Rear Diff

SLOW32V

Established Member
I'm having issues with the rear end in my 2004 mach 1. I bought the car with 51k on the clock 2 years ago, drove fine and everything for about 9 months then the rear end started making a horrible noise while turning. Like a clanking as if something is loose. I decided to replace the 3.55 with some 3.73s and while in there discovered I've got 31 spline axles and couldn't find any culprit of the noise. Didn't like the 3.73s so got 4.30s and put them in, still no sign of anything loose, all new bearings etc. Well its been getting progressively worse. I'm to the point of buying a new differential. Any ideas on what the hell it could be would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my XT1254 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

my04mach

Established Member
Maybe it simply needs a traction-lok limited slip rebuild kit. I had to have mine done at around 50k or so because the LSD was not engaging all the time and did one wheel peels. I hear they can be noisy if they don't have friction modifier in with the gear oil, but I wouldn't think that noise would classify as clanking as you've described. I wonder what it has in there if it's been upgraded to a 31 spline..?

Instagram: @ab_mach1

SLOW32V

Established Member
Maybe it simply needs a traction-lok limited slip rebuild kit. I had to have mine done at around 50k or so because the LSD was not engaging all the time and did one wheel peels. I hear they can be noisy if they don't have friction modifier in with the gear oil, but I wouldn't think that noise would classify as clanking as you've described. I wonder what it has in there if it's been upgraded to a 31 spline..?

Instagram: @ab_mach1
Maybe, I'm going to throw it on the lift again and check the spider gears. Was planning on going to the local TNT Friday but its not looking too good.

4a7191a

Established Member
I had play in my axels and it was just enough to rub the rear brake braket against the rotor.
Take the tire off and check side to side play. If it touches take a small washer and space it out a tad.
Mines been fixed that way for over 6 years now.

SLOW32V

Established Member
I had play in my axels and it was just enough to rub the rear brake braket against the rotor.
Take the tire off and check side to side play. If it touches take a small washer and space it out a tad.
Mines been fixed that way for over 6 years now.
Never thought of that. I'll look into it, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread