Radial vs Bias Ply

ryan03svt

Established Member
I know this topic has been discussed before but does everyone with a manual agree that the Bias Ply is the way to go? I purchased used MT ET Streets last season on a 15" wheel and I'm just not sure if the tires were shot or what but I couldn't get off the line to save my life. My car makes mid 600s to the wheels on a single turbo setup. I'm launching off the two-step and just roasting the tires off every time no matter what I do with the tire pressure or RPM that I launch at. So I'm looking for a fresh set of tires for the 2018 drag season. I currently have 325/50/15 MT ET Streets. I see that the ET Street R's only come in 26 x 10.5R15, 28 x 11.5R15, 31 x 16.5R15, and 32 x 17.5-15 in the Bias-Ply. Which size do people here go with on a 15" wheel? Thanks for the help, looking to improve my 1/4 mile times this season. Also if anyone else has a turbo setup I'd love to hear your tire pressures and launching RPMs.

ryan03svt

Established Member
I guess my real question is, has anyone had issues running a Bias-Ply on the street? My mustang is mostly a weekend car and will drive to and from the track. Just looking for some input before I drop $500 on tires. If anyone has switched from radials to bias-ply on a manual car or vice versa please chime in. Thanks!

basspro302

Established Member
At the track bias ply all the way. Size depends on the gear ratio. You can fit 28x11.5.

I dont see why you shouldn’t be able to make radials work at the track. I would recommend an anti roll bar and some viking shocks.

I wouldn’t recommend driving around the street on bias plys but it can be done ive done it. Its not fun when it rains even a little bit.

Optimum track setup would be bias plys anti roll bar and vikings. I had my car loading the rear to fast launching causing the rear to unload and it would spin.

KEVINS

Established Member
The ET Streets suck. They look and feel like the ET Drags but don't hook anywhere near like them. I've never recommended them for customers.

If you want traction then get slicks.

ks

ryan03svt

Established Member
At the track bias ply all the way. Size depends on the gear ratio. You can fit 28x11.5.

I dont see why you shouldn’t be able to make radials work at the track. I would recommend an anti roll bar and some viking shocks.

I wouldn’t recommend driving around the street on bias plys but it can be done ive done it. Its not fun when it rains even a little bit.

Optimum track setup would be bias plys anti roll bar and vikings. I had my car loading the rear to fast launching causing the rear to unload and it would spin.

Since I'm a MT-82 car with a turbo I'm launching off the 2-step. If my research is correct, dumping the clutch at 4 or 5k RPMs with a DR would probably break some things. The bias-ply should help with the launch and not break as many things haha.

StalkerStang

Established Member
My 11 drives fine with matching bias front and rear on the street and track. My track is 30 miles away from my house, street, highway.... drives fine.

I don't make the power you do, but I'm a mt82 373 car.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Gruca

Established Member
I use 15x8 rear wheels with 28x10.5x15 bias ply Hoosier QTP slicks. I don’t have a 2 step yet, but my best 60’ is a 1.54. I know I can do better if I get a 2 step to keep the rpms constant. On the front I have 17” wheels with M&H bias ply tires. I’m running an MT-82 with a 3.31 rear gear. I trap in 4th gear.

The above setup is not what I drive around on though. I load these into the car on track day along with all the equipment. It all fits in the car with enough room for a front passenger.

So if you’re willing to change tires on track day, bias ply is the way to go.

ryan03svt

Established Member
I use 15x8 rear wheels with 28x10.5x15 bias ply Hoosier QTP slicks. I don’t have a 2 step yet, but my best 60’ is a 1.54. I know I can do better if I get a 2 step to keep the rpms constant. On the front I have 17” wheels with M&H bias ply tires. I’m running an MT-82 with a 3.31 rear gear. I trap in 4th gear.

The above setup is not what I drive around on though. I load these into the car on track day along with all the equipment. It all fits in the car with enough room for a front passenger.

So if you’re willing to change tires on track day, bias ply is the way to go.

Thanks for the input. I actually just got my QTPs in the mail today. I was looking to sell my last wheel setup but I guess if I want to drive on the road I should keep those as a spare set. I have 3.73s but I'm looking to swap those for 3.31s. I currently have a M&H skinny radial in the front. I'm interested to see how this setup feels going down the track. What was your best 1/4 mile and trap speed also what mods? Thanks!

Gruca

Established Member
Thanks for the input. I actually just got my QTPs in the mail today. I was looking to sell my last wheel setup but I guess if I want to drive on the road I should keep those as a spare set. I have 3.73s but I'm looking to swap those for 3.31s. I currently have a M&H skinny radial in the front. I'm interested to see how this setup feels going down the track. What was your best 1/4 mile and trap speed also what mods? Thanks!

