Rear sway-bar issue.

Blu13gt

Established Member
So I have a 2013 GT base Brembo car. I recently installed a watts link. Im having an odd issue that even the manufacturer of the watts link has never seen before.

After installation I took the car for a full alignment and all suspension perameters are in spec. The wheel base is within 1/4 inch of factory measurement axle is square to the car and within 1/16 inch of center. My sway-bar is the track pack sway-bar(26mm if I remember correctly) the diameter was measured and verified that way. I have BMR non adjustable lower control arms and relocation brackets and I'm running Koni Yellows with Eibach Pro springs.

So on to the issue. After install of the watts link i was getting a horrible metal on metal sound even on small bumps. With some searching i found that the sway bar is contacting the Watts link Brace. So at the manufacturers recommendation I ground off some materal where the bar and brace come into contact. This helped but it has not completley eliminated the issue. On larger bumps at higher speeds (60-65 on ramp or off ramp pavement transtitions) The sway-bar hits the brace and makes a huge thud.

Im hesitant to grind any more off the brace at this point. So what I'm hoping to find is either a relocation kit that moves the sway-bar toward the back of the car 1/4 to 1/2 inch or a sway-bar link kit that is 1/4-1/2 inch longer than the factory links. I would also like to avoid replacing the sway-bar. Does anyone know of any such products?

Last edited:

luker669

Established Member
Post some pics, I had a similar issue I believe. I’ll get to the garage in an hour and take a picture of my fix.
Which watts-link do you have? I have the Fays 2

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
I've got the BMR watts link as well. Are you sure it's hitting the sway bar or the BMR mounting bar? I would verify that your brackets that mount to the axle are truly 90 degrees up and down. Any angle added towards the back will cause things to bind and hit. Of note, I was running the Laguna Seca rear sway bar and never hit. Even with the vehicle dangling on jack stands (however it was very close). With the stock GT sway bar, I've got a lot more room.

Blu13gt

Established Member
I am 100% sure it is the swaybar hitting the brace. Before i ground the brace they were in full contact. Now i have space but not enough. As i said Even BMR was confused they were convinced that my rear axle was too far forward until measurments were taken on the wheel base and the rear axle measuerd to be in the correct position.

luker669

Established Member
I cut mine, tapped them, then installed these couplers to extend them.
5b9b58307af43bf681aab9088c420d24.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Last edited:

luker669

Established Member
I bought everything at Fastenal . I believe everything is 1/2 course tread. Each one has 2 couplers 3 nuts and 1 stud in the middle.
It’s been a few months I could be off on the 1/2 but I didn’t need to machine the links at all just cut them and ran the tap. It’s pretty soft medal. I didn’t even remove the sway bar.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Blu13gt

Established Member
Does anyone have a picture of the factory swaybar compared to the BMR adjustable swaybar? Also the end link comparison?

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
I don't have a picture from before with the LS or stock sway bar and my BMR watts link, but I did just install the BMR Adjustable Rear Sway Bar and you most definitely won't hit with that. Of note, it's surprisingly a pain in the ass to install.

Blu13gt

Established Member
Is it possible that you could measure or give an estimate of the distance between the watts link and the swaybar at its closest point? Mine contacts when I hit a decent sized bump right where the cutout for the sway bar starts in the center prop mount area.
yC1+xBHaQr6kuO6LCcCFCQ.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread