Remote Tune VS Dyno Tune

mustangbob

Established Member
Hey guys,
I've been wanting to upgrade the cobra for about 5 years but I am trying to decide between doing a dyno tune or remote tune. The nearest dyno tuner that is some what reputable is about 2 hours from me and they are asking over $500 for just the tune not including the handheld tuner. So I am looking at close to $1,000 after taxes to just get a tune. Is this normal? I was wanting to just start out with a simple pulley swap and tune and then when I had the money and parts to get a twin screw. But I doesn't seem worth it to me for just a pulley. I had looked at VMP for remote tuning and it would be around $600 for a remote tune and tuner. However, from researching it seems I will probably need a wideband for this, which isn't a bad thing but that puts it at around $900. What do you guys recommend or do you know any other remote tuners that do a good job for less.

Also, this is not to going to the drag strip and I don't need it tuned to the edge. Mainly just street cruising and fun on the highway and mountains.

Thanks,

Bob

Last edited:

KLLR SNK

Established Member
Take a look at, google, Don LaSota Racing for everything you need. Or talk to members 04sleeper or MalcolmV8 for email tuning.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Gonna depend on your mods. I'd have zero issues with a remote tune. In fact I did one with VMP, but I'm a upper only car, but wouldn't have issue with them on a blower swap tune. I know Kevin does remotes on blower swap cars with no issues. You'll need a wideband.

bigmoose

Established Member
$500 for a tune without a device is way too expensive. I'd go with a reputable remote tuner if I didn't have a fairly priced local tuner. You'll want a wideband anyway, you can get an AEM eugo for $150 then pay an exhaust shop short money to weld in a bung.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I've done both. After not being impressed with my previous tuner that was dyno tuned, I looked on here for a reputable remote tuner. I went with Kevin (04sleeper) and couldn't be happier.

I felt somewhat a part of the tuning process. I data logged driving around, and then doing 3rd gear pulls. I check out the logs once I get home and can verify what the cars doing. Seeing the a/f is great along with all the other stuff you wish to data log. Then I email him the log.

With the right remote tuner I firmly believe it's a better tune than a dyno tune. Data logs don't lie, and the remote tuner is tuning off of real street driven conditions.

My car has a tvs blower, full return fuel system, and e85. It drives and idles like stock. Maybe even better.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I've done both. After not being impressed with my previous tuner that was dyno tuned, I looked on here for a reputable remote tuner. I went with Kevin (04sleeper) and couldn't be happier.

I felt somewhat a part of the tuning process. I data logged driving around, and then doing 3rd gear pulls. I check out the logs once I get home and can verify what the cars doing. Seeing the a/f is great along with all the other stuff you wish to data log. Then I email him the log.

With the right remote tuner I firmly believe it's a better tune than a dyno tune. Data logs don't lie, and the remote tuner is tuning off of real street driven conditions.

My car has a tvs blower, full return fuel system, and e85. It drives and idles like stock. Maybe even better.

+1

04sleeper remote tune

nxhappy

Established Member
some of the best tuners in the nation can remote tune mustangs

in example, VMP or John Lund , unleashed tuning

all you need is a wideband and a computer to verify everything is in check.

mustangbob

Established Member
Take a look at, google, Don LaSota Racing for everything you need. Or talk to members 04sleeper or MalcolmV8 for email tuning.
I have seen the site before when I was researching DIY Tuning, which I am still considering but I know that a professional tuner will do it right and much faster.

I will get in contact with 04sleeper and MalcolmV8. Thanks for the help

mustangbob

Established Member
$500 for a tune without a device is way too expensive. I'd go with a reputable remote tuner if I didn't have a fairly priced local tuner. You'll want a wideband anyway, you can get an AEM eugo for $150 then pay an exhaust shop short money to weld in a bung.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

I assume that is a used price for the Uego. How accurate are they? I was looking into the NGK AFX after reading a lot of good reviews on the forums.

bigmoose

Established Member

cj428mach

Established Member
I assume that is a used price for the Uego. How accurate are they? I was looking into the NGK AFX after reading a lot of good reviews on the forums.

Im running an NGK AFX and am very happy with it. Ive had an AEM uego on my car and they fluctuate to much and it makes tuning difficult.

If you hit Malcolmv8 up for a remote tune he also is a zeitronix dealer and can maybe put a package together for you.

whitedevil95

@the03cobro
Established Member
I have done both also. The dyno tune is satisfying because you get numbers and it all happens fast. I did a remote tune with 04Sleeper for my last tune and it took me about a week with my work schedule to get all the logs and stuff ready. But where the dyno tune IMO falls short is on driveablity. My car drives like bone stock. Even with a JLT High Boost that one tuner said he wouldnt touch because they were "untunable".

As for the cost of a hand held and a wideband look at those as investments. You will use the wideband everytime you drive the car to make sure everything is in spec. And when you get the mod bug again "and you will, my car was just gonna be a pulley car also" you will use them dozens of times.

TheFleshRocket

Likes to drive sideways.
Established Member
The closest reputable shop to me that does dyno tuning is about 2 hours away as well, and they wanted $600 to do a dyno tune, and that's a one-time charge with no handheld tuner. That seems like a ton of money for a lot of inconvenience, so I won't be going that route.

Don at Lasota Racing offers remote tuning and includes an SCT X4 for $499. I'm going to add the Zeitronix ZT-2 wideband, per Don's recommendation. (I'd really like to save some money with a cheaper wideband but Don speaks highly of the Zeitronix and if I'm going to have him tune my car, I might as well get the hardware he recommends to minimize the chances of anything going wrong.) I am going to skip the actual gauge itself and instead buy the Zeitronix Audio / Visual Trigger Alarm System. It's $79 and has a bright light and loud buzzer than can be triggered to go off under multiple conditions--I'll primarily use it for "too lean", since that's the potential engine killer. I'm not going to be watching the wideband gauge during WOT pulls, but I ought to be able to hear a 95db buzzer and let out right away.

I am about to pull the trigger on all of that stuff from Lasota, for the TVS install that I am about to undertake. (I have all of the parts except what I'm gonna get from Lasota.)

mustangbob

Established Member
The closest reputable shop to me that does dyno tuning is about 2 hours away as well, and they wanted $600 to do a dyno tune, and that's a one-time charge with no handheld tuner. That seems like a ton of money for a lot of inconvenience, so I won't be going that route.

Don at Lasota Racing offers remote tuning and includes an SCT X4 for $499. I'm going to add the Zeitronix ZT-2 wideband, per Don's recommendation. (I'd really like to save some money with a cheaper wideband but Don speaks highly of the Zeitronix and if I'm going to have him tune my car, I might as well get the hardware he recommends to minimize the chances of anything going wrong.) I am going to skip the actual gauge itself and instead buy the Zeitronix Audio / Visual Trigger Alarm System. It's $79 and has a bright light and loud buzzer than can be triggered to go off under multiple conditions--I'll primarily use it for "too lean", since that's the potential engine killer. I'm not going to be watching the wideband gauge during WOT pulls, but I ought to be able to hear a 95db buzzer and let out right away.

I am about to pull the trigger on all of that stuff from Lasota, for the TVS install that I am about to undertake. (I have all of the parts except what I'm gonna get from Lasota.)

I didn't even know about zeitronix. The trigger alarm system seems pretty cool. I had a wideband on an old foxbody drag car and I always got annoyed with the gauge light constantly moving especially at night.

Users who are viewing this thread