Rain with drag radials?

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
I had drag radials on my old GT which was supercharged and had a little less power than my Cobra currently has. They were Nitto 555r 315/35 and were ok in the rain but they were new, but the car was not daily driven so I did not have to drive it in the rain. I would just get a second set of rear rims and throw a good radial tire on them, you don't want to ruin your car over a set of tires.

flamedstang95

Gettin' Dirty
Established Member
I wouldn't chance it either man. My car came with Sumijunko's that the PO had installed and they are just as bad as bald tires. Needless to say I never drive my car in the rain

Tims97SVT

Established Member
I drove roughly 200miles in poring rain with 555r's on my lightning. It was not bad but you could feel the truck dancing around a little. Just know you limits and be easy on/ off the gas and brake. Rev match when you down gear as well.

Micky t's and bfg's suck in the ran after they have a few miles on them.

MBoyle1

redfire
Established Member
I have an extra pair of stock rims for that reason the car will hydro plain on a thin layer of water due to no water channels in the treds &also for on occasional winter ride as freezing weather can ruin drag radials.

bmorecobra

Off stacks
Established Member
I recently had some 03-04 wheels widened by weldcraft to 12" in the rear, was dead set on mounting some 345 BFG DR's on there for some extra traction and that mean look. However a few weeks ago my good friend totaled his built C5 vette on the highway on his way home from work with the NT05Rs he had on the back. Since then I decided just to go with some toyo RA1's so the compound is still soft for decent traction but they will do well in the rain. In the future I will just buy some 15x10 Prostars with slicks to mount out back when I get to the track and take them back off for the ride home. That way you dont sacrifice traction either (or totaling your vehicle)!

RAPTOR5V

Firing on all 8
Established Member
Ive gotten stuck in the rain more than a few times with my mickeys and never had a problem. but was the slowest I've ever driven in my life. It is pushing your luck though

346CamaroSS

Established Member
555Rs are fine. I daily drove my old Camaro with them in Seattle. We get a lot of rain.

You never said what Nittos you are running? Or are you just considering Nittos?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
555Rs are fine. I daily drove my old Camaro with them in Seattle. We get a lot of rain.

You never said what Nittos you are running? Or are you just considering Nittos?

I have nitto 555 drag radials.

Sage2k

Established Member
I have driven 555r's in the rain no problem with 480rwhp.

The only time it was a problem waas when it was wet and COLD. The cold just froze those tires solid and made them very tricky.

itSSlow98

Established Member
I just drove my cobra in the rain yesterday. 305 M/t ET Street IIs, Full Moser Spool. Didnt drive like an idiot and never had a problem.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
doesn't matter if you have 1000 hp or 10.. it's not the power, but the lack of a path for water to drain out from under the tire that causes it to hydroplane.. which is why any tire with limited tread is a NO NO when it comes to standing water.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Would you drive in the rain with a bald 315/30 or close to a bald street tire?

That's about what a new drag radial is going to act like so why chance it?

I've driven in sleet with slicks so can it be done? Yep but I also didn't think I was going to get up a slight hill either lol. Went about 20mph.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I rain 555R's for a few years. They were only 275's though. Even with the blower I never had issues with traction. Now I'm N/A with 315 Sumitomos and almost headed into a guard rail in the last rain storm. Granted this is California rain.

Misspelling brought to you by tapatalk

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
It's not bad until you find yourself sliding uncontrollably into oncoming traffic and realize you only have moments until your ultimate doom arrives. At this point you might regret using drag radials in the rain.

65wildstang

Established Member
Mine wasn't that bad during the rain. But got caught in a slight amount of sleet & snow and didn't think I was going to make it home. Lol

*SVT*

What next?
Established Member
What about the Toyo R888 in the rain?

I've had them on my car for about 1 month. I've only been in the rain once so far. There really wasn't any standing water. They seemed fine. They were throwing a giant roost. That tells me they are treading water just fine.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Great replies guys, good to get feedback on ths.

Users who are viewing this thread