I have a Paxton with a 3.33 pulley and a wastegate. My best run was with the wastegate set to 10psi. I ran a 10.8@128. My car has a one piece DS, upper and lower control arms, Koni orange shocks, steeda sport springs, and is tuned by AED.

However, my gas tune was conservative as hell because of knock. I’ve switched to E85 and an 11psi spring, so I’m curious to see how I improve.

On the tire setup though, it launches good. The car gets kinda squirrel during the 1-2 shift. On my best run I thought I was going to go sideways during that first shift. Other than that, I get some decent 60’ times out of it. With a 2 step, I’m sure I could cut some 1.3-1.4 60’ times though.

Last edited:

ryan03svt

Established Member
I have a Paxton with a 3.33 pulley and a wastegate. My best run was with the wastegate set to 10psi. I ran a 10.8@128. My car has a one piece DS, upper and lower control arms, Koni orange shocks, steeds sport springs, and is tuned but AED.

However, my gas tune was conservative as hell because of knock. I’ve switched to E85 and an 11psi spring, so I’m curious to see how I improve.

On the tire setup though, it launches good. The car gets kinda squirrel during the 1-2 shift. On my best run I thought I was going to go sideways during that first shift. Other than that, I get some decent 60’ times out of it. With a 2 step, I’m sure I could cut some 1.3-1.4 60’ times though.

That's a good time. I trapped close to 130 but only ran a best of 11.7....my 60ft times were embarrassing. I'm hoping to do 1.5s with the new tires. Let me know how the car does with the 2 step

slow306stang

Established Member
Premium Member
I have two sets of welds for the rear of my car. For the track i run 28x10.5 MT stiff sidewall et drag slicks. On the street i just picked up a set of 275/60/15 radial ET street R's. I didnt have much street traction with the 295/55/15s.

For your car id go with the et street r bias ply 28x11.5x15s. Keep in mind even with me using full slicks I couldn't get my car to hook on a 2 step. I tried all rpm levels and it kept on knocking the tires off. I switched back to slipping the clutch and normally get 1.38-1.44 60fts. I have a Procharger setup so your results will differ.

wolfman311

Established Member
I have two sets of welds for the rear of my car. For the track i run 28x10.5 MT stiff sidewall et drag slicks. On the street i just picked up a set of 275/60/15 radial ET street R's. I didnt have much street traction with the 295/55/15s.

For your car id go with the et street r bias ply 28x11.5x15s. Keep in mind even with me using full slicks I couldn't get my car to hook on a 2 step. I tried all rpm levels and it kept on knocking the tires off. I switched back to slipping the clutch and normally get 1.38-1.44 60fts. I have a Procharger setup so your results will differ.
What size wheel are you running up front? Radial or bias?

slow306stang

Established Member
Premium Member
Any issue with that radial up front when you are using bias ply on the back during track days?
No, lock your left arm with the wheel upon launch. Keep that arm locked with small corrections for the whole pass. The faster your shifts are the less it will unload between gears. Most sway comes from the driver sawing the wheel between gears when its not necessary.

FL Skydiver

Established Member
I have been running the MT ET Street R bias ply 28x11.5 15's on my Roush TVS car 622 rwhp MT-82. I have MT Sportsman radial skinnies up front. Best 60' is a 1.51 they usually hook pretty well. I drive to and from the track 45 min at 70-80 mph highway speeds most of the way no problems. I drive to and from the track on 30 psi and race on 17 psi.
28279198_10216003890275960_1819605045759442944_n.jpg

wolfman311

Established Member
I have been running the MT ET Street R bias ply 28x11.5 15's on my Roush TVS car 622 rwhp MT-82. I have MT Sportsman radial skinnies up front. Best 60' is a 1.51 they usually hook pretty well. I drive to and from the track 45 min at 70-80 mph highway speeds most of the way no problems. I drive to and from the track on 30 psi and race on 17 psi. View attachment 1479481
You go with a 26 or 28 skinny?

FL Skydiver

Established Member
I currently have 26” tires up front but I am going to a 28” soon. MY SPlitter scrapes everehear.

FL Skydiver

Established Member
One thing I have noticed about these tires they hook best with a minimal burnout. Too much burnout and they don’t work as well.

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
I would be worried about driving too much on the street with a slick. I was at a track, watched a guy unload his car and go to tech. Before he go back there was a nail in the tire. That was at the track, way too many chances for that to happen on the street.

Users who are viewing this thread