Remember the old days (of the internet)?

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
Watching pictures load one line at a time, I was usually done before it got to the nips. Downloaded a Barry Sanders run once, took 17minutes for a 13sec clip.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
You guys had early internet? Spoiled brats. In my day if you wanted to send a message you had to kill a whale, render it for it's oil, and hand wrap the capacitors you were going to use to tune the antenna, which was just a square array of rusty nails. And we didn't have no fancy broadcast tubes, either, we had to invent spark-gap devices and blast that message all the way to Proxima Centauri and back. It was rough, but as an unexpected side-benefit, we were later able to use the sparkers as protoypical spark plugs in them new-fangled engine jobs.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
You are lucky James. We used smoke, or would send a runner overland or sea to deliver a message. Usually by the time they delivered the message they were on the knife edge of death. So more often than not, we never saw the runner again. We lost a lot of good men that way, but communication is key to the advancement of civilization. Once the white man brought us the horse, things got much easier!

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
askjeeves was another old school search engine

happypuppy for game cheat codes

newgrounds for playing games online

I think all of them are still around, but dont care to visit.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I had one of these...
modem.jpg

so I could get online with one of these... Commodore 64 baby! Love this thing. Gaming was a blast. Dr. J Basketball and Ghostbusters by activision. Fun times.

c64_main_large-11391955.jpg

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
What do you guys classify as the invention date of the internet? Back in 1983 when ARPANET adopted IP protocols, or in 1990 when the "world wide web" was invented?

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
I had one of these...
so I could get online with one of these... Commodore 64 baby! Love this thing. Gaming was a blast. Dr. J Basketball and Ghostbusters by activision. Fun times.

c64_main_large-11391955.jpg

I begged and pleaded for one of those, but we were stuck with the Commodore VIC 20 instead.
The VIC 20 was still pretty cool, Frogger on tape, and Omega Race was the bomb!

250px-Comdr0007.jpg

My sister and I used to type out code for hours on the VIC 20, only to get the dreaded syntax error at the end. :mad:
Once we fixed the code, we were rewarded by a stupid pixelated man doing jumping jacks on screen.

2000GTSTANG

Established Member
First pc the family had was a Proteva P2 350MHz with AOL that my grandma bought off of QVC lol. It took a lot of convincing to get my mom to switch over to cable internet after my friend's family switched. I think we had dial-up until 2003.

Anyone else here that used to watch Tech TV? I learned so much as a kid from their shows.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
My first desk top was a 90MHz Gateway with 4Mb of Ram and an 800 something Mb HD. I modded the crap out of that thing.

Users who are viewing this thread