Rear differential cooler

kevin

Originally posted by Terry Moenich
HELP!!!!!!! I just got the rear cover off my diff to do the drilling, I have a heavy bodied dark gray substance that seems to have seperated from the gear lube and is clinking to the bottom of the cover and diff. It is also attracted to the magnetic fill plug.

Did anyone else see this? My guess is this may be clutch material from the gero-disc posi???????????? I think this means
its junk! 1800 miles????? one open track day and one time run day at RA.

Any other experience afyer you took the cover off yours will be helpfull.

Thanks

terry. from the experience on mine - yes. i've burned thru 2 of the things now. currently waiting for my torsen t2r. same as joe johnson - his has lasted quite a long time and lots of track time.

if you're just now putting a cooler in, then some of it may have burned due to hot temps. those things don't last long on the track without a cooler. i think joe's lasted only a couple of track events without the cooler - then toast.

bummer man. i feel your pain.

Terry Moenich

Established Member
So the dark grey stuff is clutch material? I looked at it under lighted magnification, it is very creamy, no mettaliic in it, almost looks like some sort of assembly lube. Could it be?

Terry Moenich

Established Member
If I order a T-2R I just need a 31 spline for an 8.8 right? Is the IRS a special unit? I gues I can use 03 Cobra axles, right?

kevin

i'm on global west's wait list. i was told at the time i order it that it was a direct fit. steve ragan has since told me some machining has to be done but that global ought to be able to do it. i'll talk with them after they get it in. i'ce been told the 03 half shafts work, but i don't know that personnally. i was planning on leaving the orginals on.

the olny thing that should be in the rear (as far as i know) is the gear lube and friction modifier. when i drained mine the last time it was to repalce the gears and the fluid was very clean (probably 1500 - 2000 miles on the fluid). the first time was to replace the geo. that was grey and creamy also (no chunks). i've had a cooler on sine the first track use (1800 hiway miles prior to that).

hope this helps.

Andy M

Established Member
Terry,

I installed my diff cooler before running my first track event...and at the same time I had the gears changed. I've run well over 12 track events in the past year and a half and have not had any problems with my diff, the half shafts, or anything else on the rear end of the car.

I am pretty religious about changing the fluid though. I usually only run no more than 2 track events before changing the fluid in the diff. I use the Ford friction modifier with Royal Purple racing gear oil. I turn the diff cooler on just before each track session and leave it on until I get off the track. I am fairly certain the cooler has done wonders to protect my diff, and it would have been toast by now if I did not have a cooler installed.

Terry Moenich

Established Member
Thanks guys, Looks like I need to get on that wait list.

Kevin, I don't think you can use the original axles on the T-2R without at least changing the inner stubs. The Gero-disc crap has specific axles to drive the oil pump in it.

When I got my T-2R for my 95, Reider racing had it in stock, but it was 28 spline. I'm going to call them and check it out.

As for the machining for the new T-2R, I heard if you want to use internal snap rings like the factory, then a groove needs to be machined. If you use C-clips then it should just bolt in.

Can anyone confirm this is true or not?

I can see however C-clips might make installation interesting!

Dean95CobraR

Established Member
Originally posted by Terry Moenich
So the dark grey stuff is clutch material? I looked at it under lighted magnification, it is very creamy, no mettaliic in it, almost looks like some sort of assembly lube. Could it be?

Is it possible that it's friction modifier that has settled during the winter?:shrug:

Cobra-R

Established Member
Terry,
Unless the pics are posted on the net somewhere, the best you can do is post one at a time. :beer: Here ya go:

Users who are viewing this thread