Rear differential cooler

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Originally posted by ragansrcobra99
only thing that i have a tad of concern over is the -12 fittings being reduced to -8. my line of thought tho, is that it'll move a bit more oil, more surface area on the cooler, and less taxing on the pump. of course, that's the redneck line of thought there......feel free to chime in...

I would not worry about the smaller line size. I would worry about the line size if it were too large though. Then the oil would be moving too rapidly through the system hence not spending enough time in the cooler and not getting a chance to drop in temp.

ragansrcobra99

That R has a CLOCK?!?
Established Member
i'm not going to run a fan as yet. i'm going to see how it works out first. it's going to be another week or two before it goes to the shop for everything. i'm going to try to get pics of all the stuff getting installed, for info purposes for others..

ragansrcobra99

That R has a CLOCK?!?
Established Member
Originally posted by ac427cobra
I would not worry about the smaller line size. I would worry about the line size if it were too large though. Then the oil would be moving too rapidly through the system hence not spending enough time in the cooler and not getting a chance to drop in temp.

ok, that makes sense. for that matter, a smaller line may actually be beneficial letting the oil sit in the cooler longer. i've been kicking the -6 or -8 line for the last couple of days.

i've been putting this together on "extreme budget". as soon as it's completed, i'll post a list of what all i put in to it. so far, if i go no fan with -8 line, i'm at $323. if i go-6, i'll squeeze it in under $300....hmmm

Cobra-R

Established Member
ok, that makes sense. for that matter, a smaller line may actually be beneficial letting the oil sit in the cooler longer. i've been kicking the -6 or -8 line for the last couple of days.

i've been putting this together on "extreme budget". as soon as it's completed, i'll post a list of what all i put in to it. so far, if i go no fan with -8 line, i'm at $323. if i go-6, i'll squeeze it in under $300....hmmm

I'm tellin ya, a radiator out of a Peterbuilt is what you shoud have, not a wimpy cooler like that. Mr Overkill. :beer:

Psst there is a semi parked accross the street, want me to grab his radiator for ya? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

kevin

i'm not going to run a fan as yet. i'm going to see how it works out first. it's going to be another week or two before it goes to the shop for everything. i'm going to try to get pics of all the stuff getting installed, for info purposes for others..

you going to install a guage so you can tell if it's working w/o a fan?

kevin

Originally posted by Cobra-R
I'm tellin ya, a radiator out of a Peterbuilt is what you shoud have, not a wimpy cooler like that. Mr Overkill. :beer:

Psst there is a semi parked accross the street, want me to grab his radiator for ya? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

just don't use one from a dura.............................:beer:

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by kevin
you going to install a guage so you can tell if it's working w/o a fan?

We could clap when he drives by, then he will have fans. :nonono: :nonono: :beer: :p :p

ragansrcobra99

That R has a CLOCK?!?
Established Member
[thread hijack]

see now brian, i understand your concern over the size of the cooler. but for those of us that actually drive at speed on track it can be an actual concern. so while a bag of ice on top of your diff would most likely suffice for you, for the rest of us, we have to look at serious cooling options.

don't make me get the golf out on ya....:p

[/thread hijack]

Cobra-R

Established Member
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

just don't use one from a dura.............................:beer:

He would never keep up to it if he used that one. :) :) :)

Cobra-R

Established Member
[thread hijack]

see now brian, i understand your concern over the size of the cooler. but for those of us that actually drive at speed on track it can be an actual concern. so while a bag of ice on top of your diff would most likely suffice for you, for the rest of us, we have to look at serious cooling options.

[/thread hijack]

Speed limit is 55 and I strictly adhere to it. So whats your point?:D :D :D :D :D :D

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by ac427cobra
I try to drive in the left hand lane about 10 under with my blinker on;-) :lol:

LMAO!!!!! Hey Kevin drives with his blinker on also. (in the 41 car):D :D :D :D

kevin

[thread hijack]

[/thread hijack]

way too funny AND way too true:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :beer:

kevin

Speed limit is 55 and I strictly adhere to it. So whats your point?:D :D :D :D :D :D

and this is the reason you just permanently park your right arm out the window to give the permanent wave by on the track:bash: :lol: :lol: :beer:

Cobra-R

Established Member
i do? why didn't some one tell me before now?:shrug: :D :D

You were mumbling something bout window nets or something, but we knew the real reason. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

kevin

You were mumbling something bout window nets or something, but we knew the real reason. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

if memory serves me correct (and it does), my car's turn signals weren't even working:burnout:

Cobra-R

Established Member
if memory serves me correct (and it does), my car's turn signals weren't even working:burnout:

I even remember you backup lights coming on entering turn one.......now that is slow. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :p :p :p :p

Terry Moenich

Established Member
HELP!!!!!!! I just got the rear cover off my diff to do the drilling, I have a heavy bodied dark gray substance that seems to have seperated from the gear lube and is clinking to the bottom of the cover and diff. It is also attracted to the magnetic fill plug.

Did anyone else see this? My guess is this may be clutch material from the gero-disc posi???????????? I think this means
its junk! 1800 miles????? one open track day and one time run day at RA.

Any other experience afyer you took the cover off yours will be helpfull.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread