Ram Air hood

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
View attachment 1509050 View attachment 1509051 View attachment 1509052 View attachment 1509053 View attachment 1509054 View attachment 1509055 View attachment 1509056 View attachment 1509057 I have a Cervinis hood you are talking about and love it. Changed the look of the front end completely. I would suggest getting it unpainted, depends how anal you are about the finish. I had my body guy paint mine and cut out the underside of the louvers out to make it extract a lot more heat. If you look at the picture below of the cut out louver, the little tiny hole you see on the left is the drip hole for water so it doesn't pool up in the louver. The cutout next to it is where my body guy cut. Don't waste your money on the stripe kit they have available, different texture and slightly different color than the white stripes from the factory ( I had my stripes painted on ). The first one shipped had a crack in it , check the condition while the freight carrier is there. If you don't inspect it, you own it ! Big stickers on the box to inspect it before they leave. Made a call to Cervinis and the shipped out a new one immediately by a different carrier. New one came in perfect. Here are some pics, I have plenty more but to big to download on the site ?!! I also have a Cervinis hood on my 07 GT as well.

^^^That hood has the GT500KR style ram air opening, but much more aggressive looking IMO.

I agree with you on the full inspection upon arrival, if you accept it and it is damaged....It is yours.

The Tru-Fiber video on Youtube was interesting to me.....A ram air hood was laying on the floor, at first the guy was beating the hood with a bat (or something) with no damage.............Then he stepped onto the hood and started jumping up and down many times.....the hood flexed, but did not appear to sustain any damage. It was an interesting product demonstration. <<After I saw that video I thought, WOW!! if my hood gets damaged in shipment, the carrier must have "really" mis-handled it!!

R

Last edited:

blue 07

Established Member
^^^That hood has the GT500KR style ram air opening, but much more aggressive looking IMO.

I agree with you on the full inspection upon arrival, if you accept it and it is damaged....It is yours.

The Tru-Fiber video on Youtube was interesting to me.....A ram air hood was laying on the floor, at first the guy was beating the hood with a bat (or something) with no damage.............Then he stepped onto the hood and started jumping up and down many times.....the hood flexed, but did not appear to sustain any damage. It was an interesting product demonstration. <<After I saw that video I thought, WOW!! if my hood gets damaged in shipment, the carrier must have "really" mis-handled it!!

R
It is definitely a little more aggressive looking but didn't want the same opening as the super snake hood. Although the true fiber hood you can jump on, my guess is you wont be jumping on it !!

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
It is definitely a little more aggressive looking but didn't want the same opening as the super snake hood. Although the true fiber hood you can jump on, my guess is you wont be jumping on it !!

No.....no, jumping on my hood here, but I thought it was an interesting demonstration......I have not seen any of the other hood manufacturers test the structural integrity of their hoods in this way.

Me, being a Super Snake owner, I like my original hood but I also like the GT500KR style hood. They both have a cool look in their own ways. I am also concerned because the hood that was installed on my car back in early 2009 is no longer available, so if something were to happen to my original Super Snake hood, I would not be able to get a "correct original" from Shelby because they no longer offer it with functional ram air. The only functionality on the 2007-2009 and 2010-2014 Super Snake hoods from Shelby is heat extraction.......no more functional ram air.

To me, if the hood has the opening in the front, I want it to function, not just catch/trap air in that opening.

R

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I would not be able to get a "correct original" from Shelby because they no longer offer it with functional ram air. The only functionality on the 2007-2009 and 2010-2014 Super Snake hoods from Shelby is heat extraction.......no more functional ram air.
To me, if the hood has the opening in the front, I want it to function, not just catch/trap air in that opening.
R
To me, there has to be a functional reason to buy an aftermarket hood, like hide a really big blower,.............otherwise it's cosmetics !!

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
To me, there has to be a functional reason to buy an aftermarket hood, like hide a really big blower,.............otherwise it's cosmetics !!

I agree and blower clearance is also better under these higher hoods.

As for the hood functionality, fresh cooler air from the outside world, with a flow to it, has been an advantage since the muscle car days for a few extra ponies.

As for "getting the heat out", I have sat in my car at a traffic light many times over the past ten years on a hot Florida day and watched the heat escape (a distorted air flow look over the extractors) from under my hood through the extractors. I would also guess that when the car is moving the air flow front to rear in the engine compartment would flow the heat up and out of the extractors, since they are at the rear/upper portion of the hood.

If it does not have the ram air function, but looks like it does, that is definitely for show/cosmetics only..........and it is true, the hood still looks good and has the same cool view from the outside.

R

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Here is the current Super Snake hood that is sold through Shelby Performance Parts.

It has the cool Super Snake look.....and the heat extractors will be functional....

P10303211.jpg

but when you look at the bottom side there is no plenum behind the front scoop/opening to direct air to the CAI.....

P10303201.jpg

The ram air scoop is just for looks.....

P10303221.jpg

R

Users who are viewing this thread