response and the muscle memory and you know what to do when it happens to you at 90 mph but you've learned it at 20 mph.

Bondurant also has in-car instruction, whereas (at the time), Skip Barber and Derek Daly relied on spotters with radios and an instructor would relay their input to you after you pitted in. Not nearly as effective.

The Russell school I attended was an Advanced course so it's a little different. It also rained almost the whole time and I didn't want to be on the hook for damage repair, so I didn't push it very hard.

HEMIHUNTER

Established Member
What's a ballpark price on a three day?
Bondurant for example?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

cbj5259

Established Member
I did a 3 day school at the old Miller Motorsports Park (believe it's now Utah Motorsports Park). Ford racing school is there and that where I did mine. I did the one day school with the "Boss Track Attack" program and then paid for two additional days driving the FR500 with instructors. Was a great experience and really taught me a lot. Have since taken up HPDE days at my local track a few times a year. I highly recommend the Ford Racing School though.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread