Replacement Clutch for stock 2013 Boss

CALIF BOSS302

Established Member
With nearly 19,000 miles and some recent issues (son drove car and came back with burnt clutch smell), the time has come to replace the stock clutch.
I'm looking for recommendation OTHER than the RST and RXT. While those are great clutches, I think they might be an overkill for a stock weekend cruiser and not sure about the twin disk with the "chatter" that many report.

I've heard good things about:
1. Superior Clutches (San Jose) local shop building custom clutches. (www.moderndriveline.com)
2. Exedy 500
3. Spec 2

I really want street drivability as I have a blown left knee and need stock like pedal feel.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance . . .

2013Boss302

Established Member
I just replaced mine with a McLeod Street Extreme clutch. good to 700hp/700trq.

it is a single disk ceramic on both sides of the disk.

the pedal feels exactly like stock and bites hard.

I would call over there and talk to Lee let him know Michael with the Yellow Boss sent you.

McLeod Racing
(714) 630-2764

it is a great price as well.

CALIF BOSS302

Established Member
Thanks for the link and info . . . I will give them a call.

I would call over there and talk to Lee let him know Michael with the Yellow Boss sent you.

McLeod Racing
(714) 630-2764

nosscort

Established Member

McLeod Racing
(714) 630-2764

Didn't see that on the list of clutches from mcleod. .. where did you get this or what's the part #?

jtkz13

Established Member
Just throwing it out there, the RST in my 03 NEVER chatters and drives smooth as butter. Lower effort than stock too, by a wide margin.

CALIF BOSS302

Established Member
I originally thought the RST was all I would need. I've talked now to McLeod directly and to Borrelli Motorsports in San Jose who both say "Get the RXT". Since Borelli will be doing my install I may just go that route with the RXT.

Others have mentioned ACT which I had never heard off until VMP Tuning recommended them to me.

Decisions decisions . . .

kodexkustoms

Established Member
I just put my rxt in my boss and honesty I've not had any problems with it. The pedal feels like stock maybe even a little lighter, and as far as chatter goes once you get used to the clutch it rarely chatters and even when it does it's not that bad or at least to me.

kcobra

MUSTANG MANIAC
Established Member
If you do go SPEC, do the + series. 2+. Greater holding capacity and not as stiff. I've run both and didn't like the regular one. The plus works awesome.

FKing1

Established Member
Just had a Spec Stage 2+ & aluminum flywheel put in last Monday.
Pedal effort a bit more than stock , but, acceptable. Slight vibration at starting from stop from the flywheel , again OK with me.
Plan on a trip to the strip Sat & will post results.

lpheaven

Established Member
With nearly 19,000 miles and some recent issues (son drove car and came back with burnt clutch smell), the time has come to replace the stock clutch.
I'm looking for recommendation OTHER than the RST and RXT. While those are great clutches, I think they might be an overkill for a stock weekend cruiser and not sure about the twin disk with the "chatter" that many report.

I've heard good things about:
1. Superior Clutches (San Jose) local shop building custom clutches. (www.moderndriveline.com)
2. Exedy 500
3. Spec 2

I really want street drivability as I have a blown left knee and need stock like pedal feel.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance . . .

My parts just came in yesterday - its going to be a good day
2012 Procharged Boss

Mcleod RXT Street Twin Clutch Kit
Mcleod Steel Flywheel
Mcleod S197 Clutch Line
Tss Billet Oil Pump Gears for 2011-2014 Mustang GT 5.0
Ford Racing TI-VCT High RPM Competition Pulse Ring (11-14 5.0L)

edit - i was all set on the spec 2+ kit but after tons and tons of research i went with Mcleod
also dont forget to throw in a new throwout bearing

edit 2 HAHA Thanks to Terry from Beefcake Racing for the quick shipping & hassle free service

Last edited:

Dashti

Established Member

McLeod Racing
(714) 630-2764

Does it require to use Mcload flywheel like RST and RXT ?

StalkerStang

Established Member
Bringing this back up.....

I'm looking for a clutch for my 11 GT. I recently put a gt350 manifold on it and it's now making power over 7k rpm. Im now experiencing the clutch pedal not returning when I shift it over 7.

I really don't want to sink a grand into a clutch right with the RST/RXT...... Is the Street Extreme clutch able to handle up to 7500 rpm shifts?

KBBoss302

Established Member
I just had an RST and lightened steel flyweel put in my Boss today. Since new, I have had high rpm lockout. Have tried everything, including Spec Stg1 and lightened alloy flywheel, and nothing helped. I researched the heck out of it, talked to tons of vendors/experts and talked to McLeod itself who recommended the RXT but I went with the RST based on it's supposedly slightly more friendly nature. I only got to drive about 40 miles today and yes it shuddered quite a bit but in the short time I drove it, it started to go away. I might not get a chance to drive it for a few more days but overall it seems like a great improvement - very light pedal, easy shifting, and I got one 7500rpm shift in (I could not resist!) and it went in so smoothly that it actually surprised me because it has NEVER done that.

Anyway, I have my fingers crossed that it really will work.

StalkerStang

Established Member
Glad to hear it. I would love to do the RST package but its just not in the budget.

I'll look into the Spec 2+ as well as the Mcleod Street Extreme.

Users who are viewing this thread