Really? This Qualifies For "Stand Your Ground"

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
I’d rather not watch the video. Prayers to the victim and his family, and may the shooter rot in hell. All I know is...people are ****ing nuts anymore. Long gone are the days when I will get into it with strangers. You never know what the hell they are going to do. I tell my wife this all the time. She wants to give people a piece of her mind sometimes when they are being obnoxious or wrong. I tell her “I get it...BUT don’t risk any escalation...you never know what they will do next. It just isn’t worth it.”

Rct851

Established Member
yea thats bullshit you don't shoot someone over that. Running your mouth to a woman like a tough guy then going right to your gun when you get checked a little is stupid.

With that said i am not a big fan of people using handicap spots that do not need them.

Also if you are going to be the person to initiate physical contact over an argument you need to continue kicking ass or at least staying in control of the person. obviously hind site makes that an easy declaration at this point.

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
If I missed it I'll freely admit such but I didn't see either article nor video(s) mention threats.

So you went from the victim was not involved to there was no mention about any threats?

If you watch the video, they say the shooter picked a fight with the victims girlfriend and it got so heated that a bystander went into the store and reported it. Also in the video, there was another gentlemen interviewed that had a similar run in with the shooter over the handicap parking spot and stated that the guy threatened to shoot him.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
So you went from the victim was not involved to there was no mention about any threats?

If you watch the video, they say the shooter picked a fight with the victims girlfriend and it got so heated that a bystander went into the store and reported it. Also in the video, there was another gentlemen interviewed that had a similar run in with the shooter over the handicap parking spot and stated that the guy threatened to shoot him.

You said the shooter threatened the driver. The boyfriend or husband or whatever he was considered was inside the store independent of the situation between the driver and the future shooter.

What threats were made?

MG0h3

Established Member
Bingo. Can't shoot someone who is retreating, even if they were the initial aggressor. That's a manslaughter charge.

I agree. Manslaughter.

Hopefully an overzealous prosecutor doesn't try and prove some level of premeditation due to prior incidents and go for murder because I don't think they'd get him.

Play it safe and get manslaughter.

blk02edge

Established Member
Definitely murder but as a father that man had the responsibility to use his words rather than immediately leveling the guy. Especially in a stand your ground state... How stupid can you be

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
You said the shooter threatened the driver. The boyfriend or husband or whatever he was considered was inside the store independent of the situation between the driver and the future shooter.

What threats were made?

I do not know what specific threats were being made, I was not there. But if you think the shooter was politely asking her to move her car when the boyfriend gave the shooter a textbook Gordie Howe cross check, then you are turning a blind eye to the facts.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
I do not know what specific threats were being made, I was not there. But if you think the shooter was politely asking her to move her car when the boyfriend gave the shooter a textbook Gordie Howe cross check, then you are turning a blind eye to the facts.

Don't back peddle. Don't move the goal posts.

If I need to remind you, in post number seventeen it was YOU who said "The victim was "involved" because it was his girlfriend being threatened by the shooter."

Arguing with someone doesn't necessarily mean she was threatened.

Machdup1

Established Member
Dead guy parked illegally in handicapped space because the lot was full’ish

Shooting said something about.

Dead guy escalated to physical violence and then back off

Sorry he’s dead, but only a little.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Being a dick doesn't mean the law doesn't protect you. I will say by the time law enforcement and the survivors lawyers finish up with him, he will wish he never pulled the trigger.

Snake Pliskin

Teen Idol
Established Member
sORXJLqvlLk

Snake Pliskin

Teen Idol
Established Member
sORXJLqvlLk

Bad decision to push the guy down like that. I don't agree he had the right to shoot him for it. He should just get in the car and leave. It's not smart to push or hit someone because he is talking trash.

Sent from my SM-G935V using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Agree. When he made it physical there is no way to predict to what degree the situation will escalate. Bad idea as it turned out.

MG0h3

Established Member
Like to see where the victim was shot.

He's a typical means test for LE using deadly force. Does the subject have the means, opportunity/ability, and intent to cause death or bodily harm that could result in death? At the moment of the shooting, the answer is NO. Period.

Couple examples to get you thinking: a guy is standing 15' from me saying he is going to kill me and he has a rock in his hand. But the "rock" is the size of a quarter. Can I shoot him? Good luck arguing that a rock that small is a deadly weapon at 15'. A lot of stuff goes into considering the decision....lets say I'm tired, subject is clearly much stronger/bigger than me, starts advancing...etc. That changes things.

Guy is 50' away. He has a cinder block in his arms and shouts that he is going to kill me with it. Can I shoot him? Can you argue that he could throw a cinder block 50' and hit you? Not really. Again, he starts advancing, you don't have anywhere to retreat to or a way to diffuse...things change.

With all that in mind, watch the video again. Victim is either halted or stepping AWAY when the shooter hits the ground. As soon as the gun comes out, you'll briefly see his hands come up to waist level in the typical position of surrender. Now look at his body position when the video cuts, which is moments before the shot I'm guessing. He is canted at what looks like at least 45* AWAY from the shooter.

I would def. vote guilty on a manslaughter charge if I was on this jury.

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
Being a dick doesn't mean the law doesn't protect you. I will say by the time law enforcement and the survivors lawyers finish up with him, he will wish he never pulled the trigger.

If the Stand Your Ground law protects this murderer in this particular case then that law needs to be amended. How many of you have been pushed by someone? If you were armed would you have shot them?

Users who are viewing this thread