Rear end clunk... back lash?

Mwynn

Established Member
Changed all the fluids in newly purchased 00r the other day, car has 2700 miles on it, no signs of heavy track use... I'm getting a light to moderate clunk noise from the rear diff when starting from a dead stop or starting in reverse.... feels like way to much back lash in the ring gear. Did Ford set the car up this way? Saw video on the quarks of these cars.... briefly mentioned it. Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks

nmp1

Established Member
yes, the previous owner of my car was a ford engineer and he confirmed it. my car does the same thing.

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
The car is noisy and harsh. It's a race car. I dig that!

Mwynn

Established Member
Ok, just wanted to make sure that noise was normal.... before I drown it out with free flowing loud exhaust job. Thanks guys.

comprepsvo

Established Member
It's the geodisc rear differential. It's normal. The real track dogs install the Torsen differential. If you track or do many hot laps a differential cooler is recommended. In fact back in 2000 several owners experienced differential failure because of getting to hot!

Mwynn

Established Member
So your saying the slack (clunk) in the drive line is actually the differential... not the lash on the ring and pinion?

Oh, check your lug wrench in the trunk, mine is not right, still was in factory form, but not the right size.

Cobra R Man

IMSA RACE CAR
Established Member
So your saying the slack (clunk) in the drive line is actually the differential... not the lash on the ring and pinion?

If the slack is in the diff, that IS the ring & pinion.
Put the car on jack stands, with the car in neutral, and grab the pinion flange, try to take up the slack without actually turning the pinion. The slack should be minimum (a few thousands). If you can move it over a 1/4", that could be your noise.

Users who are viewing this thread